Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,656 Posts
It does clear things up thanks. Does adding that valve affect anything else or is it just an extra layer of safety? Like would it need to be tuned for or is just slapping it in the inlet line good enough? Do you have a gutted pcv?
Adding the UPR check valve is just an extra layer of protection since the stock PCV valve is made of plastic versus aluminum like the UPR and I am sure it will not hold anywhere close to 100 psi of boost from entering the crankcase. No tuning or anything else needed to add the check valve into the line at intake. Just need to make sure of the ID of the hose you have on your catch canso you get the right size check valve.

UPR Billet Check Valve 0-100psi Operating Pressure (uprproducts.com)

BD

Reactions: hiddenpants

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I have no experience with the C&L type of catch can/separator since it has the hoses staggered going in on the side of the can so unsure how the internal construction is designed. The J&L/JLT catch can I have has both hoses going in on the top half of the can with the bottom half just an open cup design and has a baffle in to top half on the side with hose coming off the PCV valve plate. Both do the same thing as far as capturing oil vapor/mist. I would add a UPR 100 psi check valve in the intake side hose to prevent boost pressure from being able to be forced back into crankcase past the stock PCV valve. Just get the one that fits your hose ID and make sure the arrow on it is pointing toward the intake quick connector. You want the intake to be able to pull in a vacuum but not allow boost pressure to go back into catch can and PCV valve.

BD

Reactions: kadenleo77

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have no experience with the C&L type of catch can/separator since it has the hoses staggered going in on the side of the can so unsure how the internal construction is designed. The J&L/JLT catch can I have has both hoses going in on the top half of the can with the bottom half just an open cup design and has a baffle in to top half on the side with hose coming off the PCV valve plate. Both do the same thing as far as capturing oil vapor/mist. I would add a UPR 100 psi check valve in the intake side hose to prevent boost pressure from being able to be forced back into crankcase past the stock PCV valve. Just get the one that fits your hose ID and make sure the arrow on it is pointing toward the intake quick connector. You want the intake to be able to pull in a vacuum but not allow boost pressure to go back into catch can and PCV valve.

BD
Do you happen to know the size for a 2018? tried looking around couldn't seem to find it. Just purchased the cvf intercooler in black and probably going to purchase a catch can and upr check valve.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Do you happen to know the size for a 2018? tried looking around couldn't seem to find it. Just purchased the cvf intercooler in black and probably going to purchase a catch can and upr check valve.
You need to look at the hoses on your C&L catch can for the size. The hoses should have the ID written on the outside of hose, if not then remove the intake hose from the can and use a ruler/tape measure to determine the ID of the hose. It's likely 3/8" but could be 5/16" or even 7/16" or measure the nipple that you slide the hose over on the can to get the size.

BD

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wanted to get the parts around the same time so I could install this weekend, says it reuses pcv fittings, but haven't found any hose measurements would have to see after I got it. Would the pcv fittings being same as oem mean 3/8?

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I wanted to get the parts around the same time so I could install this weekend, says it reuses pcv fittings, but haven't found any hose measurements would have to see after I got it. Would the pcv fittings being same as oem mean 3/8?
I believe the fittings are 3/8" but not sure since I went with the J&L catch can that had the quick connect fittings already installed in the hoses and I know its 3/8" hose. I know its 100 bucks more but the retaining clip that hold the stock quick connect on break easily (one of mine did upon removal) and I do not believe they are available separately; you would have to buy a complete PCV line if a clip broke.

This is the one I bought.

BD

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I believe the fittings are 3/8" but not sure since I went with the J&L catch can that had the quick connect fittings already installed in the hoses and I know its 3/8" hose. I know its 100 bucks more but the retaining clip that hold the stock quick connect on break easily (one of mine did upon removal) and I do not believe they are available separately; you would have to buy a complete PCV line if a clip broke.

This is the one I bought.

BD
I'm going to go with the c&l just because it's having a huge discount, I'm gonna go with the 3/8 check valve as well, pretty sure that one will fit because that's what oem pcv fitment is I belive.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts