Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please? I decided I needed a change of scenery for the first time in months. Check engine light came on while on the highway. Not acting strange, driving weird, or sounding any different. 32,300 miles on a 2017 ecoboost. I would normally ask my fiancée but he just passed away in June. Over 400 miles from home, feeling very nervous and helpless right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^^ The auto parts store is a great idea. They have no reason or opportunity to rip you off so you should feel relatively safe that you are getting sound advice, PLUS they'll check codes for free. It could be a myriad of things that may mot require immediate attention that would at least allow you to get home.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
There are two types of check engine lights.
One indicating a serious fault the other not as serious but still requires attention.
Without checking for codes... The more serious ones are those that will also cause the car to go into "limp mode".
Limp mode, means the car will keep driving but with reduced power to protect the drivetrain.
You will know when your car goes into limp mode... You put your foot down to accelerate, but the car takes a long time to reach speed and feels sluggish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone, I just had the people at Advance run the codes. They is only showing one code P144c. Any advice? Can I drive it back home? Fix suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi everyone, I just had the people at Advance run the codes. They is only showing one code P144c. Any advice? Can I drive it back home? Fix suggestions?
Yes, you can drive it.....whenever you have check engine lights etc, it's best to drive it easy, don;t run it hard and cause more problems. Stay out off the boost etc.

From my quick research, it need a part of the hose replaced that has the check valve in it and then the code needs to be erased in a specific manner that writes to the PCM, or the code will keep coming back even though there is nothing wrong. This is probably best to have repair done by a dealer as they are familiar with the process, at least they are supposed to be. Like them or not, it's worth it to find a good dealer shop as every car has weird brand specific things that just get handled better by the dealer. Just erasing the code with a standard code reader will not do it. Get it fixed or you risk more parts going bad, like the purge canister etc. It shouldn't cost a fortune, probably a couple hundred bucks.

Again, I'm no expert, but the above is what my quick internet research shows. Ask around and find a good dealer in your area and have them look at it and give you an estimate. Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe this is part of the emissions system covered under the Emission Warranty ,"for up to 8 years/ 80,000 miles. whichever comes first, for Catalytic converters, electronic emissions control unit, and on board emissions diagnostic devices". Not sure if this applies to your problem, but worth having Ford look at it for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Advice please? I decided I needed a change of scenery for the first time in months. Check engine light came on while on the highway. Not acting strange, driving weird, or sounding any different. 32,300 miles on a 2017 ecoboost. I would normally ask my fiancée but he just passed away in June. Over 400 miles from home, feeling very nervous and helpless right now.
Im truly sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
This video explains the solution for P144C

·
Registered
163 Posts
Suzanne, this valve is part of the car's emission system that prevents fuel vapors escaping to the atmosphere. Fuel vapors in the tank are stored in a canister filled with charcoal which are then routed to the engine to be burned off. If the valve is sticking open or closed it can cause strange behavior from the engine (rough idle, hesitation, etc.), but it won't damage your car to drive it this way. This part has a history of spontaneous failure on the EcoBoost platform, but it can also be damaged by overfilling the fuel tank. When filling the tank you should stop when the pump click off the first time. If you keep pumping after the first click you can get fuel into the canister that's supposed to store only fumes. If that happens you can get raw fuel down the line where this valve is installed, and that can damage it. Bottom line, do not overfill your fuel tank--stop filling after the first click.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
936 Posts
I am truly sorry for your loss. My condolences. Remember your never alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts