Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i installed the MBRP catted downpipe 2 days ago and just today the check engine light popped up. The company said that tuning is not required and no lights will come up. I'm surprised it didnt pop up as soon as i installed the car if it was gonna pop out anyway. Is it safe to drive the car with the light on? and is tuning the car my only option right now? because i dont want to void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You probably got P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold. I got the same thing on a BBK catted downpipe. Most high flow cats are 200 cell while OEM ones are usually 400 cell. Most high flow ones will pop the CEL. You should be fine to drive the car. You can get an O2 spacer for the downstream sensor to get rid of the code.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I added the spacer on my mbrp as well. No light or code.

Reactions: wanghs09

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I added the spacer on my mbrp as well. No light or code.
Can i have the name of the exact spacer you used? There's too many options and shapes. I want one to work with the mbrp high flow downpipe that happens to be in your case. So specifying its brand name or code or anything might be a huge help for me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Administrator
6,614 Posts
just the one after the cat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The CEL takes a bit to turn on because the ECU likes to monitor and “self-test” things like catalytic converter, o2 sensors, evaporative emissions, etc. It has certain values it is looking for and will usually wait until the car runs and fails the test a couple or few times ( a few drive cycles) before it decides there is a definite issue and the light needs to come on.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have the cvf catted downpipe with the OEM 2.25 connection being installed on Tuesday and it will connect to the mbrp race series cat-back for a full turbo back system. Anyone get a CEL with the cvf catted dp? if I get the CEl what spacer do I need?

According to Bama, the OTS tune will work with either the OEM or high flow cat so no revision is needed.

·
Read Only
0 Posts

this is where I bought mine, same downpipe as you. - it shows up on my scanner as a low efficiency code, but it doesn't turn the check engine light on. which is all I cared about.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yes. You have to use that adapter. I used the small fitting first, it still tripped o2 sensir

used middle one. The o2 sensor went away and never came back after the next day of driving. Could go to aurozone and use the scanner and clear the code after installed.

Re read

what? You need the o2 sensor installed. You just need this spacer

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes. You have to use that adapter. I used the small fitting first, it still tripped o2 sensir

used middle one. The o2 sensor went away and never came back after the next day of driving. Could go to aurozone and use the scanner and clear the code after installed.

Re read

what? You need the o2 sensor installed. You just need this spacer
I corrected the post and added restrictor. I have the rev-x scanner so I can clear the code myself. Thanks for the information. I rescheduled the downpipe installation after I get the O2 restrictor.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I was able to install the o2 sensor while pipe was on the car, albeit it was extremely tight. another 1-2mm less play and I wouldn't of been able to do rotations on it to twist, but it did work for me on the car.

but smart, its easier to do it while off. I just jacked up a wheel and installed it in driveway took 10 mins

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.