Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Would you spend $200 for a single custom tune by Adam to achieve a little more HP and TQ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've posted a number of times lately that I'm perfectly content with where my car is performance wise, Cobb Stage 2 (disregarding the HP and TQ numbers that I'm pulling or believe to be pulling), but the question to all of you is this.

Would you, if sitting around 310 HP to the wheels (humor me on that point), spend $200 for a custom single tune by Adam not knowing exactly what more you'd gain out of it? I've put up a poll here for this, but feel free to post your comments as well.

If you're curious what my mods are, read my signature block, it's all in there. I'm on the fence here and need a push in one direction or the other.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Yes, because no two cars are exactly the same... Different engine tolerances, wear rates, age, and engine condition, etc.
Some EB Mustangs can leave the factory with slightly more or slightly less than the rated 310HP, and different results would be noted running them on the same dyno under the same atmospheric conditions.
OTS tune values are designed to be safe and take the above individual engine differences into consideration.
A custom tune, on the other hand 'tweaks' the tune parameters to suit your individual engine characteristics more precisely, for better fuel economy and performance.

It's the difference between buying a generic sized suit off the rack in a clothing store or getting one tailor made to suit your measurements perfectly. :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, because no two cars are exactly the same... Different engine tolerances, wear rates, age, and engine condition, etc.
Some EB Mustangs can leave the factory with slightly more or slightly less than the rated 310HP, and different results would be noted running them on the same dyno under the same atmospheric conditions.
OTS tune values are designed to be safe and take the above individual engine differences into consideration.
A custom tune, on the other hand 'tweaks' the tune parameters to suit your individual engine characteristics more precisely, for better fuel economy and performance.

It's the difference between buying a generic sized suit off the rack in a clothing store or getting one tailor made to suit your measurements perfectly. :)
Thanks, but 2 things... please answer the poll so I can see those numbers, and 2) please understand that I believe I'm sitting around 310 HP to the wheels, not the stock 315 to the crank.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I cant see the poll on Tapatalk but from what I have seen.

Adam wont be able to do much as far as getting more horsepower on 91 octane fuel but he can give you a more aggressive torque curve.

Best I can figure from available data the Cobb stage 2 91 tune should give about 330 to 340 foot pounds of torque at the wheels on a 15 to 17 model.
With custom tuning the peak torque should be boosted to the 350 foot pounds of torque range on a 91 tune.
Cobbs old dyno documentation shows higher peak torque numbers beyond 350 foot pounds on all their tunes but it seems they have reduced torque over the subsequent revisions for reliability and compatibility.

This video shows a pro tuner from Fftec getting 305hp and 350tq on 91, it's not Adam but all the tuners are working with the same limitations so the results will be similar.

This car is a 2015 auto with the following mods.
MagnaFlow Competition Series Catback -AEM Cold Air Intake -ATP Off-road Downpipe -Mishimoto Intercooler -Dyno Tune by FFTEC Motorsports (Cobb) -UPR SC Oil Catch Can -Turbosmart IWG75 10 PSI Wastegate Actuator -NGK Spark Plugs -HKS BOV CP-E kit.

This video shows a pro tune from 5 star getting 315hp and 358tq on 91.

This car is a 2015 (transmission not stated) with the following mods.
intercooler, catted 3” down pipe and exhaust

This video shows a Stratified pro tuned 2017 auto getting 316hp and 360tq on a 93 tune.

This cars mods are only an ETS intercooler and NGK plugs on 93 octane esso fuel.(this youtuber has another video showing him getting a 12.9 quarter mile time on this tune).

You will find a few videos on YouTube showing some crazy high dyno numbers on cars with only an intake and downpipe on pump gas. They are from the early days of the platform before tuners really understood what a good reliable tune should be.

So in summary it looks like a pro tune will give you 5 to 10 hp and 15 to 25 tq increase with some different driving characteristics, wheather that is worth a $200 investment is a personal choice, if the car isnt having any issues with the ots tune then there is no reason not to trust it but a little more power is always desirable.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Perfect timing. I am on Stage 2 and like it. Just went with PD Tuning and received base map today. Going to try to get data logs tonight. I primarily went for hopes of a safer tune (based on my mods) and a little more performance. Will keep you posted..!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Perfect timing. I am on Stage 2 and like it. Just went with PD Tuning and received base map today. Going to try to get data logs tonight. I primarily went for hopes of a safer tune (based on my mods) and a little more performance. Will keep you posted..!
Ryan will start the base to see where the engine is at, then give you revisions bring boost and power up a little at a time. I had 7 revisions to get my car in its sweet spot. Now, I have added another mod and he is revising my tune.

Reactions: PonyLite
1 - 7 of 7 Posts