Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear this clunk noise when stopped or barely rolling when I apply and release the brakes. At first I thought it was just the pads scooting back and forth in the calipers when I pumped the brakes, but I noticed it when I go over the little rise in the slab when I go from the driveway into the garage. I did this several times with the brake off, just letting the car (automatic) pull itself into the garage over that little 1/2" jump onto the garage floor from the driveway. I took off both front wheels and checked everything and can't find anything loose, but then I can't create the kind of torque just wiggling stuff by hand that the car can when down on the suspension. Sounds like SOMETHING is loose but I can't find it!:(
There was another post about a similar sound that somebody posted when they took their car to the dealer but I can't find it now or know what the results were. I'm thinking with 50K miles, maybe worn strut mounts? But the car drives straight as a string with no handling or ride weirdness.
Anybody else had this clunk,clunk when pumping the brakes while barely rolling? 2016 EcoBoost premium, Son's 2017 doesn't do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little update: Went over to a friends house tonight so did more testing of when it happens while backing down the driveway. Doesn't do it when rolling backwards and doesn't matter if it is in gear or coasting. Only does it when rolling forward and doesn't matter if it is in gear or coasting. A little clunk when I apply the brakes and another clunk when I release them. Also hear it when the front tires encounter a small bump like the end of the driveway or edge of the garage slab. Doesn't appear to hurt anything, but it's bugging the hell out of me because I can't find what it is. First thought is lower front control arm bushing because it doesn't do it when rolling backwards.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm thinking control arm or sway bar bushing too.

Maybe get a wheel alignment and see if anything odd come up.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my car the control arm was the issue. I had the same symptoms as you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is interesting, I just encountered something similar. I need to test the car more this afternoon to see but when applying my brakes I hear a clunk also. I also found it when oddly applying the handbrake.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So Cactus Jim, did you ever find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Cactus Jim, did you ever find out what the problem was?
Haven’t figured it out yet, but it doesn’t seem to be hurting anything or getting worse either. Might get it up this weekend and check all the suspension bushings. Not firmiliar with the S550 suspension yet, so this will be a learning experience as well. I do know that I DONT like the way the rear suspension is now, so I’m going to get to know that end real well before I’m satisfied with the way it handles. My Corvette will turn circles around this thing and Ford surely must have learned how to make a car handle by now. I’m going to find out why and fix it!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still haven't found it! Been cruising the internet and found multiple people with the same weird noise. Checked and re-tightened caliper bolts, no change. People have replaced BOTH lower control arms.......still there! Sway bar end links.....Still there! Tightened the strut top bolts..NOPE. I've tightened every nut & bolt on that whole suspension and checked everything on the front end except the sub-frame and that's next. SOME dealers tell customers they can't seem to duplicate it, and when it is duplicated in front of them by the customers, they just shrug and say they don't know what it is! What the hell? One guy said he was even going to re-weld the body seam; which I think is a bit extreme, but people are upset about this seeming lack of interest by Ford to solve this little irritation. Some cars do it and some don't, but that's little consolation to those who are bugged by this mystery noise. The search will continue.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had similar symptoms on a different car (not a mustang) that turned out to be worn caliper guide bolts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I FOUND IT !:) My Son came over this afternoon and we did some driveway testing. Put the car in Drive and let it pull itself slowly on the driveway while one of us looked to see if anything was loose. Traded positions and neither one of us could see anything but could definitely feel and hear it. Then with the car off, in park with the E-brake set, we wiggled the tires at the top in and out to check wheel bearing looseness, then tried to wiggle them side to side to check tie rods....NOTHING.Then he grabbed the tire at the top and tried to roll it back and forth. CLUNK, CLUNK!
I got my high power flashlight and put it on tight spotlight and shined it through the spokes at the lower front control arm joint to the frame while he did it again and I could see the joint deflecting back and forth about an 1/8th of an inch as he rocked the tire! NEW FORD HP CONTROL ARMS WITH BALL JOINTS ARE ON ORDER!!!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m about 52K now, but it’s been doing it for quite a while now. I’d say 5 or 6 thousand miles maybe. Been getting a lot louder these last couple of months. I’d been under there several times checking fasteners and giving things a shake, but just wasn’t strong enough to make anything move by hand. We had to push that wheel back and forth pretty hard to finally see and hear any deflection.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I didn't have the clunk noise, but when I went for an alignment after suspension parts they needed to replace the control arm, driver side.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's kinda sad that we're seeing suspension replacements at what I consider low mileage. In my youth when you had greaseable joints, as long as you did the maintenance, they lasted forever.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I think anything under 75k miles is rediculous unless you’re doing off road stuff. This was the driver side front bushing to the frame attachment. Looked almost like the rubber doughnut had shrunk enough to let the arm wiggle around it. Don’t know about the ball joints, but they’re ALL getting changed with the new arms this week. Hopefully things quiet down now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That really sucks, new technology has vehicles living 100K practically trouble free, you just do a few simple maintenance procedures during that time and all should be well. My son worked at a Ford dealership for 25 years, he was factory trained, and even during his career he always talked about Ford's short lived suspension components. Even back in the 60's and 70's it was not unusual to change ball joints in a lot of Ford cars (the trucks weren't as bad), but you just replaced them with Moog at 50k and you never worried about them again. I believe that technology is allowing the building of better designed components but cost is requiring the manufacturers to use cheaper disposable pieces when building them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well,I received the new control arms today and they look very well made. Question though for anybody that has installed them. The holes in the bushings are a LOT bigger diameter than the bolts that came with the kit. I've downloaded the instructions and they are pretty detailed as to what goes where and all the proper torque settings but make no mention of how those arms are suposed to be aligned into the frame mounts. Are there any detents embossed into the mounts that center the bushings in those holes? That looks like a huge amount of slop between the outside diameter of the bolts and the inside of the bushings! It almost looks like there should be a sleeve to fit in there. I'd post a picture but I'm at a friends house doggie sitting and not on my own computer right now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Downloaded the instructions and looked at the hardware again. I feel like a dumbass now because i was sticking one of the bolts into the bushing of the wrong arm. They are two different lengths and threaded lengths. After reading the very detailed instructions and looking at all the parts, everything makes more sense. There are tapered shoulders on the bolts that fit perfectly into the bushing sleeves and the bushings on the front arm even has a little raised fin on it to locate it into a slot in the frame. Nice kit! My fat fingers don’t fit the tiny keys on this iphone so if it looks like a thirdhrader typed this, thats what it is!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes! All is well now. The clunk noise was the driver side control arm that extends forward from the spindle to the frame moving back and forth in the mount. I could see the arm moving but couldn't tell if it was the bushing worn out or the mounting bolt until I had them out of the frame mount. I had already ordered the new control arm kit so I put them on and just saved the old ones. (I think maybe the bolt might have not been torqued tight enough on the old arms, cause I couldn't find anything wrong with them after removing them.) BUT: The new ones are MUCH better because the arm that runs from the spindle at right angle to the frame has a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing in it. It does NOT deflect at all during cornering and believe me you can really feel the difference in cornering stability! Plus, the new arms have a little air deflector wing that directs cool air to the front brakes. (y)
The hardest part was getting the balljoints out of the spindle. A little Harbor Freight tool fit and pressed them out after cutting the hex tips off the balljoint studs so the jaws of the tool would fit over the studs. The first one took me a while to figure out cause one of the balljoints was really tight, but the other side was a snap and everything was a quick bolt on. You need a good torque wrench though cause the big bolts to the frame are really tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts