Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 ecoboost with roush CAI and looking at CVF intercooler. Would it be fine to run Cobb OTS stage 2 tune with these mods?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Before I purchased my device, tech support didn't ask what brand or type of mods I had... However when I had performance issues, they wanted to know everything and then told me that their results were based on "Cobb Modifications". Which I understand, why wouldn't they use their parts during research and development.
So if you want Cobb results, use Cobb parts and a Certified Cobb Tuner. However, they won't void your warranty or refuse to help you, even if you use other brand parts. Not sure about using a non-certified tuner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I purchased my device, tech support didn't ask what brand or type of mods I had... However when I had performance issues, they wanted to know everything and then told me that their results were based on "Cobb Modifications". Which I understand, why wouldn't they use their parts during research and development.
So if you want Cobb results, use Cobb parts and a Certified Cobb Tuner. However, they won't void your warranty or refuse to help you, even if you use other brand parts. Not sure about using a non-certified tuner.
So it wouldn’t hurt to run stage 2 with intercooler other than Cobb just wouldn’t see proven gains? what about mishimoto intercooler would that be any difference from cvf intercooler

·
Registered
148 Posts
So it wouldn’t hurt to run stage 2 with intercooler other than Cobb just wouldn’t see proven gains? what about mishimoto intercooler would that be any difference from cvf intercooler
I am not aware of any differences between them they just keep charge temps lower so you would see the same gains still but the length of time you can run before timing is pulled because of heat soak may be shorter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So is it safe to run stage 2 with the roush intake and intercooler other than Cobb?
I would say it is but every time you try to increase the power especially with tunes you get less and less safe. I would recommend looking into using a protunner like PD or TunePlus if you want to get the best performance while being safe for your specific parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not aware of any differences between them they just keep charge temps lower so you would see the same gains still but the length of time you can run before timing is pulled because of heat soak may be shorter.
So it will be safe to run stage 2 with the roush intake and intercooler other than Cobb just go with a bigger sized one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say it is but every time you try to increase the power especially with tunes you get less and less safe. I would recommend looking into using a protunner like PD or TunePlus if you want to get the best performance while being safe for your specific parts.
Ok I will look into them and see what I can find thank you

·
Registered
148 Posts
So it will be safe to run stage 2 with the roush intake and intercooler other than Cobb just go with a bigger sized one?
A bigger intercooler cant hurt but I wouldn't say you need it the stock replacement sized version should work. Good synthetic motor oil, a good oil filter such as Wix XP, properly gapped spark plugs, and top tier quality gas would be my main focus for safety.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My modifications are mostly DIY and I have increased the performance of my car and have confirmed the improvement with data from my Cobb data logger and track times.
And if I can get my "home made stuff" to work with a cobb turner, you shouldn't have any major problems with different brand modifications.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
exactly. the only information the car gets from intercooler is the temperature sensor, so all intercoolers would be the exact same, only variance is temperature passing at the outlet.

if you use a 200 cell downpipe, thats what Cobb's high flow cat is, 200 cell.

intercooler, and 200 cell downpipe, that is stage 3.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The only reason cobb says to use cobb parts is so that cobb makes the money and not another manufacturer. You'll be fine with equivalent parts from other companies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2018 ecoboost with roush CAI and looking at CVF intercooler. Would it be fine to run Cobb OTS stage 2 tune with these mods?
I have a roush cai and the cvf street intercooler and run stage 2 perfectly fine. The parts don't have to be cobb parts but they do have to be similar to the cobb parts for best performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a roush cai and the cvf street intercooler and run stage 2 perfectly fine. The parts don't have to be cobb parts but they do have to be similar to the cobb parts for best performance.
I will just go with than for time being then later on after I add other mods get custom tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will just go with than for time being then later on after I add other mods get custom tune.
right on, you'll notice a pretty big difference in power, especially in the upper rpms. my car just wants to keep pulling and pulling on stage 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m currently running Cobb Stage 3 with:
CVF street intercooler
CVF catted downpipe
Air raid intake tube
Factory air box with K&N filter.
No issues whatsoever. Just make sure you do the basic pre maintenance steps and you’ll be fine. Colder step spark plugs, and revised fuel sensor.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I don't understand why you would use colder plugs on Cobb stage 3. they designed that tune for OEM heat plugs. call them and ask them, they will tell you this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts