Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
You’re totally right. But Idk what happened with mine because it’s completely stock besides a mbrp catback exhaust that was on the car when I bought it. if there’s any coolant in the cylinder, does that mean it needs a new engine? I have a full warranty for another two years but I’m really just curious because I don’t want the same issue to just reoccur later if they just fix the head gasket
Great news! Glad you have a warranty!!
And I agree with your thinking. Just don't fix the broken part, fix what caused it to break.
But when techs are overworked and repair shops are overbooked, this doesn't always happen.
I recommend pushing for a new motor!

Reactions: Buldawg76

· Registered
50 Posts
Xs
From all my research and parts diagram/number comparison with my local ford parts buddy there has been no update to the 2.3 block from 2019 up so to say they fixed the issue for 2020+ motors is just not true. I cannot say where the drawings the "makuloco" video come from since the current parts diagram's show the slit between the cylinders in the 2020+ blocks versus the cross drilled in the video. He does state the cross drilled block is for the 2.0L motor. It may be that the service manual diagrams used in the IDS/Oasis system that the techs use are in fact more up to date than the parts diagrams, but I cannot confirm this either. I do know the part number for the blocks is the same between 2019 and 2020+ so i do not believe there has been any revisions made.

If the head gasket is blown it also damages the open deck block sealing surfaces, so ford is recommending complete long block replacement versus just head gasket replacement. If just the head gasket is replaced with no block or head replacement, it's pretty much a sure bet it will fail again in short order.

BD
you’re correct all ecoboost mustsng 2.3 engines are the same the only thing is they ford/other companies made a new improved head gasket, for my built block I’m running a ford focus rs MLS head gasket sold by EMS and the ford focus rs has a 2.3 ecoboost engine from the mustang they use a different turbo and the engine is mounted side ways and awd but the engines are all the same the problem is the short block is weak for the power it makes so it cracks or exploded in my case lolll and usually the head gasket went out but I never had a head gasket issue that’s why the ford focus st has a 2.0 block which is stronger than the 2.3 short block ford made buttt the 2.3 makes more power that’s why you can put a 2.0 st block with a 2.3 cylinder head and make hella power but as the issue for OP check ur coolant do an oil change if it’s chocolate milk yea …. Also check to see if ur losing coolant or how much oil burned

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Xs

you’re correct all ecoboost mustsng 2.3 engines are the same the only thing is they ford/other companies made a new improved head gasket, for my built block I’m running a ford focus rs MLS head gasket sold by EMS and the ford focus rs has a 2.3 ecoboost engine from the mustang they use a different turbo and the engine is mounted side ways and awd but the engines are all the same the problem is the short block is weak for the power it makes so it cracks or exploded in my case lolll and usually the head gasket went out but I never had a head gasket issue that’s why the ford focus st has a 2.0 block which is stronger than the 2.3 short block ford made buttt the 2.3 makes more power that’s why you can put a 2.0 st block with a 2.3 cylinder head and make hella power but as the issue for OP check ur coolant do an oil change if it’s chocolate milk yea …. Also check to see if ur losing coolant or how much oil burned
You are correct that the Focus ST has a stronger block since it is a semi closed deck block versus the open deck block in the mustang. The difference between the 2.0L and 2.3L is the stroke since they are the same bore size and why builders use the 2.0L ST block to build HIPO 2.3L motors. The aftermarket will always fill the gaps that the new car manufactures leave open due to time and money constraints imposed by the bean counters.

I think ford made a huge mistake not using the ST block in the mustang especially since they increased the power to the point that the open deck block is overly stressed stock. You start making more power and you shorten its lifespan dramatically.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great news! Glad you have a warranty!!
And I agree with your thinking. Just don't fix the broken part, fix what caused it to break.
But when techs are overworked and repair shops are overbooked, this doesn't always happen.
I recommend pushing for a new motor!
defintely. I don’t want the same thing happening down the road with no warranty. The shop I’m bringing it to is a great shop but I guess we will see. Thanks for the info!

· Registered
1,150 Posts
You are correct that the Focus ST has a stronger block since it is a semi closed deck block versus the open deck block in the mustang. The difference between the 2.0L and 2.3L is the stroke since they are the same bore size and why builders use the 2.0L ST block to build HIPO 2.3L motors. The aftermarket will always fill the gaps that the new car manufactures leave open due to time and money constraints imposed by the bean counters.

I think ford made a huge mistake not using the ST block in the mustang especially since they increased the power to the point that the open deck block is overly stressed stock. You start making more power and you shorten its lifespan dramatically.

BD
LOL, so the easy solution to saving your engine is to run 87, with its inherent reduction in power!

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
defintely. I don’t want the same thing happening down the road with no warranty. The shop I’m bringing it to is a great shop but I guess we will see. Thanks for the info!
Here's a YouTube video from a guy who was able to take the time and explore the cause of Ecoboost head gasket failure.
PS: For a daily driver, I don't recommend more than 20 lbs of boost or 34 lbs of TIP/PTBP with a stock long block with factory turbocharger and OEM downpipe and cat.
Light Product Font Office equipment Audio equipment

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
LOL, so the easy solution to saving your engine is to run 87, with its inherent reduction in power!
No... I don't think so!?? I even run 89 octane or E15 in my Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost Titanium.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
No, running 87 octane fuel will help bring about an early demise of your engine since it will be much more prone to suffer from detonation and LSPI. At least 91+ only.

BD

· Registered
50 Posts
The best solution is upgrade your fuel pressure sensor Parker performance sells the maintenance kit spark plugs, Fuel pressure sensor , and the boost reference line that’s connected to the bov and last but most important lol KEEP THE CAR STOCK lolll it’ll be a good daily but once you push more than 20psi that’s stock max boost you’re taking that risk race car lollll

· Registered
50 Posts
Here's a YouTube video from a guy who was able to take the time and explore the cause of Ecoboost head gasket failure.
PS: For a daily driver, I don't recommend more than 20 lbs of boost or 34 lbs of TIP/PTBP with a stock long block with factory turbocharger and OEM downpipe and cat.
View attachment 44110
Yep 20 psi is stock Max boost loll I was pushing 25-26psi on the stock turbo pushed a good 400 hp it ran for a good while but it finally took a **** lollll but I also raced the car every time I got in it so I’m not surprised lol

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Yep 20 psi is stock Max boost loll I was pushing 25-26psi on the stock turbo pushed a good 400 hp it ran for a good while but it finally took a **** lollll but I also raced the car every time I got in it so I’m not surprised lol
I'll admit that mine is currently tuned at 24 lbs of boost, per my request. And if my car wasn't modified, I could be pushing as much as 40 lbs of Turbine Intake Pressure (that number is borrowed from a turner, who posted on another forum). However, I should be able to get some hard numbers in the next few months as I return to the track, equipped with an IMAP/EMAP sensor tapped into my ECU and developed by Jessie Ringley of EMS (engineered motorsport solutions).

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I have the ford performance tune in mine and it maxs out at 24 psi boost at WOT so if ford itself feels that they can cover it under warranty for 3/36 then I feel that is the safe limit for boost. The engineers at ford have far more tools at their disposal to perform research and development on the platforms than most of the aftermarket. Mine stock was 20 psi max as well.

BD

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I have the ford performance tune in mine and it maxs out at 24 psi boost at WOT so if ford itself feels that they can cover it under warranty for 3/36 then I feel that is the safe limit for boost. The engineers at ford have far more tools at their disposal to perform research and development on the platforms than most of the aftermarket. Mine stock was 20 psi max as well.

BD
You and your car, give me peace of mind! If it's good enough for Ford, it's OK with me! You have a good factory tune, and I have a good aftermarket tune. But there are a few guys with laptops pushing several ecoboost motors (with stock turbochargers) up to 29/30 lbs of boost, that's almost as crazy as telling someone to log thier motor while traveling at over 100 mph on a public streets!??

· Registered
1,656 Posts
You and your car, give me peace of mind! If it's good enough for Ford, it's OK with me! You have a good factory tune, and I have a good aftermarket tune. But there are a few guys with laptops pushing several ecoboost motors (with stock turbochargers) up to 29/30 lbs of boost, that's almost as crazy as telling someone to log thier motor while traveling at over 100 mph on a public streets!??
I agree with you on the peace of mind that 24psi is the safe limit for boost on a stock blocked eco. I had my FP tune since may of 2022 with just over 7K on the clock and now have right at 12K on it now with no issues out of it. I went on the Hot Rod power tour back in June that was a 1500 mile road trip thru hades with ambient temps of 100+ degrees every day of the 5 day trip and it never whimpered even getting stuck in a traffic jam from an accident in Atlanta idling with the A/C on for over an hour.

Did 3 dyno pulls in Pensacola in 100 degree temps with IAT2 temps over 130 degrees and it still did 264 RWHP and 380 RWTQ, also have pushed it to the speed limiter of 122mph several times at WOT and recorded 1/4 mile runs of 13.8 at 104mph.

Pushing past 24 psi boost on stock motor is definitely an ecoboom waiting to happen. There will always be those who want to find the limit, heck I used to be one of those guys with my KZ drag bike.

Just not anymore for health and monetary reasons.

BD

· Registered
50 Posts
I agree with you on the peace of mind that 24psi is the safe limit for boost on a stock blocked eco. I had my FP tune since may of 2022 with just over 7K on the clock and now have right at 12K on it now with no issues out of it. I went on the Hot Rod power tour back in June that was a 1500 mile road trip thru hades with ambient temps of 100+ degrees every day of the 5 day trip and it never whimpered even getting stuck in a traffic jam from an accident in Atlanta idling with the A/C on for over an hour.

Did 3 dyno pulls in Pensacola in 100 degree temps with IAT2 temps over 130 degrees and it still did 264 RWHP and 380 RWTQ, also have pushed it to the speed limiter of 122mph several times at WOT and recorded 1/4 mile runs of 13.8 at 104mph.

Pushing past 24 psi boost on stock motor is definitely an ecoboom waiting to happen. There will always be those who want to find the limit, heck I used to be one of those guys with my KZ drag bike.

Just not anymore for health and monetary reasons.

BD
I definitely pushed those limits 🤣🤣 but nah 29-30psi on stock turbo is doable but it’s just to much stress you’re asking for it just blow up , you can push that much psi with an upgraded turbo but even then less psi on the bigger turbo makes more power my car was tuned several revisions to make more and more power I was running an e-30 mix as well on map slot 2 which is cool you can change with the steering wheel control what map you wanna run but at the end of the day the short block is it’s weakens once you pass 450 hp it’s doomed to ECOBOOM stock I was pushing close to 400. Hp but like I said I raced it every day loll I don’t have a daily bc I don’t go anywhere 🤣and I got a work truck so the only time I drove my car was to MASH the peddle loll but my boy who’s out Cali he’s pushing 400hp confirmed dyno on the stock turbo and turbo smart waste gate his motor is still stock he’s finally getting the nx2 he has the 10 speed its auto I know that but his has been healthy no ECOBOOM

· Registered
50 Posts
I definitely pushed those limits 🤣🤣 but nah 29-30psi on stock turbo is doable but it’s just to much stress you’re asking for it just blow up , you can push that much psi with an upgraded turbo but even then less psi on the bigger turbo makes more power my car was tuned several revisions to make more and more power I was running an e-30 mix as well on map slot 2 which is cool you can change with the steering wheel control what map you wanna run but at the end of the day the short block is it’s weakens once you pass 450 hp it’s doomed to ECOBOOM stock I was pushing close to 400. Hp but like I said I raced it every day loll I don’t have a daily bc I don’t go anywhere 🤣and I got a work truck so the only time I drove my car was to MASH the peddle loll but my boy who’s out Cali he’s pushing 400hp confirmed dyno on the stock turbo and turbo smart waste gate his motor is still stock he’s finally getting the nx2 he has the 10 speed its auto I know that but his has been healthy no ECOBOOM
Oh he’s also running the xdi 35 HPFP i Believe it’s the cheaper one so thats less stress there and he’s got catch cans , The first day I got the ecoboost I took it to Mexico to figure out it’s limit 3 runs was it before the stock interocoler over heated and my car went into limp mode since then I’ve been modding every little thing

· Registered
629 Posts
I would recommend getting the CFM Valve cover breather or similar to help prevent head gasket failures in the future. I have only ever used the CFM so that is the only one I can recommend.

Here is my post about the CFM breather.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I would recommend getting the CFM Valve cover breather or similar to help prevent head gasket failures in the future. I have only ever used the CFM so that is the only one I can recommend.

Here is my post about the CFM breather.

Yep, I recommend getting one as well. Here is the same part also and is a UPR branded part but just comes in black only but 20 bucks cheaper.

Billet One-Way Valve Cover Crankcase Breather Kit - Eliminate Crankcase Pressure | eBay

BD

21 - 40 of 53 Posts