Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ecoboost - 1” drop, C&L CAI, 92 octane performance Unleashed Tune, NGK plugs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, have a C&L CAI installed - it was a surprise and during that time I purchased the Roush and it just arrived.

Does anyone know if either yields better performance? How about louder sound? I was think the Roush would be a lot louder since it’s open as the C&L has a plastic enclosure.

Debating whether or not to swap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I doubt you’d see any measurable difference in sound or performance between the two. The C&L is enclosed like you said, but the Roush bucket seals against the hood when it’s closed. I have the Roush intake and I’m happy with it. Personally, I’d just stick with whatever one you think looks better.

Unless the C&L was a gift from your wife, in that case, definitely stick with the C&L.

·
Registered
2017 Ecoboost - 1” drop, C&L CAI, 92 octane performance Unleashed Tune, NGK plugs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt you’d see any measurable difference in sound or performance between the two. The C&L is enclosed like you said, but the Roush bucket seals against the hood when it’s closed. I have the Roush intake and I’m happy with it. Personally, I’d just stick with whatever one you think looks better.

Unless the C&L was a gift from your wife, in that case, definitely stick with the C&L.

Haha, you guessed it. It was a secret gift from the wife. I’ll keep it.
If anyone is interested in buying a Roush, let me know. I brought it from Unlimited Tuning. Unopened in the box. Alternatively, they accept returns.
Enclosed is better IMHO
I think it looks good enclosed for sure. Just was really curious on what was louder. My son and I really like the loudness. That said, I came upon a blow off valve from Turbosmart(?) that’s supposed to make the turbo “hiss” sound louder, so I’ll probably get that. This car is a lot of fun for sure!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Haha, you guessed it. It was a secret gift from the wife. I’ll keep it.
If anyone is interested in buying a Roush, let me know. I brought it from Unlimited Tuning. Unopened in the box. Alternatively, they accept returns.

I think it looks good enclosed for sure. Just was really curious on what was louder. My son and I really like the loudness. That said, I came upon a blow off valve from Turbosmart(?) that’s supposed to make the turbo “hiss” sound louder, so I’ll probably get that. This car is a lot of fun for sure!
If you want loudness then open element is better. I think 'enclosed' is better because it keeps it from sucking in engine heat. I had the open element GT350 and had a real tough time with IAT's that would skyrocket at red lights. I swapped to a closed element airaid and it was much better at keeping IATs down.

·
Registered
18PP 10R80
265 Posts
That said, I came upon a blow off valve from Turbosmart(?) that’s supposed to make the turbo “hiss” sound louder, so I’ll probably get that. This car is a lot of fun for sure!
this is the ecu-controlled version. it has performed well for me. i know gatornek (whose opinion i value) didn't like how it performed - the harness can be stubborn - i didn't connect it properly once and it wasn't VTAing and was causing compressor surge - but i figured it out quickly. i put on a new cold side pipe last week and am currently giving the GFB VTA model a try. it's performing well too -- not as loud

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
this is the ecu-controlled version. it has performed well for me. i know gatornek (whose opinion i value) didn't like how it performed - the harness can be stubborn - i didn't connect it properly once and it wasn't VTAing and was causing compressor surge - but i figured it out quickly. i put on a new cold side pipe last week and am currently giving the GFB VTA model a try. it's performing well too -- not as loud
I agree here. I did get kinda fed up with the clip and decided to just return it. But kudos for getting it to work!

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
While the Roush may seal at the top with the hood liner, it is still open at the side facing the fender, letting in engine bay heat.
The extra noise you get with the open lid Roush, is not from the open top (since it seals against the hood) , but from the side fender gap.
When I had mine installed, I sealed the side gap, and the noise dropped dramatically.

It is interesting to note, that the new Roush CAI for the 2018 + models, now comes with a lid.
It will still fit on the 2015 - 2017 models though.

Reactions: JiujitsuMustang

·
Registered
240 Posts
Reading between the lines the OP is looking for noises not performance.

Reactions: JiujitsuMustang

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reading between the lines the OP is looking for noises not performance.
I was looking for input on both performance and sound. Everywhere I’ve read it’s either that they’re the same in terms of performance and nearly the same with sound and that maybe the Roush is a little louder due to it being open.
At this point, I plan to keep the C&L installed as it’s not worth the hassle to swap for a comparison.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A CAI won't gain you any HP or TQ unless you are heavily modded and highly tuned. A blow off valve won't give you any performance gains either. The stock air box is the most efficient air box there is. Most of us use a drop in filter and Airaid intake tube.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Currently, have a C&L CAI installed - it was a surprise and during that time I purchased the Roush and it just arrived.

Does anyone know if either yields better performance? How about louder sound? I was think the Roush would be a lot louder since it’s open as the C&L has a plastic enclosure.

Debating whether or not to swap.

Thanks!
i have the roush and the exhaust note (resonator delete) and intake sound together is like music to my ears :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts