Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested I buy used (or new) calipers and rotors from a GT and swap them into my EcoBoost. A lot of GT owners upgrade their stock calipers to even better ones, and it's easy to find their old calipers for cheap, sometimes with very low mileage on them.

My question is other than Caliper, Rotors, and Pads. What other components or issues do I need to consider. Are all other components on the brake system compatible. I know the EcoBoost Peformance Package features that upgrade, but I'm not sure the exact parts that are changed. I already have 18" Wheels, so there should be enough room. Not sure if they would if I had 17".

Background:
I like to take my 2015 EcoBoost to Track Days. These take place around 6 times each year, and on each one I can do easily over 20 Laps throughout the day .

So far the brakes have been OK-ish, and a little better after I changed the pads to Hawk Performance HPS. I did get some burnt smell in their first track use, but I think they just needed more time to bed in, they've been better on the following ones. I have had 2nd thoughts if I should have gone for a more aggressive compound, but at the time I didn't want to sacrifice street "comfort". By that I mean noise and brake response when the pads are cold.

So I could just go a little more aggressive on my next Brake Pads purchase. OR I could just swap to GT brakes. Comments?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Upgrading to the GT brakes should be simple, they are a direct replacement from the factory ones from what I've found. They can be found fairly easily as you've stated as well. I just picked up a front a rear set or GT brakes and lines that were taken off a car with about 50 miles on it for $300, so if you keep your eyes out you can get a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Also dont forget to change out the master cylinder. The plunger as has a bigger bore to deliver more fuild to the bigger breaks.

·
Super Moderator
3,067 Posts
the guy to ask is @ZStang since he just did this on his car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also dont forget to change out the master cylinder. The plunger as has a bigger bore to deliver more fuild to the bigger breaks.
That's what I was thinking, but AFAIK the aftermarket kits Ford sells doesn't change the master cylinder. IDK about the factory options.

IRT Twign:
Also, good heads-up on the 19" wheels. I don't plan to change them soon, so the biggest I can probably go is the 4-piston calipers with 14" rotors.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Upgrading to the GT brakes should be simple, they are a direct replacement from the factory ones from what I've found. They can be found fairly easily as you've stated as well. I just picked up a front a rear set or GT brakes and lines that were taken off a car with about 50 miles on it for $300, so if you keep your eyes out you can get a pretty good deal.
Just completed this very thing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
No master cylinder upgrade needed for stock EcoBoost brakes to 4 piston GT brakes. Only need to upgrade master cylinder if you are going to 6 piston Brembos.

I just changed my car to 4 piston GT calipers rotors for the front and the vented system for the rear. No issues at all, just bolt on and bleed the system well.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
I run 18" LMR wheels over the 4 piston GT brake calipers.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To those who have upgraded to 2-piston calipers to 4-piston of the stock gt (or pp eco):

Any observations/comments about the installation?

How do they feel in terms of performance and every day driving?

·
Registered
858 Posts
To those who have upgraded to 2-piston calipers to 4-piston of the stock gt (or pp eco):

Any observations/comments about the installation?

How do they feel in terms of performance and every day driving?
Straight forward easy upgrade. Just make sure when you bleed them, start at the farthest from master cylinder and work forward. Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front outer then inner, then drivers last. There is a bunch of air in the 4 pistons and you will need a large jug of fluid.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Braking is tons better than stock brakes. This thing stops on a dime and straight as an arrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts