Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just upgraded from base 2 piston to 4 piston GT brakes,
So, what's your reaction? My stock non-PP brakes are pretty dang good right now, so am curious of your input after the change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, what's your reaction? My stock non-PP brakes are pretty dang good right now, so am curious of your input after the change.
Honestly, I did it for the looks, I couldn't stand the way the smaller rotors looked with 19inch wheels. My breaks were fine before as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Temperature after back-to-back hard bracking. Like a Track Day.

On Average temperatures, your breaking performance is usually limited by the grip of the tyres. But once the pads and rotors really heat up, that limit can shift to those parts.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Temperature after back-to-back hard bracking. Like a Track Day.

On Average temperatures, your breaking performance is usually limited by the grip of the tyres. But once the pads and rotors really heat up, that limit can shift to those parts.
Understand the physics involved, but I was looking for anecdotal input about perceived change from someone who had just changed over (thanks, @CricketSP). I agree wholeheartedly with you @jstefan; I'm just wondering just how much of an improvement there would be for a DD. My major apprehension about the swap is, believe it or not, having an even lighter pedal pressure. As far as I'm concerned, the booster is already too strong, and increasing the hydraulic advantage by adding four more pistons would, in my mind, make the pedal touchier yet. I apply the same rational as Ford uses with the power steering booster: if the steering force goes up in the Sport modes, why would you want the brake pedal so light? I like to have a little feedback from the brake pedal, especially when heel-toe tactics are applied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Understand the physics involved, but I was looking for anecdotal input about perceived change from someone who had just changed over (thanks, @CricketSP). I agree wholeheartedly with you @jstefan; I'm just wondering just how much of an improvement there would be for a DD. My major apprehension about the swap is, believe it or not, having an even lighter pedal pressure. As far as I'm concerned, the booster is already too strong, and increasing the hydraulic advantage by adding four more pistons would, in my mind, make the pedal touchier yet. I apply the same rational as Ford uses with the power steering booster: if the steering force goes up in the Sport modes, why would you want the brake pedal so light? I like to have a little feedback from the brake pedal, especially when heel-toe tactics are applied.
I upgraded my EB PP from the GT brakes to the GT PP (6 piston) brakes. This was necessitated ONLY due to track (HPDE) use. If you are just driving on the street, the 4 piston/14" rotor brakes are more than enough. As to any difference in "feel" between the GT and the GT PP brakes, not much on the street.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking for a good deal on these. What's a solid price I should be looking out for? 2015 GT 4 piston calipers w/o rotor

Looking for front and rear

Thanks guys

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looking for a good deal on these. What's a solid price I should be looking out for? 2015 GT 4 piston calipers w/o rotor

Looking for front and rear

Thanks guys
Around $200 for the fronts used and $100 for the rears used. The 2 places I used to get mine are out right now but you can find them on Ebay just be sure to check out the seller

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks folks for all the info. Been lurking on this. I got a set of GT brake calipers off of the ol' Facebook Marketplace.
They came off a 2017 GT. Front and rear calipers. No rotors, looking back I maybe should have asked, total was $180. Always meet in a public and safe place! Ikea (because meatballs too).
I'm in the process of cleaning them and preppin' for GT paint. It was a lucky deal for me, becuase what mostly kills the deals on these is the shipping. I've scoped out all the suggested ebay places recommended. I tried to use the junkyard search where I found my mirror when it was damaged, but no luck. I ordered a brakes hardware kit from LMR, since I was missing a pin and clip.
Rotors are expensive in comparison, O'Riley's, Advanced Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys, all charge quite a bit for them. On
M6G there was mention of Brake Motive rotors. And it seems people on corvette and camaro forums used them too. Not really sure if they're PowerStop manufacture or knocks off, I ordered a set and it came with PowerStop Z16 pads. Looked in R1 too, my instagram kept poppin' those ads.

Oh wtf... Kobe Byrant died... Anyways... Thanks for the knowledge, I see a 50/50 mix of using ecoboost brake lines or getting new ones. It seems Stoptech and Techna-Fit both have stainless steel lines that are DOT. Anyone got any experience? Both would come to about the same price (stoptech on Amazon), $115-ish for a set. But, I could get technafit in colors...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ordered a set of Brakemotive rotors and the front and back were two different colors. They are still sitting in a box in the garage. They were for the standard Ecoboost brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Upgrading to the GT brakes should be simple, they are a direct replacement from the factory ones from what I've found. They can be found fairly easily as you've stated as well. I just picked up a front a rear set or GT brakes and lines that were taken off a car with about 50 miles on it for $300, so if you keep your eyes out you can get a pretty good deal.
Can you use the base brake lines with the 4 rotor performance pack caliper? or do I need to buy the line also?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered a set of Brakemotive rotors and the front and back were two different colors. They are still sitting in a box in the garage. They were for the standard Ecoboost brakes.
oh Yikes. I tried to avoid that by getting Mustang GT. I installed them 2 weeks ago. Didn't have the hardware, so I had to order it via LMR. TBH wished I could have gotten a GT used stock set, these Brakemotive do make me worry a bit.

Can you use the base brake lines with the 4 rotor performance pack caliper? or do I need to buy the line also?
I used the rear ones Just fine. It's not like back in the old days, when like getting parts for a Honda civic or toyota corolla, no auto-parts store had OEM style lines in store, all were online orders (including the rotors/pads). I got StopTech steel for the fronts, and they mounted fine. I had enough length to reuse the stock ones. I think others at m6g and here mentioned the front line wasn't long enough. I was beyond return period for the SS lines, so I used them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh Yikes. I tried to avoid that by getting Mustang GT. I installed them 2 weeks ago. Didn't have the hardware, so I had to order it via LMR. TBH wished I could have gotten a GT used stock set, these Brakemotive do make me worry a bit.

I used the rear ones Just fine. It's not like back in the old days, when like getting parts for a Honda civic or toyota corolla, no auto-parts store had OEM style lines in store, all were online orders (including the rotors/pads). I got StopTech steel for the fronts, and they mounted fine. I had enough length to reuse the stock ones. I think others at m6g and here mentioned the front line wasn't long enough. I was beyond return period for the SS lines, so I used them.
Then in theory to upgrade my base brakes i need the 4 piston gt calipers, dust covers and rotors. nothing more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Then in theory to upgrade my base brakes i need the 4 piston gt calipers, dust covers and rotors. nothing more?
I used my regular base dust covers. The rear, it's thicker when going to the GT brakes, but for diameter wise, I didn't bother with dust shield. You just need the calipers, rotors and hardware. (I used this one at LMR) but any other will be fine because the take-off calipers I had was missing the pins for it.

The calipers should be fine, I don't know what your idea of high mileage is, I put 60k on my car before going to the GT upgrade. The calipers and rotors are still fine, would turn them once and I'd be okay. But then again, a GT driver or PP driver may have been more aggressive. I commute 64 miles daily, or did before covid, so I put on a lot in 3.5 years. I don't there will be that many used calipers over 100k out there for the 2015-2017 in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you asking whether base brake lines can be used with 4 piston, or whether 4 piston lines can be used with 6 piston? I can't speak to the former, but I can confirm that "4 to 6" is a yes. I did it on mine.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts