Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PP AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here.

I just pulled the trigger on a Cobb Accessport V3 for my 2018 auto. Only other mods I have are a K&N drop in filter and MBRP Race catback. I'm planning on running the Stage 1 91 octane OTS tune with no real plans of moving on to Stage 2 or 3. I wanted to hear about your experience with the OTS Stage1 tune, and whether or not I'd be safe running this setup for the next couple of years.

I've spoken with a Ford mechanic and he said that it should be pretty reliable with just a Stage 1 tune, but I'd like to hear about some real world experience too.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
908 Posts
My experience with stage 1 OTS was not great. Yes it woke the car up and many people have had nothing but good experiences with it. But something just never felt right with it. These are generic maps and no two engines are the same, so each one will respond differently. Now the custom tune is night vs day. My car is a DD and has over 145k on it now.

Reactions: Zimmeruski

·
Registered
2018 PP AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience with stage 1 OTS was not great. Yes it woke the car up and many people have had nothing but good experiences with it. But something just never felt right with it. These are generic maps and no two engines are the same, so each one will respond differently. Now the custom tune is night vs day. My car is a DD and has over 145k on it now.
Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on what felt wrong with it? And how long did you run it before you switched to a custom tune?

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
908 Posts
It never felt smooth. The acceleration up to 5500rpm before the tune was smooth and liner after that the stock tune is well known to fall flat on its face.

After flashing stage one (with and without colder plugs) It was alot better after 5500rpm but the smooth liner acceleration wasn't there it would surge when cruising. Had a few degrees negative corrections on cylinder 4 more then enough for me to be like yeah I need a custom tune or something else was wrong.

I ran it for about 3 months. I also had to change back from stock plugs to one step cooler when I got custom tuned.

I'm very happy with the custom tune and the ability to have health checks done for free from time to time. Usually at the start of summer beginning of winter.

Reactions: Zimmeruski

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I have had the Cobb Stage 1 - 98 Tune (your 93 in the USA) on my 2017 for the last 32,000 Kms, and it runs like a dream, never had a problem.
It really wakes up the car but keeps the reliability IMO.
The key with any tune, is to make sure your are always using top tier fuel.
I always use BP Ultimate, which is said to be the best in our country.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Go Further, regarding the use of Top Tier gas. It was formulated to reduce carbon deposits and LSPI. Also, I would recommend using a full synthetic oil, with an API rating of SN+, for the same reasons. Also, I would consider adding an intercooler, as the stock intercooler is insufficient for a stock car, let alone a tuned one. My stock car's performance would drop off after one 0-60 pass, in 60° weather. I installed a CPE stock location intercooler and can now do repeated 0-60 passes, with no performance loss. I chose the CPE because Tune+ said it was the best stock location intercooler, of the many he had dyno tuned. Also, he didn't have a high opinion of the Mishimoto intercooler. CVFab seems to make good products, but they were late to the game, with their ecoboost intercooler, and I've seen no independent testing of it. Due to the added weight and expense, l would only use a bigger race intercooler if I lived in a really hot place, or was planning on tuning with E-30, race gas, E85 or larger turbo. Have you considered the Ford Performance tune? Their tune includes transmission tuning.

·
Registered
2018 PP AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had the Cobb Stage 1 - 98 Tune (your 93 in the USA) on my 2017 for the last 32,000 Kms, and it runs like a dream, never had a problem.
It really wakes up the car but keeps the reliability IMO.
The key with any tune, is to make sure your are always using top tier fuel.
I always use BP Ultimate, which is said to be the best in our country.
Don’t have any BP near me, but I’ve only ever pumped Chevron/Shell/Mobil in my car, and I’ll definitely keep that trend up after the tune 👍

·
Registered
2018 PP AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with Go Further, regarding the use of Top Tier gas. It was formulated to reduce carbon deposits and LSPI. Also, I would recommend using a full synthetic oil, with an API rating of SN+, for the same reasons. Also, I would consider adding an intercooler, as the stock intercooler is insufficient for a stock car, let alone a tuned one. My stock car's performance would drop off after one 0-60 pass, in 60° weather. I installed a CPE stock location intercooler and can now do repeated 0-60 passes, with no performance loss. I chose the CPE because Tune+ said it was the best stock location intercooler, of the many he had dyno tuned. Also, he didn't have a high opinion of the Mishimoto intercooler. CVFab seems to make good products, but they were late to the game, with their ecoboost intercooler, and I've seen no independent testing of it. Due to the added weight and expense, l would only use a bigger race intercooler if I lived in a really hot place, or was planning on tuning with E-30, race gas, E85 or larger turbo. Have you considered the Ford Performance tune? Their tune includes transmission tuning.
I’ll look into doing an intercooler and Stage 2 down the line, but for now I don’t have any plans to tbh. I don’t track the car and I was just looking for a little bump in power and a way to mitigate the slump that happens around 5k rpm, so the stage 1 seems perfect for me. Maybe after running the tune for a while I’ll crave more lol.

I was very close to picking up the Ford Performance tune as well, but I liked how the Accessport allowed me to upgrade more if I wanted to in the future. That, and all the extra goodies that come with it. I also had a hard time finding many opinions/reviews around the FP tune, so that kinda turned me away from it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Adding a better intercooler is as much about engine safety/reliability as it is about adding power. Personally, I wouldn't tune it without a better intercooler and some tuners won't either.
There are a lot of reviews on this forum about the Ford Performance tune, but if you've already decided on the Cobb, you're money, you're choice.
Chevron, Mobile, and Shell are all Top Tier Gas, but Tune+ advises against using Shell. He says their additive package doesn't play well with tuning the ecoboost.

·
Registered
2018 Eco Prem Convert AT
15 Posts
Been running 93 since I got the car. Added cobb1 93 runs pretty good but kinda choppy but I think thats more this 10 speed with commitment issues. Once the IC and DP go on just going with pro tune. Since I am in dfw Adam seems the right choice for tuning.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since most tuners do email tunes, your location doesn't really matter, unless you wanted it dyno tuned. Of course, dyno tuning will cost more. Tune+ and PD Tuning both offer transmission tuning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts