Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my first capless gas tank. When I fill the tank I set the hook the stop when it's full. But every time I fill the tank it never fills 100%. This last time only filled 50% and the gas hose clicked off. How do I fill the tank all the way? I don't wanna fill until it comes out if the tank and onto the car, but it always stops too soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read somewhere if you fill the tank with handle upside down it fixes the issue. Has anyone tried?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I read somewhere if you fill the tank with handle upside down it fixes the issue. Has anyone tried?
No. Sounds like a bad idea. Try pumping and only squeezing the handle half way. Early cutoffs usually occur when pumping full throttle, so to speak.

You will never fill to a precise 100% anyhow. That would be akin to trying to pour exactly a pint of beer without seeing the glass or the flow of the beer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's not even 90% like I said only filled 50% today. Plus who wants to stand and hold the handle the while time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No it's not even 90% like I said only filled 50% today. Plus who wants to stand and hold the handle the while time.
Most pumps have a trigger lock that can be set at something less than full throttle. If not that, try another gas station.

Btw, being capless probably has nothing to do with the issue you're having. My Mustang is the fourth vehicle I've had like that and this has never been an issue for me. I've had pumps click off too soon, but I usually figure out a way to deal with it, sometimes even having to stand and hold the handle! :eek:

Perhaps you should look into a Mach-E. It will most definitely not suffer this "problem." :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
It could be the pump. I’ve had mine cut off at Costco when the pump on the other side cuts off.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Has nothing to do with a cap less fill, it’s the sensitivity of the pump and EPA guidelines today......you just have to hold it sometimes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No. Sounds like a bad idea. Try pumping and only squeezing the handle half way. Early cutoffs usually occur when pumping full throttle, so to speak.

You will never fill to a precise 100% anyhow. That would be akin to trying to pour exactly a pint of beer without seeing the glass or the flow of the beer.
Actually that was very common on the S197 - and turning the handle upside down and pumping was the "fix" when the pump kept shutting off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually that was very common on the S197 - and turning the handle upside down and pumping was the "fix" when the pump kept shutting off.
Interesting. I've sometimes had to adjust the tilt with some pumps/vehicles over the years, but never had to turn the whole thing. I just assumed that would not be good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Definitely try another gas station if you've only been using the one. I have constant issues with one station by my house, I can only get a few gallons in at a time before it clicks off no matter what I do with the handle or how fast I fill it. I've never had issues with other cars at that station though, only the Mustang, so I think there is something about these cars that helps attribute to the issue.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never had issues with other cars at that station though, only the Mustang, so I think there is something about these cars that helps attribute to the issue.
Maybe your Mustang is simply being a petulant child, and doesn't like what you are feeding it. 😀

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's someone else at another "pump" topping off their tank by short bursts.
There is actually just one pump, what you see are just metering dispensers fed by that pump.
When someone else repeatedly "bursts" their nozzle the pressure fluctuations can kickoff the nozzle you are pumping on.

BTW... DON'T TOP OFF YOUR TANK ALL THE WAY TO THE OPENING. This may cause a failure of the vapor purge solenoid valve located on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok this is my first capless gas tank. When I fill the tank I set the hook the stop when it's full. But every time I fill the tank it never fills 100%. This last time only filled 50% and the gas hose clicked off. How do I fill the tank all the way? I don't wanna fill until it comes out if the tank and onto the car, but it always stops too soon.
I had the same issue with the saddle tank.. it took me a really slow fill to get the passenger side saddle to fill all the way up but I finally did it , now I only let it get down to a 1/4 and fill it and it has worked perfect no issues since.. hope it helps you ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts