Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone from a COBB OTS tune to a custom tune by Adam? If so, can you tell me what OTS tune you were running and give me an idea of the results after the custom tune was applied?

I'm considering shelling out the $200 for a single custom tune, but honestly not sure how much more HP & TQ he'd be able to get out of her.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm sure Adam will be able to erk out a few more Hp and torque, as the Cobb OTS tunes are designed to be safe and a little conservative.
However, whether it's Adam or another tuner, your limiting factor is 91 and a downpipe upgrade.
It's a shame 93 may not be readily available in your area... That alone would make a difference even with Cobb Stage 2 - 93.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
I did.

At the time I was on a Cobb OTS stage 2 tune, and had everything except the downpipe to go to Stage 3. Overall I was happy with the results, though I paid for the lifetime tune, knowing that I wasn't done with mechanical mods yet.

Results were less "seat of the pants faster" than previous upgrades, but did make a nice difference. The farther you go, the less you feel the tune updates, even though they are working. The biggest upgrade is always the first tune.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did.

At the time I was on a Cobb OTS stage 2 tune, and had everything except the downpipe to go to Stage 3. Overall I was happy with the results, though I paid for the lifetime tune, knowing that I wasn't done with mechanical mods yet.

Results were less "seat of the pants faster" than previous upgrades, but did make a nice difference. The farther you go, the less you feel the tune updates, even though they are working. The biggest upgrade is always the first tune.
Can you estimate the HP & TQ increase in going with his custom tune?

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I got the Cobb, I went through all 3 stages on 93 and eventually ponied up for Adams tune. The biggest difference I noticed is the turbo really coming alive. I'll do a pull and there is much higher boost psi all the way through the run. You can really feel it keeping you in the back of the seat all the way to 100+ mph. I have an auto and also picked up the transmission tune, which is only active in sport mode. With Cobb stage 3 I was doing 5.2 second 0-60's, with Adams tunes I'm down to 4.6. The 0-30 times are still the same, but the 30+ is where you will actually notice the differences. Its almost hard to drive my car at the speed limit these days lol

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
I'm not sure on the HP increase, but I know that The Tune+ tune bumped TQ over 400ft/pd. As Tom said the turbo really came alive after the tune and you can see the differences much more while moving than just off the line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I got the Cobb, I went through all 3 stages on 93 and eventually ponied up for Adams tune. The biggest difference I noticed is the turbo really coming alive. I'll do a pull and there is much higher boost psi all the way through the run. You can really feel it keeping you in the back of the seat all the way to 100+ mph. I have an auto and also picked up the transmission tune, which is only active in sport mode. With Cobb stage 3 I was doing 5.2 second 0-60's, with Adams tunes I'm down to 4.6. The 0-30 times are still the same, but the 30+ is where you will actually notice the differences. Its almost hard to drive my car at the speed limit these days lol
Same results here with going from Cobb Stage 3 93oct to Adam tune. I think a large part of the performance gains you and I are seeing is because of the transmission tune? Although I had the Tune+ wastegate actuator installed at the same time as I installed Adams tune so I dont know how much of an effect that had on the turbo response vs the tune optimizing that hardware upgrade. But yeah, the combo dropped my 0-60times over half a second from the full Cobb Stage 3 setup on 93oct and I still have tuning runs to do to optimize my performance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same results here with going from Cobb Stage 3 93oct to Adam tune. I think a large part of the performance gains you and I are seeing is because of the transmission tune? Although I had the Tune+ wastegate actuator installed at the same time as I installed Adams tune so I dont know how much of an effect that had on the turbo response vs the tune optimizing that hardware upgrade. But yeah, the combo dropped my 0-60times over half a second from the full Cobb Stage 3 setup on 93oct and I still have tuning runs to do to optimize my performance.
No doubt the transmission tune accounts for a few tenths! I recommend it for anyone with an auto that wants serious speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts