Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! All is well now. The clunk noise was the driver side control arm that extends forward from the spindle to the frame moving back and forth in the mount. I could see the arm moving but couldn't tell if it was the bushing worn out or the mounting bolt until I had them out of the frame mount. I had already ordered the new control arm kit so I put them on and just saved the old ones. (I think maybe the bolt might have not been torqued tight enough on the old arms, cause I couldn't find anything wrong with them after removing them.) BUT: The new ones are MUCH better because the arm that runs from the spindle at right angle to the frame has a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing in it. It does NOT deflect at all during cornering and believe me you can really feel the difference in cornering stability! Plus, the new arms have a little air deflector wing that directs cool air to the front brakes. (y)
The hardest part was getting the balljoints out of the spindle. A little Harbor Freight tool fit and pressed them out after cutting the hex tips off the balljoint studs so the jaws of the tool would fit over the studs. The first one took me a while to figure out cause one of the balljoints was really tight, but the other side was a snap and everything was a quick bolt on. You need a good torque wrench though cause the big bolts to the frame are really tight.
Could you share the link of the part that you order?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
These are the control arms I installed and they did make a big difference in the turn-in stability on a quick entry into a turn. The rear arms have a spherical BEARING instead of a rubber bushing so there is no deflection at all. You can feel the difference but it doesn't have any harshness or noise over the stock ones. I think I ordered mine through LMR (Late Model Restorations) and they were significantly less expensive, free shipping and fast delivery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These are the control arms I installed and they did make a big difference in the turn-in stability on a quick entry into a turn. The rear arms have a spherical BEARING instead of a rubber bushing so there is no deflection at all. You can feel the difference but it doesn't have any harshness or noise over the stock ones. I think I ordered mine through LMR (Late Model Restorations) and they were significantly less expensive, free shipping and fast delivery.
Thanks so much man, you just save my life!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts