Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smell is noticeable when I stop, and get out of the car. I don't think its oil burning, it seems "dryer" if that makes sense. The smell gets stronger the harder I push it. The power seems fine. Adam Tune+ didn't give me any might be's and says hes never heard of this.......So I'm asking you guys what you think it might be.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Next time you get that smell pop your hood and feel your pulleys for excessive Heat and check your belts as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This sounds similar to what I smell in both my stang and the wife's Ecoboost Explorer if I drive them hard. for me, it just smells like a hot engine, with these being my first turbos I thought it was normal being that they run hotter. I could be wrong and will my self be checking the belts next time I smell this like Elvis suggests.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
I had a bit of burning smell right after I upgraded the exhaust, but not since then. Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take a quick look underneath, and see if you may have run over a random plastic bag (or something similar), which proceeded to melt on the cat converter. Happened to me one time with another car, and the smell was similar. Good luck!

Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any update on this? I am getting ga burning smell when I step on it pretty good. The smell only lasts around 10-15 seconds. I never got the smell before I added a bigger turbo. Car has 13k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sounds like PCV fumes escaping into the engine bay after a high boost pull.

The timing solenoids hidden under the engine cover can start to weep oil past their o rings onto the surface of the valve cover and create a bit of a stink as well.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like PCV fumes escaping into the engine bay after a high boost pull.

The timing solenoids hidden under the engine cover can start to weep oil past their o rings onto the surface of the valve cover and create a bit of a stink as well.

I have noticed that my mishimoto catch can tubes have had a lot of residue on them recently. How can I fix the PCV problem? Assuming that is what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have noticed that my mishimoto catch can tubes have had a lot of residue on them recently. How can I fix the PCV problem? Assuming that is what is causing it.
I'm really not sure, I just put a CFM performance valve cover breather on mine and called it good. I figure if some fumes are gonna escape I'll give em path to do so rather than forcing their way past a gasket somewhere.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
126 Posts
Been having this burning plastic smell since picking up my CPO back in October. Happens every time I do a hard pull, say 2nd gear (2800-5000rpms). Not high IAT, cyl. head, coolant or trans temps. It clears out after a few seconds, but the consistency has me restraining my right foot and missing out on some good fun. Read most of the posts regarding similar instances. No plastic bags, no fluids, no wires/hoses contacting hot parts. Checked all my PCV connections. All good:confused: Smells slightly electrical, sort of like that whiff of ozone you'd get when turning off one of those old tube TVs, but stronger. Read somewhere in a thread about a bad firewall/passenger cab seal and it seems to be coming from the passenger side. I'll have to do some more checks. Maybe the downpipe turbo seal has a small leak.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
126 Posts
I'm really not sure, I just put a CFM performance valve cover breather on mine and called it good. I figure if some fumes are gonna escape I'll give em path to do so rather than forcing their way past a gasket somewhere.

Any need to clean up oil mist residue? I was contemplating one of these breathers when I had my Fiesta ST, but so many posts mentioned the mess. Still haven't had the time to investigate my max boost burning smell, but I'm not seeing any spotting on the ground. Looking at upgrading my evap purge valve, LFPS along with a CFM cap. I'm actually hoping I DO see some obvious fluid so I can remedy this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just had my 2017 for two weeks, It does the same thing, it has a hint of oil smell, i took off the engine cover and searched it over thoroughly and there is no oil leaking anywhere, i also checked the oil level, its full

I did drive a 2018 before i bought my 17, It had a smell after some hard pulls but the smell was different, like a cataleytic converter or electrical burning smell

very weird stuff, perhaps we will find out what the smell is from

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
126 Posts
Suppose it could be due to lack of using the engine & turbo to its potential often enough. Think the term is referred to as an "Italian tune up".
I tend to baby my ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts