Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article this morning of Car and Driver doing a 0-60 on a 15 EB Automatic. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds!!! How the hell? With Stage 1 my best was 5.7 seconds on track mode with stabilitrak disabled brake boosting till 2,000 and all.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
There seems to be so much wide variation in the times people are getting in stock EB's?

I did a couple of quick 0 - 60 runs on a completely flat road, running 19'' Pirelli P Zeros, 3.55 diff, auto, 93 gas, no wheel spin, and in Sport + mode, and just going by the track app and auto start, and without stalling it up, the best I could get was a lousy 7 seconds on both back to back runs!
Only mod was a new clean K & N drop in panel.
This was on a very cold day and low humidity.
Engine oil temp, coolant and trans temp all up to normal temps.
Granted my car is still possibly tight at only 2,500Kms on the clock, and stalling it up to 1,500 - 2,000 rpm would have made a difference I know... But how people are getting 5.2 to 5.6 beats me. :)
Especially with an auto... It takes most of the skill of the driver out of the equation, not having differences in speed and rpms in changing gears manually.

Reactions: randal577

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There seems to be so much wide variation in the times people are getting in stock EB's?

I did a couple of quick 0 - 60 runs on a completely flat road, running 19'' Pirelli P Zeros, 3.55 diff, auto, 93 gas, no wheel spin, and in Sport + mode, and just going by the track app and auto start, and without stalling it up, the best I could get was a lousy 7 seconds on both back to back runs!
Only mod was a new clean K & N drop in panel.
Granted my car is still possibly tight at only 2,500Kms on the clock, and stalling it up to 1,500 - 2,000 rpm would have made a difference I know... But how people are getting 5.2 to 5.6 beats me. :)
Especially with an auto... It takes most of the skill of the driver out of the equation, not having differences in speed and rpms to change gears.
Brake boosting is key when launching. I have heard several people boost up to 3k then let go of the brake. But with stock tires I don't think that will work. Autos are typically faster since you don't have to let go of the gas and accelerate between shifts. Your turbo needs to spool up each time but I know Cobb tuning has flat foot shifting but auto is better since it keeps boost up and not necessarily RPM.

Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I watched a video that brought up an interesting point that many of these tests have correction factors, I have also read that some magazines will use a rolling start to do their tests.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I watched a video that brought up an interesting point that many of these tests have correction factors, I have also read that some magazines will use a rolling start to do their tests.
I just don't get the rolling start thing they do.... How can it be 0 - 60 if you are already moving and not at a complete standstill.

Reactions: Sarge and walt2x

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've found that revving the engine to 1,500 RPM's while holding the brake gets the best launch with minimal tire spin. I've personally managed a 5.7 on street tires and my current setup.

Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found that revving the engine to 1,500 RPM's while holding the brake gets the best launch with minimal tire spin. I've personally managed a 5.7 on street tires and my current setup.
On stock form at 1,500 rpm I would chirp my tires at launch. With the Tune at 1,500 rpm my turbo is not even spooled. Next time I try I will look at my PSI gauge. I want to see what PSI its producing at 3K RPM.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't get the rolling start thing they do.... How can it be 0 - 60 if you are already moving and not at a complete standstill.
You know I am going to try a rolling start 0-60. and here is my logic. When you do a zero to 60 you are going start in 1st gear. Now if you are rolling the transmission is in second gear and while you put your foot to the metal the engine is building boost while it has to downshift back to 1st. There is a tremendous feel of power if you accelerate at lets say 2 mph because it needs to downshift vs doing that in sport mode and starting at 1 and just flooring it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've heard of some people with 2018 autos getting 4.8 sec 0-60s i have a 2018 auto and the best i have managed so far completely stock is a 5.6

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My best so far is 5.4, MT and Cobb stage 1. I just upgraded to stage 2 and looking forward to trying to beat my best time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read an article this morning of Car and Driver doing a 0-60 on a 15 EB Automatic. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds!!! How the hell? With Stage 1 my best was 5.7 seconds on track mode with stabilitrak disabled brake boosting till 2,000 and all.
My best time so far is either 5.2 or 5.3. Full bolt on and tuned on 91

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I can't seem to get under 5.7 for a 0 - 60.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Are you still running the stock intercooler? It really chokes power as the engine reaches the top of the gears.

Yes sir, but most of my runs are in the evening when the ambient temp has dropped down to at least in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes sir, but most of my runs are in the evening when the ambient temp has dropped down to at least in the mid 70's.
The charge temps still shoot up over 150f in mild 70f weather,
The picture below is cut from a screenshot of data from my torque pro app while I still had the factory intercooler, the ambient is 26c/78f and the peak charge temp under WOT hit 76c/168f
The second pic is another older screenshot where ambient temp is 21c/69f and the peak charge under WOT hit 71c/159f.

There is also the air restriction from the narrow end tanks forcing a hard 90 degree angle on the airflow into 8 small air tubes and there is no air duverter to help the air charge flow equally through the tubes.
An aftermarket intercooler has a much larger end tank allowing a 45 degree angle for the air and much larger tubes for the air to flow through, an air diverter is commonly used to force the air to flow through the tubes evenly.

Cheap intercoolers are available for the ecoboost now through scratch and dent sales, deporacing is offering an intercooler for 329 shipped and there is the mishimoto clone on Ebay for under 250.
You dont need a high dollar race intercooler to reach your tunes full potential, a Mishimoto style unit will handle a mild tuned ecoboost without any problems.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When I got my 15 Ecoboost Mustang I spent a lot of time trying to get the best possible 0 to 60. Now this car was the worest possible combination for 0 to 60, manual transmission and 3.55 gears. The gears require a shift to third to get to sixty and it is pretty much impossible to shift a manual as fast as an automatic. Anyway, after much practice I finally got a 5.8.

I added a OTS tune and again after much practice I was able to get to 5.6. I then went with an Unleashed tune with several rounds of data logging and tune revisions and eventual best was 5.3 seconds. I decided to see what I could do if I didn't have to shift to third so I raised the redline to 7200 rpm. There is so much drop off in power at the upper rpm I could not best the 5.3. This car did not have an aftermarket intercooler which would have given better results.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought mine used with 15K miles on it this last August. Was leased and turned in. Love the thing. I WAS running 87 in it until I found this Forum and went to 93. About halfway through that first tank of 93 I decided to try a 0-60. Cool day, in the 40's so I'm sure that helped, car just warmed up to operating temps not run long at all. Gave it a try in sport mode and let it shift on it's own. I did nothing more then start out by flooring it, did not try to take it up to 1500rpm then launch, just from idle then stomping on it. I got 5.5. When I first posted this someone thought I got this number by a) going downhill (no) or b) the car had a tune on it when I bought it (can't say yay or nay on that one). All I know is the results were pretty much in line with what the testers were also getting back in the day with the test vehicles they received......so.....either they were given tuned samples to give better results.....or.....?

·
Registered
208 Posts
All I know is the results were pretty much in line with what the testers were also getting back in the day with the test vehicles they received......so.....either they were given tuned samples to give better results.....or.....?
I was thinking tuned samples also. High 4's are a lot better than mid 5's or higher for selling more mustangs.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I was thinking tuned samples also. High 4's are a lot better than mid 5's or higher for selling more mustangs.
Maybe Ford installed the FP tune (without the GT350 air box) in those 'press cars'. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Maybe Ford installed the FP tune (without the GT350 air box) in those 'press cars'. :)
If you don’t have the dongle it will be hard to tell, but the service dept should know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 181 Posts