Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Brake Dust

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  steve.amestoyjr 
#1 ·
Will the brake dust ever stop coming off these pads on the 4 piston caliper PP brakes? I've never seen so much dust come off a pair of pads. Any recommendations for a different pad that will still perform well without all the dust? Car has 2500 miles and the front rims are dusted out daily [emoji2361]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Not sure what pads are in my 16 EBPP brakes (same), but I get very little to no dust and I have polished/hyper silver wheels.

Any ceramic pad should help you out with that. I've had great luck with Centric rotors and pads (posi-quiet). They're not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, and have a great reputation for good quality.

#3 ·
Never really saw that much brake dust either if I'm honest and I'm on my second set of pads.

#5 ·
Hard to avoid brake dust on the PP front brakes... But applying a ceramic coating to the wheels , can make a world of difference to dust sticking and easier to clean them.
Usually, a high pressure water hose is all that is needed once a week.

#9 ·
I'm glad you brought this up. I just watched a You Tube video from Larry at Ammo NYC, where he put a ceramic coating (his own brand) on the brake calipers and wheels of a Ferrari. They looked awesome afterwards and his brand claims two years of protection. As far as brake dust goes, my Mustang doesn't dust the wheels nearly as much as my Focus RS! It dusts the wheels after driving it only a few miles. I'm going to try ceramic coating both cars and see what goes???

Reactions: Go Further
#7 ·
#8 ·
If your wheels are not ceramic coated, I can highly recommend Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner.
Just spray it on, let it for work its magic for 2 to 4 minutes, then hose off with a high pressure washer.
The brake dust turns purple as the cleaner reacts, and just falls off.
(Great for cleaning the brake dust and grime off your brake calipers at the same time, leaving them all shiny and new looking).

#10 ·
Well I took the plunge and swapped out the front stock 4 piston brake pads with Powerstop Z26 pads and couldn't be more pleased! Can't feel any difference in stopping power and the brake dust is damn near non existent. Took longer to jack up the car and pull the tires then it did to actually swap the pads.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.