Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I’m brand new to the forum, I need advice on a potential EcoBoost purchase and figured I’d come straight to the experts.

I’ve wanted a Mustang since I was a teenager - I’m now 47 and have been promising myself it was going to be a splurge for my 50th birthday. With the current specials on the remaining 19’s I’ve decided why wait any longer.

I always assumed I’d have a GT but then along came the EcoBoost and I’m finding myself torn. I love the power and exhaust of a muscle car but I commute 50 miles a day to my job so that 4 cylinder turbo is hugely appealing.

I’m really leaning toward an EcoBoost but my hubs keeps telling me I’ll regret not getting the GT within few months. I should mention that he is a true muscle head and a Chevy one at that lol. At the moment he has a 2014 SS 6.2L Camaro, an ‘89 IROC he purchased new, a ‘78 Z28 and a ‘65 Impala SS. If it doesn’t have a V8 he turns his nose up a bit.

Has anyone else been on the fence between the EcoBoost and the GT? What made your decision for you and do you have any regrets either way?

·
Registered
882 Posts
What if you always wanted an Audi, and were looking at TT Coupe? There would not be a V8 option, as would be the case with many other cars you might have "always wanted". But we're talking Mustangs and there are many who claim it's not a Mustang without a V8. I'm quite happy with my Ecoboost, there are some here who may still be sitting on the fence. Like you, I have a bit of a commute (but not as long) and I have always felt fuel economy was a factor with anything that I owned. I suppose you can always play the "happy wife, happy life" card and suggest that he back off a bit in crowding your decision about your car.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think you will like the ecoboost. Your husband may even come to like it too. It can be surprisingly quick. I hit some hot laps on the track with mine and my dad (65, old muscle car guy), and he was amazed. He tells everyone about it ha. You can really feel the difference on the street and in your commute. The gt is great, don't get me wrong, but they loved to be revved out for power. The ecoboost has gobs of torque and is suited quite well for low rpm street driving. Lastly, for little money, the ecoboost can be upgraded with more power if 310hp isn't enough. Enjoy.

Reactions: realmrsc

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Have you test driven both? That might make the answer obvious to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hallo
Well done on deciding to spoil yourself... I did the same last year when I turned 40. I was very happy with my EB, she is beautiful and really fast enough for me, the only problem was there are so many people saying things like "you should have got a V8". So last week I had had enough and considered trading in for a GT...lucky for me a friend of mine and I were able to swop cars for the week... And I must be honest, other than the sound of that V8, for daily heavy- traffic work commuting, my EB is much better. Things like quickly taking a gap, stopping and starting in bumper to bumper traffic, quickly turning at an intersection.....its just so much easier in the nimbler EB. My friend also phoned me a day after driving my EB saying that for everyday driving he is loving the EB. So yes, maybe test drive both, and of course the V8 and EB are 2 completely different machines, I think that depending on what you want to use your car for most, there will be pros and cons to both. Good luck with your decision!!! But I'm sure you will enjoy it irrespective of the one you pick...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep, got my '19 in May and am driving and loving the hell out of it. Still stock with the performance pack. My only regret is not getting the better radio at the moment, but that's due to change as soon as my sync 3 order comes in .. figuring about 2 weeks or so I hope. Get the PP.. from what I know now it's a good option to start out with at least.

close to 6K on it so far, and I work from home LOL! Got back from a 600 mile round trip out to the western part of the state, with lots of good twisty roads and a tuned 370z who "bugged me" but signaled "respect" after a few 60 to xxx pulls on the way home. I think he was waving four fingers at me like "Holy crap.. that's a four cylinder??". Yep, and stock at that..

·
Registered
46 Posts
2018 Eco Perf Pack, 6spd. First Mustang...actually, first American car since high school (loooooong time ago!). I bought it because it looked good, was relatively inexpensive, and reminded me of an updated 944 Turbo. It is usable, with a huge trunk, and modest back seats. Gets great gas mileage. With only a couple simple mods (bigger front brakes and a bigger intercooler) has been a really fun occasional HPDE car as well. No regrets!
Mustang small.jpg

·
Read Only
246 Posts
I've only had my Mustang for 4 months. My plan was to get the GT, but decided to test drive the Ecoboost too. Sound aside, I enjoyed driving the EB more. I love driving manuals, and I felt I could push the EB hard without being stupid and without having everyone's eyes on me. Something about the experience of getting up to redline but still being relatively safe in terms of speed, if that makes any sense.

Yes. The sound of the V8 is unique and irreplaceable, but I feel the driving experience on the EB is much more enjoyable. I'm sure some people will laugh at that but it's my car and my choice.

As others said, drive both and decide what feels better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So much great feedback, thank you to everyone who posted!

I am excited to say that within a couple of short days I will be a new member of the Ecoboost clan - I take delivery on Monday evening, I'm super excited!

Started out looking to get a 19, sadly inventory has been picked over severely at this point. I've been searching and scouring, found some nice cars at decent prices but nothing I got bent out of shape about - I was looking for that Griswold Family Christmas Tree moment with angels singing and the lights shining down from above.

As soon as I laid eyes on it I said to my husband "that's it, that's the one" lol. It's a 2017 Ecoboost Premium. Only 7k miles. White Platinum with white (ceramic) leather interior. Pony package. Safety and security package. 19 inch wheels and the 12 speaker Shaker audio. Even my hardcore muscle head hubby said "wow that's a beautiful car".

I look forward to posting my first pic on Monday! I feel great about my decision to go with the EcoBoost - thanks again to all who posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So much great feedback, thank you to everyone who posted!

I am excited to say that within a couple of short days I will be a new member of the Ecoboost clan - I take delivery on Monday evening, I'm super excited!

Started out looking to get a 19, sadly inventory has been picked over severely at this point. I've been searching and scouring, found some nice cars at decent prices but nothing I got bent out of shape about - I was looking for that Griswold Family Christmas Tree moment with angels singing and the lights shining down from above.

As soon as I laid eyes on it I said to my husband "that's it, that's the one" lol. It's a 2017 Ecoboost Premium. Only 7k miles. White Platinum with white (ceramic) leather interior. Pony package. Safety and security package. 19 inch wheels and the 12 speaker Shaker audio. Even my hardcore muscle head hubby said "wow that's a beautiful car".

I look forward to posting my first pic on Monday! I feel great about my decision to go with the EcoBoost - thanks again to all who posted.
Yayyyy!! Cannot wait to see the pics! Sounds stunning!

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
Congrats! You WILL enjoy your Mustang.

<sound of angels singing and lights from above>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have a question - hopefully someone here will be able to educate me on this...my car has a different grill than I've seen on any others I've looked at, I'm sure it's an aftermarket but am curious if it is a particular style/etc... anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I believe that grill is part of the pony package, along with chrome trim around the windows, and shiny wheels. Someone who has the pony pkg will probably tell you more than I know; I went for the performance package instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats MRSC. I'm an old big block V8 gearhead. I have a significant commute, so MPG was a factor in my puchase. The ecoboost has no shortage of power (and a surprising amount of torque). It feels NOTHING like a 4 cylinder. Like me, I think you both will be impressed the way the Mustang handles and performs. Sounds like a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway is in order!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats MRSC. I'm an old big block V8 gearhead. I have a significant commute, so MPG was a factor in my puchase. The ecoboost has no shortage of power (and a surprising amount of torque). It feels NOTHING like a 4 cylinder. Like me, I think you both will be impressed the way the Mustang handles and performs. Sounds like a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway is in order!
Yessss 427 so ironic you mention the Parkway - we are in fact planning a day drive to hit the Parkway, the Dragon and come back home across the Cherohala within the next couple of weeks :). We've take his Harley and Camaro SS across a number of times but I'm always a passenger - I'm totally looking forward to being behind the wheel this time! #buckleupbigdaddy :D

Thanks for taking time to post!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do have a question - hopefully someone here will be able to educate me on this...my car has a different grill than I've seen on any others I've looked at, I'm sure it's an aftermarket but am curious if it is a particular style/etc... anyone have any thoughts?
As mentioned, the pony pack definitely is unique. Not rare, but you don't see a ton of them around. When I got my 2016 EB Mustang, I went straight for the one with the pony pack because I loved the way the different grill looked. In this picture, I obviously changed the wheels/tires... but everything else is stock pony pack.

67564049_10157662183935774_7517641799771357184_o2.jpg

1 - 20 of 61 Posts