Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did an engine swap, engines brand new ive alrady droven 432 miles on this engine -
should I change my oil soon or rn?
and around how many miles until its "broken in" ? so i can start giving it a little more. I havent even gone past 3kRPM

EDIT_-------------- i have failed lmfao

the car will sometimes not shift when into 2nd to 3rd - the rpms will skyrocket but the speed stays the same- my knock circuit is going off- i hear my turbo spool but it sounds almsot as if its spiiting the boost out not into the engine. i have about 1600 miles on the engines problems started at about 1500miles after going for some light racing. nothing higher then 5krpms was that what caused it?

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
91 Posts
Default to your tuner/engine builder. As a general rule of thumb, most engines are broken in at about 1000 miles, generally you want be fairly easy on it for the first couple hundred miles and then after that you want to be taking it through out the rev range with light/medium load on the engine (ie don't sit in just one gear, bring it down to third, take it to fourth, bring it back down again, and so on). Given you are on 432 miles on the new engine you can probably begin to take it outside of 3K RPM, but again default to your engine builder/tuner for their advice.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree with PonyHPP - at 432 miles, stop being easy on it. I would not run it like you are trying to blow it up, but it needs to run through its operating range, driven with moderate acceleration like you would normally drive any car and occasionally run it hard, 75% to full throttle. Roll into the throttle, as is do not floor it from a dead stop as that puts tremendous stress on the engine but do start with moderate acceleration and go full throttle once under way. It needs to be drive at the full range of rpm for everything to seat properly. Make sure you warm it up, drive easy until the OIL is up to operating temperature - you should do this through the life of the car. Do NOT lug the engine, keep the revs up - also do this for the life of the car. From most accounts, ecoboom (if that's even a thing) happens when car is lugged and then comes into high boost from low rpm by the application of a lot of throttle. Good luck and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
All sounds like good advice to me. I couldn't find that Ford uses any special break-in oil, so I assumed it is the usual Motorcraft synthetic blend in there. I dumped it at 500 miles, refilled with the blend, dumped at 1500, refilled with the blend, then full synthetic at 3000 and thereafter. Probably overkill, but it's only new once.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
A good oil change regime can only benefit at little cost.
It's the perfect example of pay me now or pay me later scenario. Oil is cheap compared to rebuilding engine.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Just did an engine swap, engines brand new ive alrady droven 432 miles on this engine -
should I change my oil soon or rn?
and around how many miles until its "broken in" ? so i can start giving it a little more. I havent even gone past 3kRPM
Sounds like you've gotten some very good advice! Something else you may want to check is for anything loose. On my last build, I didn't have any motor issues, but I did find a few external bolts that had backed off a touch and a loose hose clamp.
Also, remember to keep your RPMs up and never lug your motor.

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, remember to keep your RPMs up and never lug your motor.
Just a quick question on this.

Is this all the time or only if you are going to be getting on it a bit harder? I drive a 500 Mile round trip a couple of times a month and love the 36 MPG I can get out of this by just letting it glide along in 10th at its leisure. As I approach a toll plaza, pull out to pass hard, or any other situation where I might accelerate harder than normal I pull it down into sport and let it come out of 10th. Once I have accelerated back and clicked on the cruise I put it back to normal mode.

Any harm in cruising at 65 or 70 with the engine lopping along at 1500 RPMs or so?

·
Registered
91 Posts

Is this all the time or only if you are going to be getting on it a bit harder? I drive a 500 Mile round trip a couple of times a month and love the 36 MPG I can get out of this by just letting it glide along in 10th at its leisure. As I approach a toll plaza, pull out to pass hard, or any other situation where I might accelerate harder than normal I pull it down into sport and let it come out of 10th. Once I have accelerated back and clicked on the cruise I put it back to normal mode.

Any harm in cruising at 65 or 70 with the engine lopping along at 1500 RPMs or so?
You should be good. In theory the auto will 'prevent' you from lugging it. That said, make sure you aren't stabbing the throttle if you are at low RPM's (such as cruising, right off the line at a stop light), roll into it. I find this gives the 10A enough time to go, oh I see you want power (it downshifts) and gets the RPM's out of the 'danger' zone. That said I'm on the Ford Performance Tune and mostly DD in Sport+ unless conditions call for something different. So your mileage/may vary.

As long as your out of engine break in I wouldn't be worried about it sitting at low rpm's at those speeds. Personally if you have paddles, just use those rather than popping it into sport, it should hold the gears if you want to pass. And again, can't emphasize this enough, don't jab the throttle, smoothly roll on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be good. In theory the auto will 'prevent' you from lugging it. That said, make sure you aren't stabbing the throttle if you are at low RPM's (such as cruising, right off the line at a stop light), roll into it. I find this gives the 10A enough time to go, oh I see you want power (it downshifts) and gets the RPM's out of the 'danger' zone. That said I'm on the Ford Performance Tune and mostly DD in Sport+ unless conditions call for something different. So your mileage/may vary.

As long as your out of engine break in I wouldn't be worried about it sitting at low rpm's at those speeds. Personally if you have paddles, just use those rather than popping it into sport, it should hold the gears if you want to pass. And again, can't emphasize this enough, don't jab the throttle, smoothly roll on it.
Great! Thanks for the advice. I have 33K on it so long out of the break in as I bought it used with about 30K on it. Only had it for a couple of months.

Good idea on the paddles. I don't use them much as I get confused about how they actually work. Sometimes they seem to stick in the gear I select and other times after a time they go away and revert to the tranny taking over.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts

Seems like good driving habits. When I travel by car, I drive my Ecoboost Fusion and just leave it in normal drive with the cruise control on and then shut it off at the toll booths... But, I kinda like the idea of shifting it into "sport" for slowing down and especially for getting back up to speed!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great! Thanks for the advice. I have 33K on it so long out of the break in as I bought it used with about 30K on it. Only had it for a couple of months.

Good idea on the paddles. I don't use them much as I get confused about how they actually work. Sometimes they seem to stick in the gear I select and other times after a time they go away and revert to the tranny taking over.
If you are in D, then they'll revert after sometime which is what you should rely on when passing while cruising. It will hold gears if your transmission is in S mode. So just be mindful of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are in D, then they'll revert after sometime which is what you should rely on when passing while cruising. It will hold gears if your transmission is in S mode. So just be mindful of that.
Ok, that makes sense now. So in sport mode to get it back to the tranny taking over do I just upshift with the paddles all the way to 10th or is there another trick to letting the computer take over again without shifting out of sport mode?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok, that makes sense now. So in sport mode to get it back to the tranny taking over do I just upshift with the paddles all the way to 10th or is there another trick to letting the computer take over again without shifting out of sport mode?
If you are in S and lock it into manual mode with the paddles, to get it to take back over you'll need to put it into D.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In sport mode it will shift on its own holding gears longer that normal mode, but if you use the paddle once either up or down shifting then it holds that gear until you shift up or down into another gear with the paddles. So, the best way to use the 2 modes is put in sport to get moving from stop and just shift to normal once at cruising speed. Or if you are in sport and used paddles to shift then also just shift to normal to allow it to shift on its own.

BD

Reactions: bucolic

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should be good. In theory the auto will 'prevent' you from lugging it. That said, make sure you aren't stabbing the throttle if you are at low RPM's (such as cruising, right off the line at a stop light), roll into it.
Does it really prevent lugging? On my base model, A10, geared for economy, I feel like in city driving it sometimes goes too far, too low rpm -- sacrificing the engine for mpg. I couldn't say the exact rpm or situation -- I rarely hammer on it -- but it's just too low and just "doesn't feel right" sometimes. Anyone else notice this? Not sure if it is technically "lugging." I prefer "S" mode in town to keep the rpms up, feels so much better, but also seems more than is necessary to prevent it from happening....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts