Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2016 Ecoboost in August. Now that it is almost November in Western Washington State, my mirrors are always wet from dew or rain, which will soon turn to frost, ice and snow. Is there a way to add heated mirrors, and if so, how would I do it. I already talked to one Ford dealership, and they said it isn't something they do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talked to another dealership this morning. They said around $1500! $450 per mirror, then take off door panels to tie into the wiring harness. I think I'll just put baggies over my mirrors at night until I can find a set of used heated mirrors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Talked to another dealership this morning. They said around $1500! $450 per mirror, then take off door panels to tie into the wiring harness. I think I'll just put baggies over my mirrors at night until I can find a set of used heated mirrors.
I am going to toss this out here as I have not tried it. I read spraying WD-40 on the glass, to include the side windows, and wiping it off will prevent frost from forming. My Mustang is garaged, and it was 60 today, so no chance to try it, since reading the article. WD stands for Water Displacement. I hope this works fro you, much cheaper then the mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Not sure if the non-heated mirror wiring harness will have the provision for heated mirrors.
On my wife's Fusion, they work off the defroster, and it's all wired in. A lot of times if you don't have that "package" the wiring harness won't have the right connections.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The wiring from the door mirror module looks identical for both the heated and non-heated mirrors, with only an extra earth wire going to the heated ones.
Bear in mind there are many options with the external mirrors, like built-in turn signal indicators and power folding ones.
In all our Aussie delivered Mustangs we get the heated, with turn signal indicators and power fold in ones as standard. (They are also larger than the US models, with the outer 3rd of the mirror surface being convex to get a wide angle view).
The power fold in mirrors also have a diffferent door control switch module.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my 2016 Ecoboost in August. Now that it is almost November in Western Washington State, my mirrors are always wet from dew or rain, which will soon turn to frost, ice and snow. Is there a way to add heated mirrors, and if so, how would I do it. I already talked to one Ford dealership, and they said it isn't something they do.
You can add heater mirrors and this can even be done by yourself. They are a few tutorials online. If you don't feel confident enough you can go back to your dealership. You can find used heated side mirrors on Here. They will be cheaper than getting new ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can add heater mirrors and this can even be done by yourself. They are a few tutorials online. If you don't feel confident enough you can go back to your dealership. You can find used heated side mirrors on Here. They will be cheaper than getting new ones.
Can you point me to one of these?
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is if you have this kit.
I am adding BLIS and doing heated mirrors at the same time. I have most of it done but I am not sure what wire to tap into for the heated mirror. Plan is to get the BLIS operational then leave the wires run and tap into them when i figure it out. Just waiting on the OE mirrors to ship
Thanks for the link but it doesn't help unfortunately

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I have a possible solution. Speaking with some guys on another forum they are saying that If I tap into the yellow and Blue wire in the passenger footwell on the C215 connector it should work. Once the mirrors come in I will try to see if I can get a dry day to get them installed. Next week looks like a washout. I will update then

Here is a picture of the connector and wire I plan to use. It's the yellow and blue wire in the circle
IMG_6517.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got heated mirrors added tapping into the wire in the picture just in case anyone wanted to add it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a bit confused by all of this. It looks like the mirrors have the same connector, just with a few more pins for heated mirrors, puddle lamp, etc. Do I need to tap into wires for all of the functions of the "premium" mirrors if I only have a base model Mustang or do I just need to tap for the heated function?

First photo: Mirror connector with features
Second photo: Connector without features

·
Registered
93 Posts
I added BLIS and heated mirrors. I ran 4 wires in total through each door. All 22 gauge and there was one for the heated mirrors that I tapped into the connector in the passenger footwell and one for ground. I did not pin the existing connector but ran new wires through the doors and ran then along the mirror harness and tapped it up so it looks OE.
I am not sure how to add pins to the connectors for this harness which is why I ran them along side. If you wanted to add heated mirrors, you would need the mirrors, two wires to each door, one for ground and one for power and then combine the power ones and tap into the blue/yellow wire in that connector in the passenger footwell
You could try to pin it if you know how

·
Registered
5 Posts
I added BLIS and heated mirrors. I ran 4 wires in total through each door. All 22 gauge and there was one for the heated mirrors that I tapped into the connector in the passenger footwell and one for ground. I did not pin the existing connector but ran new wires through the doors and ran then along the mirror harness and tapped it up so it looks OE.
I am not sure how to add pins to the connectors for this harness which is why I ran them along side. If you wanted to add heated mirrors, you would need the mirrors, two wires to each door, one for ground and one for power and then combine the power ones and tap into the blue/yellow wire in that connector in the passenger footwell
You could try to pin it if you know how
I may have misrepresented my question. I guess I'm trying to ask why the mirrors aren't plug and play when the connectors look the same, just with a few additional pins. I wanted to get mirrors with the puddle lamps, but I'm also interested in the heated glass since they come together anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ford uses the same connector but different harnesses.
I know the 15-17 does not include any extra wires, but the 18+ are included so in most cases, depending on what you choose to run, the wire may already be there
In the case with the 15-17 base mustangs, you will have to add the wires or pin and connect them to make them plug and play.
The pins would be the most OEM option but you may need other tools to accomplish this
lastly, you could swap out the wire harness but that may be a bit over the top 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ford uses the same connector but different harnesses.
I know the 15-17 does not include any extra wires, but the 18+ are included so in most cases, depending on what you choose to run, the wire may already be there
In the case with the 15-17 base mustangs, you will have to add the wires or pin and connect them to make them plug and play.
The pins would be the most OEM option but you may need other tools to accomplish this
lastly, you could swap out the wire harness but that may be a bit over the top 😊
I have a 2020, so theoretically, I should be good to go? But at the same time, I shouldn't be surprised if I need to play around with some wiring?

Last thing I want to do is swap harnesses, I'm mostly in it for the puddle lamp aesthetic, but it isn't that important if it's such a project haha.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts