Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1. So I'm excited to say I became a first time mustang owner as of last Friday! I've begun my search for a mustang shop to do minor performance upgrades like a new intake , tuning, down pipe etc...

From this forum I saw a shop called power by the hour in Boynton Beach Fl, so I visited them today. The gentlemen in the office I spoke with told me there's nothing I can do to increase the HP on the Ecoboost due to Fords built in restrictions. I told him I was interested in a new a CAI and new tuning, and that I've seen online all these great gains from 25hp to 50hp and torque increases of up to 70. We went back and forth pleasantly and he went as far as saying they upgraded a customers Ecoboost with a bigger turbo and Dyno tested it and only had a 5hp gain, so I was wasting my time. He also said I would lose HP. Now I don't know what to believe. I was pretty excited, I've seen all of the American muscle videos but now im deflated...any advice? Is he right?

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts
No. Just No.

There are all kinds of ways to get more power from the Ecoboost, and there are no "built in restrictions" from Ford. Most of us do 99% of our own wrenching and stay away from shops. Read through the build threads and see what others have done, then set your own course, there are a lot of paths to more enjoyment from these cars.

Read the reviews and watch the videos on AM (and CJ Pony, and LMR) with a grain of salt. They're all in the business of selling parts, and as in any open market they'll have both good and pad parts based on what people are asking for and what sells.

I'm not going to make any recommendations here, we'll save that for later, but when you get into it there are only a few names and a few places that come up more than once in any forum for the ecoboost Mustangs as being good tuners for these cars. Those are the places to go to. I've never heard of "Power by the Hour" as one of those.

Oh, and please go up and start an intro thread! (we like pictures)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Just No.

There are all kinds of ways to get more power from the Ecoboost, and there are no "built in restrictions" from Ford. Most of us do 99% of our own wrenching and stay away from shops. Read through the build threads and see what others have done, then set your own course, there are a lot of paths to more enjoyment from these cars.

Read the reviews and watch the videos on AM (and CJ Pony, and LMR) with a grain of salt. They're all in the business of selling parts, and as in any open market they'll have both good and pad parts based on what people are asking for and what sells.

I'm not going to make any recommendations here, we'll save that for later, but when you get into it there are only a few names and a few places that come up more than once in any forum for the ecoboost Mustangs as being good tuners for these cars. Those are the places to go to. I've never heard of "Power by the Hour" as one of those.

Oh, and please go up and start an intro thread! (we like pictures)
Thank you. Its just there were a ton of mustangs out side so I figured this guy obviously knows what he's talking about...I'll definitely post some pictures. Glad I joined!

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts
Just a guess, but he's probably one of those "V8 is the only way to power" guys.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That guy is nuts. o_O

It took me a long time to find a local shop that was interested. They are a shop which handles exotics and European sports cars many of which are turbos. Do your research and ignore the V8 guys who are stuck in the past. Small displacement and turbos are the next phase of the Mustang with hybrid power coming in the next generation.

Oh, and enjoy the journey, it's a lot of fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was right. I just looked them up: PBH Performance - Your 5.0 Coyote Engine Swap Headquarters They're a Coyote mod shop. Not the right place to do anything for your ecoboost.
Very interesting! I visited another shop today, monster Motorsports, in Davie FL. It was just about after hours so I was alone with the owner and I shared my experience. This was a more optimistic conversation. He told me power by the hour was wrong. He also shared that there's only a few shops left in South Florida so they're so busy he often has to turn business away. He said they mostly work on exotic cars and Corvettes. Now I have an automatic so of course I'm limited, I get that, be he said he can help...BUT..he said he won't use the preloaded tuners. Monster Motorsports only does custom Dyno tuning. He told me that's how he'll get "real power gains". I don't think he trusts hand held tuners. I was told under $1200 I'd be out the door with tunning plus an intake.

I appreciated his optimism and what seemed to be truthfulness.

What do you guys think?... obviously I won't have the benefit of having the tune or a way of flashing it back to stock for my own.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interesting! I visited another shop today, monster Motorsports, in Davie FL. It was just about after hours so I was alone with the owner and I shared my experience. This was a more optimistic conversation. He told me power by the hour was wrong. He also shared that there's only a few shops left in South Florida so they're so busy he often has to turn business away. He said they mostly work on exotic cars and Corvettes. Now I have an automatic so of course I'm limited, I get that, be he said he can help...BUT..he said he won't use the preloaded tuners. Monster Motorsports only does custom Dyno tuning. He told me that's how he'll get "real power gains". I don't think he trusts hand held tuners. I was told under $1200 I'd be out the door with tunning plus an intake.

I appreciated his optimism and what seemed to be truthfulness.

What do you guys think?... obviously I won't have the benefit of having the tune or a way of flashing it back to stock for my own.
Also keep in mind I know I have an automatic so I'm being realistic. I'd just like a more fun drive with quicker responses. I imagine real power increases come with manual car upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts
This guy certainly sounds better, and from his website, he does seem to know what to do with turbo cars (MONSTER MOTORSPORTS - South Florida Late Model Muscle Car Tuning, Performance, Parts, & Accessories I'm a master of the google.) If I had a Turbo Camaro his shop certainly looks like the place I'd want to go for tuning, since all other options are extremely limited. For turbo Mustangs there are LOTS of options. I talked to a Camaro guy a couple of weeks back and he's actually jealous of how much is available on the aftermarket for our cars compared to his.

A couple of things.
1. in general, on a dragstrip the automatic cars are faster than the manual ones.
2. There are literally TONS of different intakes for our cars, but there are also studies that show the stock intake (with a better tube and drop in filter) is actually really great. So why limit yourself to what one shop is doing?
3. You've hit a limitation of a dyno only tune on the head. No option to revert to stock to take it to the dealer. If something goes wrong with the rest of your car, you're stuck taking everything back to your tuner.

Having had some experience with turbo 4 cyl cars before I bought my turbo Mustang, I had already done some research into who knows how to deal with turbo 4 cyl cars. One name that continually pops to the top when working with Subaru, BMW, and the Focus/Fiesta ST cars is Cobb. I'll admit that I like their handheld tuner, as well as their total support network. In Florida area they partner with a lot of different shops, and they might be a good place to start, if you really don't want to get your hands dirty. (COBB Tuning - Dealers)

If Cobb isn't your thing there are a ton of other handheld tuners out there with their own network of shops that use them.

If you don't mind getting under the hood yourself, an intake requires less than an hour to install with hand tools. Not something I want to fork over $125+ for someone else to do. Most of the basic hardware upgrades to our cars are things that an average person with some hand tools can do without having to fork over those shop fees. All of this is why most of us, when looking at tuning, opt to go for one of teh guys that takes data log files in email and sets up a custom tune for your car without having to spend several hours strapped to a dyno to do it.

Just my two cents. (OK, more like a nickel.) Keep asking questions, keep researching, until you find a solution that's right for you and that you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This guy certainly sounds better, and from his website, he does seem to know what to do with turbo cars (MONSTER MOTORSPORTS - South Florida Late Model Muscle Car Tuning, Performance, Parts, & Accessories I'm a master of the google.) If I had a Turbo Camaro his shop certainly looks like the place I'd want to go for tuning, since all other options are extremely limited. For turbo Mustangs there are LOTS of options. I talked to a Camaro guy a couple of weeks back and he's actually jealous of how much is available on the aftermarket for our cars compared to his.

A couple of things.
1. in general, on a dragstrip the automatic cars are faster than the manual ones.
2. There are literally TONS of different intakes for our cars, but there are also studies that show the stock intake (with a better tube and drop in filter) is actually really great. So why limit yourself to what one shop is doing?
3. You've hit a limitation of a dyno only tune on the head. No option to revert to stock to take it to the dealer. If something goes wrong with the rest of your car, you're stuck taking everything back to your tuner.

Having had some experience with turbo 4 cyl cars before I bought my turbo Mustang, I had already done some research into who knows how to deal with turbo 4 cyl cars. One name that continually pops to the top when working with Subaru, BMW, and the Focus/Fiesta ST cars is Cobb. I'll admit that I like their handheld tuner, as well as their total support network. In Florida area they partner with a lot of different shops, and they might be a good place to start, if you really don't want to get your hands dirty. (COBB Tuning - Dealers)

If Cobb isn't your thing there are a ton of other handheld tuners out there with their own network of shops that use them.

If you don't mind getting under the hood yourself, an intake requires less than an hour to install with hand tools. Not something I want to fork over $125+ for someone else to do. Most of the basic hardware upgrades to our cars are things that an average person with some hand tools can do without having to fork over those shop fees. All of this is why most of us, when looking at tuning, opt to go for one of teh guys that takes data log files in email and sets up a custom tune for your car without having to spend several hours strapped to a dyno to do it.

Just my two cents. (OK, more like a nickel.) Keep asking questions, keep researching, until you find a solution that's right for you and that you're comfortable with.
This is such good feedback. It's helping a great deal! He did mention the stock intake is pretty good. I think I'd like to hear a little more sound and the turbo. IF I were to leave the stock intake on any recommendations for a new drop filter and tube? Also which Cobb tuner?

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts
Cobb only sells the one handheld tuner, though a lot of times you can get a deal on it from other resellers. I bought mine from CJ Pony parts as part of a Black Friday sale last year.

As for the drop in filter, a lot of guys like the Green filter or one of the other washables. Cobb makes one too. I went with an aftermarket setup specifically so I can hear the intake more. It's the sound I wanted from it, not really the performance...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cobb only sells the one handheld tuner, though a lot of times you can get a deal on it from other resellers. I bought mine from CJ Pony parts as part of a Black Friday sale last year.

As for the drop in filter, a lot of guys like the Green filter or one of the other washables. Cobb makes one too. I went with an aftermarket setup specifically so I can hear the intake more. It's the sound I wanted from it, not really the performance...
Thank you! I agree with you about the sound.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just my .02 for what its worth
1. That guy at power by the hour is an idiot
2. Dont get discouraged with an auto (the quickest eb's in the world are auto's)
3. My race tune gets me 351 to the wheels, my eco tune gets me 32mpg and i can switch them on the fly. I bet power hour guy doesnt know that!?!

Ok, my rant is over.....eb's are an amazing car and yes you can make a ton of power and they take to mods extremely well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since you are in Florida, you might check and see how close Steeda is to you, their tune is supposed to be good and their suspension parts are great, also some of the best customer service you will find.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would recommend the Cobb tuner plus a tune from Tune+. $675 for both the Cobb and a single custom tune. You may also want to explore doing some of the mods yourself. It really becomes fun and gives you more pride in your car from doing it yourself. I have a buddy who helps me with my mods, and so far we've done the Exhaust, oil can and Intercooler. I went with a K&N Drop in filter in the stock Airbox, and did the rest of my mods myself (Shock tower stabilizer bar, and a lot of engine dress-up stuff).

And I agree with others regarding the power you can make with the ecoboost. My car is completely different from stock - much quicker, much more power, and a great sound thanks to the exhaust. Good luck with your build!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts