Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Spotted this, concerning 4 cylinder/turbocharged motors.
I'll save you some time, our 2.3 motor isn't on it! nor is the 2.0!!
Yes the 1.6 motor is indeed on the list, but only the 1.6!
Organism Font Motor vehicle History Auto part

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I am still convinced that the “issues” with our engine is confined to a select portion of Mustang purchasers, and is not really representative of the engine’s reliability as a whole. The are tens of thousands of them running around seemingly obvious to Ecoboom and head gasket issues (not to mention the LFPS).

· Registered
2019 EcoBoost performance package
266 Posts
I am still convinced that the “issues” with our engine is confined to a select portion of Mustang purchasers, and is not really representative of the engine’s reliability as a whole. The are tens of thousands of them running around seemingly obvious to Ecoboom and head gasket issues (not to mention the LFPS).
The "failure" rate or "EcoBoom" is probably inflated in everyone's mind for one simple reason. If someone has a failure they post something about it. But if your car is running fine no one is posting "hey, my car is running great". So the failure is highlighted and will be the the posting that people remember.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Interesting article and wonder why the 2.0/2.3l engines are not included. What are the differences in design between the 1.6 and the bigger motors. Lots of questions needing answers.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
That's what I don't like about the guys video.
He makes a bold statement without looking at the big picture.
He should have more inside information from Ford, than what is available to the average owner/builder.
But, instead of leaves his fans in the dark.
He needs to dig a little deeper and do a little investigation and post a follow up!

Check his video out, give it a thumbs down and leave a comment, asking him for another video explaining his statement!!?

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I agree that his videos are informative yet lacking in good follow up info or more in-depth analysis. I am not really even sure he is an actual ford tech but possibly just an independent shop that specializes in fords.

He definitely leaves us in the dark at times for sure with many unanswered questions. I will try to leave some comments but not being a YT subscriber in the past I have not been successful.

BD

· Registered
19 Posts
To my understanding it was years 2017-2019 that had the issue. I believe they fixed the issue 2020 and newer. In 2017-2019 Ford used this little groove between the cylinders to cool them but little surface area for the gasket so over time the coolant leaks past the gasket into the cylinders. I took have a 2018 so I know at some point I'm going to have this issue.
I agree but I don't like that....I have an 18 and this comes up too often

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I don't believe the groove is as much of an issue as being an open deck block the lack of support of the cylinders at the top of the bores allows for distortion and movement of the gasket between the head and block which over time gradually weakens the gasket allowing it to leak and eventually blow. Then if you over boost the engine with a big power tune you also suffer with head lift with the stock head bolts.

It is just simply a poor design for a turbo block not to have some support at the top of the cylinders to prevent their distortion. They got it right with the 2.0L TS blocks that are used to build high HP motors in the aftermarket world. It's a bean counters ultimate end decision as to what engineering can spend in production. The failure rate is obliviously not high enough to warrant the added cost for a closed deck or even semi closed deck block.

BD

· Registered
48 Posts
I don't believe the groove is as much of an issue as being an open deck block the lack of support of the cylinders at the top of the bores allows for distortion and movement of the gasket between the head and block which over time gradually weakens the gasket allowing it to leak and eventually blow. Then if you over boost the engine with a big power tune you also suffer with head lift with the stock head bolts.

It is just simply a poor design for a turbo block not to have some support at the top of the cylinders to prevent their distortion. They got it right with the 2.0L TS blocks that are used to build high HP motors in the aftermarket world. It's a bean counters ultimate end decision as to what engineering can spend in production. The failure rate is obliviously not high enough to warrant the added cost for a closed deck or even semi closed deck block.

BD
But BD why did Ford change the groove to a tunnel then? 2 factors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,656 Posts
But BD why did Ford change the groove to a tunnel then? 2 factors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My understanding from the makuloco video is that the groove is still in the 2.3l block but the 2.0L blocks in the escapes and edges got the cross drilling. I have not been able to confirm that with my parts buddy by researching the ford parts diagrams for the 2.0L and 2.3L blocks so not sure if the pics in the service manual side are showing different images than what the part manuals show.

I do believe the cross drilling is a better solution/design but unsure why it is not for all 2.3 and 2.0L blocks. Still best design is the focus TS semi closed deck block for performance builds.

BD

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Warranty company is only covering new head gasket because they found no damage to the head or block. I also have to pay for new spark plugs and coolant flush but isn’t covered under warranty. I figured it would because it’s not from wear and tear, it’s damaged caused by the head gasket issue

· Registered
48 Posts
Warranty company is only covering new head gasket because they found no damage to the head or block. I also have to pay for new spark plugs and coolant flush but isn’t covered under warranty. I figured it would because it’s not from wear and tear, it’s damaged caused by the head gasket issue
You’re lucky a 3rd party company is even paying for a head gasket.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts