Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil is dumping out of my turbo ever since I had a boomba stage 2 catch can installed. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this? Under heavy acceleration white smoke plooms! Are the hoses installed on the correct lines?
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Sounds like motor oil is being pushed past the mechanical seals of your turbocharger and the primary cause is positive crankcase pressure.
The hose from your air intake, to the engine head valve cover is the low side of your PCV system and works best when it is restriction free.
However, you may also have issues on the other side (or dirty side) of the system. Have you made any changes to PCV system on the left side of your motor??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, or not that I know of atleast! I just bought the car 2 months ago. It has built block by ems down in Tennessee and a bunch of bolt ons, but the pcv system looks stock fomoco. Do you think that reversing the hoses on the catch can will do anything...maybe it was mislabeled or installed reverse by mistake??? The install video shows it being installed on the intake manifold side but the shop I took it to installed it on the other side...I trusted their knowledge...I really need help!!!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
No, or not that I know of atleast! I just bought the car 2 months ago. It has built block by ems down in Tennessee and a bunch of bolt ons, but the pcv system looks stock fomoco. Do you think that reversing the hoses on the catch can will do anything...maybe it was mislabeled or installed reverse by mistake??? The install video shows it being installed on the intake manifold side but the shop I took it to installed it on the other side...I trusted their knowledge...I really need help!!!
Then it should be on the other side, with the catchcan located between the PVC plate (located under the intake manifold) and the other end connected to the port located near the thottle body. You may also need to install a check valve, but I'm not sure of the location or direction.
However, I still recommend checking your crankcase pressure.

Reactions: michaelfried665

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
134 Posts
virtually all catch can posts say to place in on the drivers side As Coyote chaser has said. The V8 needs it on the passenger side, maybe that is why the shop put it there. I have mine on the drivers side with no problems. Read your Boomba instructions. The only people that think you need a passenger side CC are road racers and not many of them. Most people who have tried them on this site say the passenger CC stay dry.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
9 Posts
Oil is dumping out of my turbo ever since I had a boomba stage 2 catch can installed. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this? Under heavy acceleration white smoke plooms! Are the hoses installed on the correct lines? View attachment 43738
So this is a dirty side catch can which are up for debate how useful they are but have you tried the drain on the catch can to see if there is oil there? It is conceivable that if they had the in/out lines reversed the trap might be restricting the ventilation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just reversed the lines..in/out...and I'm gonna take it for a spin later...ill keep you updated. Wish me luck!
Incidentally the UPR dual catch can that mounts on the passenger side has a line that you have to tap in your air intake after the PCV line in front of the turbo for proper Wide Open Throttle operation. Not familiar enough with the Boomba to know if it has/needs that provision.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is installed on the wrong side of the PCV system. It should be on the drivers side of the car with the hose that goes to the baffed inlet of catch can attached to the PCV valve on the plate under the intake and the other hose attached to the intake manifold right behind the throttle body in inside of intake manifold. You will need to use the quick connect couplers of the stock PCV plastic line to attach the hose ends of the catch can onto to install correctly.

I would recommend buying a new PCV sensor line that the hoses are connected to now in passengers' side so it can function correctly. Then also buy a UPR 100 PSI one-way check valve and place in between the intake connection and catch can hose with the arrow for flow direction pointing toward the intake connection.

Search you tube for ecoboost catch can install videos to understand how to do it correctly and hose routings. You will need to put car on jack stands or a lift to get to the PCV plate under intake to connect the hose for the baffled side of catch can.

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the driver side oil/air separator aka catch can are a must have and really Ford should have them as standard equipment on everything. The passenger side ones that I have seen installed are almost always dry no matter the mileage which makes me wonder if that one is even necessary. I have the Ford Performance Oil/Air separator , drivers side on mine but they do make one for the passenger side also.
Motor vehicle Product Font Automotive tire Automotive design

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Slope

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So the driver side oil/air separator aka catch can are a must have and really Ford should have them as standard equipment on everything. The passenger side ones that I have seen installed are almost always dry no matter the mileage which makes me wonder if that one is even necessary. I have the Ford Performance Oil/Air separator , drivers side on mine but they do make one for the passenger side also. View attachment 43774
View attachment 43773
On an ecoboost the driver's side is the dirty side and the passenger's side is the clean side, it's just the opposite on the V8 mustangs. It is not an absolute must that you have to have a catch can on an ecoboost but having one does ensure that as little oil mist gets into the intake as possible so as to prevent dilution of the air/fuel charge during the combustion cycle that can cause detonation issues.

I have a JLT catch can setup mine with a UPR 100 PSI check valve 2 " from the connection at the intake to prevent any chance of boost pressure from being forced back into crankcase past the PCV valve. The clean side IMO is a waste of money.

The OP just needs to move his from where it is now and connect to the driver's side between the PCV valve and the intake connections per the instructions on the FP drivers catch can above and replace the clean side sensor/line back to the factory item.

Ford does not install a driver's side catch can because it is not necessary, and they can make money selling as aftermarket item.

BD

·
Registered
2019 EcoBoost performance package
260 Posts
Ford does not install a driver's side catch can because it is not necessary, and they can make money selling as aftermarket item.

BD
Ford also knows that the average driver is lucky to even change the oil regularly. Getting them to take the time to empty a catch can? Not going to happen. So easier to assure that the vapors etc. are drawn in and burned than have the EPA fine Ford for what owners do, and the risk of engine damage from driving around with full catch cans.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Catch can is definitely an added maintenance item, but IMO well worth the little time it takes to empty every 1000 miles. Just needs to be installed correctly to function as designed.

BD

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Did you get your oil smoking issue resolved yet, get catch can routing corrected?

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
1 - 16 of 16 Posts