Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Borg-Warner efr 7163 turbo and cpe exhaust manifold are now in my possession and I’m going to work with raceclubfabrication located in riverside California to get everything installed and custom fabricated to fit. I was wondering if there is anything else I’m going to need like a Mac 3 port boost control solenoid or a turbo speed gauge before I get started. All my oil/coolant lines are being custom made to fit perfectly and I have all the hardware to install it also. Also going to try to modify and fabricate my existing cpe charge pipe and downpipe so I don’t have to make a whole new one to fit. Just want to make sure there are no necessary accessories that the turbo needs while I’m getting all the work done. Also does this look like an good estimate to you guys or does it look high?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know it's custom work and all, but they sure gave themselves a ton of leeway with that estimate. It could be anywhere between $1,000 and three and a half times that? I don't pay anyone to do much for me, but I'd be looking for a little tighter estimate if it was me, or at least an understanding of what would trigger the higher price. Then again, if you're satisfied with the estimate, and trust their work, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He told me he’s hoping it would land on the lighter side, he put leeway in the estimate because he doesn’t know how much trouble the turbo and exhaust manifold are going to give him since those parts get heat cycled. He’s also the only person I can find around me who’s interested in the setup and wants to do it. Can’t even get estimates from other people who are interested because it’s “custom work”

·
Registered
385 Posts
He told me he’s hoping it would land on the lighter side, he put leeway in the estimate because he doesn’t know how much trouble the turbo and exhaust manifold are going to give him since those parts get heat cycled. He’s also the only person I can find around me who’s interested in the setup and wants to do it. Can’t even get estimates from other people who are interested because it’s “custom work”
Finding someone willing seems to be half the battle. The fact that he even understands what you want to do also seems somewhat rare in the world today. Good luck with your project. Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks to me like you will be well treated. Anyone who has the skills and experience to do custom work can operate one of two ways. They can build in an large amount of profit in every job to cover the jobs that end up eating a lot of time OR they can be a professional and say, here's what's really involved and where I might run into trouble, and then give you a detailed description of work that addresses the likely costs range, like this bid did.

So I would ask myself, how long has this guy been in business? That or personal referrals would make the decision for me. If he is bating people in the door with bids that look low or fair only to consistently charge at the high end of the estimate range, he'll get a bad name and won't last long. If he's good and fair, he'll have been in business awhile. Otherwise your alternative if wanting an exact, guaranteed bid is some sky high place who probably doesn't give a **** about you anyway.

Those shops like this one that spend the time to work up a bid and explain it all are usually run by fair people in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback you guys! I’ll post some pictures and maybe make a build thread once it’s complete. Taking the car in Monday for the magic to happen. Short block next but not sure what company I want to get a built block from yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback you guys! I’ll post some pictures and maybe make a build thread once it’s complete. Taking the car in Monday for the magic to happen. Short block next but not sure what company I want to get a built block from yet.
Sounds good! Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why a short block and not a long block? If you want to push the engine beyond 500-550whp, you’ll need upgraded cams and valves springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts