Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm done for now with the suspension and steering mods and now it's time for a Cobb Accessport and then a custom tune. I bought my car very little used (13K) but it did have some upgrades like the MagnaFlow exhaust. On Cobbs website there is a warning about: Warning! Installation of this Accessport over anything other than OEM or COBB software may result in ECU/TCU failure. Does the Accessport recognize that another ECU modification has occurred? If there is a previous tune how does one delete it? Sorry I'm an old carburetor guy learning new tricks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
OK, I'm done for now with the suspension and steering mods and now it's time for a Cobb Accessport and then a custom tune. I bought my car very little used (13K) but it did have some upgrades like the MagnaFlow exhaust. On Cobbs website there is a warning about: Warning! Installation of this Accessport over anything other than OEM or COBB software may result in ECU/TCU failure. Does the Accessport recognize that another ECU modification has occurred? If there is a previous tune how does one delete it? Sorry I'm an old carburetor guy learning new tricks.
It's likely that you have an OEM calibration on the ECU. There are other tuning platforms out there such as SCT and N-GAUGE. At 13k miles you should be fine. If it's got any other tune in it you could have the Ford dealer reflash the stock calibration. Odds are the factory calibration is untouched on such a low miles car to preserve the warranty.

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
8 Posts
I did the Cobb tune in my car. It was a great addition to the other mods I did. When I looked into the navigation that the car did not have I found they wanted about $700.00 to do the reconfig. But I found I could do it by myself for the cost of SD nav card($12.00) But the reason I said this is I got similar popups on screen that says it could damage it but I foraged on and it works factory. So don't be afraid to install the Cobb tune. You will get more smiles per miles. And my mustang my wife will not drive my mustang because it makes her drive aggressively.😁

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If your Mustang has a tune that is not a Cobb OTS tune or is stock, then it should be returned first to the OEM tune before adding a Cobb OTS tune.
Otherwise there could be parameters the third party tune has changed that may conflict with the performance of the new Cobb OTS, that are not altered when you install the Cobb OTS tune.
Compatibility can then not be guaranteed.
For example, the Ford Performance tune also changes the auto shift points, which the Cobb OTS does not.
So overwriting the FP tune, may not alter the auto trans parameter changes, that could lead to aggressive or wrong shift points in the new power curve loaded.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe the dealership service center can detect tune. They can also reset your ECU back to factory. I found this out when I took my old, new edge GT, to the dealer and they had to reset my ecu which had a Diablo sport tune. After they reset, the car no longer recognized the Diablo tuner.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local Ford dealer is one of the best around my area but I don't want to bring it in and raise a red flag by having them check my ECU for a tune. Is their any other way to check for an altered ECU and flash it back to OEM? I have catted down pipe and a full race intercooler and that's obvious I have modded the car but I'd like to fly under the radar for any warranty work.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My local Ford dealer is one of the best around my area but I don't want to bring it in and raise a red flag by having them check my ECU for a tune. Is their any other way to check for an altered ECU and flash it back to OEM? I have catted down pipe and a full race intercooler and that's obvious I have modded the car but I'd like to fly under the radar for any warranty work.
Even if you flash back to the stock tune the dealer can see that the ECU has been flashed. There is a flash counter in the ECU that will clue in the dealer that it was flashed a certain amount of times.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is their any other way to check for an altered ECU and flash it back to OEM? I have catted down pipe and a full race intercooler and that's obvious I have modded the car but I'd like to fly under the radar for any warranty work.
Well, on a 2015 - 2017 Ecoboost Mustang, (if it's an auto), it it extremely easy to see if the car has a Cobb OTS flashed.
When driving, and in "D" mode (not sport), the actual gear you are in, will be displayed on the dash, e.g. 1,2,3,4,5 or 6th.
A stock 2015 - 2017 Ecoboost won't show what gear you are in when in normal "drive" mode.
A cobb OTS tune adds that visual improvement. :)

Reactions: SamAce75

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, let me re-phrase my questions:
Can I check for any brand of tune without going to the dealer? If yes, HOW.
If there is a tune how can I disable (add your own verb and delete the word disable) it and not cause problems when installing a Cobb Accessport?

My goal:
Install the Cobb Accessport with no problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It might be possible with the beta version of forscan, I think 2.4? I don't know if for sure but, it's got hella cool stuff in there. Enabled line lock on my EB with the gt brakes.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
OK, let me re-phrase my questions:
Can I check for any brand of tune without going to the dealer? If yes, HOW.
If there is a tune how can I disable (add your own verb and delete the word disable) it and not cause problems when installing a Cobb Accessport?

My goal:
Install the Cobb Accessport with no problems.
Quick answer is no, you cannot determine the brand of tune your car has, but Ford dealers using their IDS diagnostic equipment can determine if the ECU has been flashed.
They can also see how many "drive cycles" the car has done since the last reflash, or flash back to stock.
You would need the device the ECU was flashed with, i.e. SCT or Cobb to recognise its own tune software.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Even if you flash back to the stock tune the dealer can see that the ECU has been flashed. There is a flash counter in the ECU that will clue in the dealer that it was flashed a certain amount of times.
FWIW, when i take my car in for it's annual inspection they plug into the OBD port for the emissions portion. On the print out i get lists how miles the car has been driven since the last time the ECU was flashed and how many run cycles have occurred since the ECU was last reset (ie codes cleared). I tuned mine at about 1k miles and the print out shows about 1k less miles than i have driven.

May be the local inspection station will run the emissions test for you. If the number of miles match your odometer miles you can assume its never been flashed.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts