Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Cobb

5K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Horcy1 
#1 ·
Hi
I just installed the following , do I need to tune my 2017 Ecoboost to setup all below equipment ?
-COBB air intake
-COBB Intercooler
-Ford body throttle 70mm
- Oil can
-I just order online a street exhaust MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
I got some difficulty to use my X4 tune , I am not very familiar with Microsoft . I order a COBB Tune can be use with Mac computer , it is more easy to use ?
thanks guy for your help
Patrick

#2 ·
With those parts already in place, you can tune to Cobb Stage 2 OTS. I don't have a Cobb tuner, but from everything I've heard, its super easy. I've heard you can flash the tune in less than a minute. In comparison, the Ford Performance "Pro Calibration" I use, takes about 15 minutes to flash on a computer. Very problematic.

#6 ·
Hi
I just installed the following , do I need to tune my 2017 Ecoboost to setup all below equipment ?
-COBB air intake
-COBB Intercooler
-Ford body throttle 70mm
- Oil can
-I just order online a street exhaust MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
I got some difficulty to use my X4 tune , I am not very familiar with Microsoft . I order a COBB Tune can be use with Mac computer , it is more easy to use ?
thanks guy for your help
Patrick
I also have Cobb tune, intake & intercooler, and MBRP catback, and I agree with Gatornek, you should load the Cobb Stage 2 tune. It's not complicated, just plug it in and follow the instructions. It will make your gas pedal a lot more responsive.

Reactions: DRU842
#8 ·
How difficult was the Cobb Intercooler install? It looks like a two person job from the CJ Pony Parts video. I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost. I installed a Resonator Delete Y-Pipe (MRT Engineered Performance #90M100) and a Ford Performance by K&N Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (American Muscle #M-9601-M). Also added MagnaFlow 4”X9” oval (14” length) straight through mufflers. The Cobb Accessport V3 was an easy install. I used the Stage 1 93 octane setting. I'm considering the Cobb Intercooler upgrade but the install looks daunting. How did your Cobb Accessport install go?

#9 ·
Not difficult at all. I have removing my front bumper down to a science, which I can accomplish in less than an hour (albeit the FIRST time I did it, it took me about 2-3 hours...lol). On the 2018+ models it's 'supposedly' even easier (I have a 2016) because the most critical part was being careful that you didn't break the bumper tabs on each side that WERE extremely fragile on my model car. But apparently on the 2018's and above they redesigned them for better strength (I'm only reporting what I've read). Regardless, its as simple as removing the radiator cover (you'll need a plastic trim piece for the plastic push rivets), unscrewing the underneath belly pan, removing the plastic wheel well liner, unscrewing the front bumper support screws (that were hidden underneath the radiator cover), and then unscrewing the 7mm(?) bolts from the wheel well that hold the bumper in place on each side.

The only part that you would maybe need an extra person on, is for actually physically taking the bumper on and off, but again, its something I can do all by myself now.

The rest of it is simply undoing some clamps. The cobb IC is a stock location IC (I think), so its MUCH EASIER than trying to squeeze in than the racing IC, which you actually must remove the front bumper support for.

#10 ·
thanks guy for your help
Patrick
Yes, you can use the Cobb Accessport without any problems with a Mac computer.
That's what I use.
Cobb provide the software (Accessport Manager) for both Windows & Mac IOS.
That will allow you to download new versions of the OTS tunes and load them on to the Accesport, as well as update the firmware and upload datalogs.

#12 ·
The newer cars are much easier to work on than back in the day (1971 Plymouth RoadRunner).
Really!!!! You actually believe that? Everything takes twice as long to do on a new car compared to and old car.

I just replaced the upper & lower radiator hoses, the bypass hose and both heater hoses in an hour last weekend on my 68 Barracuda. It would take and hour to just get to the lower hose on my Ecoboost Mustang and this car has more room under the hood to work than any of the other cars that I have had that were newer than 2000.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

#15 ·
gatornek, I have a question regarding the Cobb Intercooler installation. Is the stock lower grill opening “insert” modified to flow more air? The insert restricts air flow so it seems counterproductive. I do not plan to reinstall the radiator shutters but the Cobb instructions and YouTube videos do not address the stock lower grill insert. Video appears to show the lower grill insert is an aftermarket piece. Also, what about the two hard plastic air deflectors on either side of the factory intercooler? I expect these are not retained as they will not fit? Thank you in advance.

#16 ·
By 'insert' I assume you mean your "lower grill"? If so, yes, you can remove that if you want. Many people do. Many people replace them with aftermarket lower grills that are more free flowing also. Here is my face. 👇

I also removed the shutters, and had to trim back the plastic pieces on each side, as you mention. But man, that Cobb IC must be huge. I thought it was 'stock location'. From what I know, you shouldn't have to do any of that for 'stock location' IC's, but I could very well be wrong with the 2018+ models and/or the Cobb IC.

But here is a pic of when I put my CPE racing IC in 👇

I left the top part of the shroud in, because it made for a better wedge fit for my snorkel.

Hope this helps. Can't promise that I'll be around to help you out as much as I'd like to, as I've been in and out all day long. But I will answer if I do happen to log in and see. Good luck!!

#19 ·
I'm sorry to say that I have not purchased the Cobb Intercooler yet. I am adding the Steeda subframe alignment kit and Rear Subframe Braces next week and the Intercooler at the end of September.

My Avatar is a photo of me with Gun #5 - "Bad News" Whiskey Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines - 1st Marine Division. We were at Khe Sanh in April - July 1968.
https://www.1stmardiv.marines.mil/Units/11TH-MARINE-REGT/1st-Battalion/

#20 ·
I'm sorry to say that I have not purchased the Cobb Intercooler yet. I am adding the Steeda subframe alignment kit and Rear Subframe Braces next week and the Intercooler at the end of September. My Avatar is a photo of me with Gun #5 - "Bad News" Whiskey Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines - 1st Marine Division. We were at Khe Sanh in April - July 1968.

#22 ·
Semper Fi, Devil Dog! I had a couple friends that were part of the Howitzer battery in 3/11 (I think) when I was at MOS school in 29 Palms. Always remember the dirty looks I got when I showed up at their barracks when Fridays were Service Charlie uniform only at schools, and of course, they were all in woodland cammies still! :LOL: Further to that, Vietnam vets have my UTMOST respect. Thank you and all your brothers for the sacrifices you made. #NeverForget

Feel free to hit me up at ANY TIME with ANY QUESTIONS. I also put in the alignment kit and subframe braces from Steeda. Have you considered adding in springs since your already dropping the rear subframe a bit? Dropping the subframe is, by far, the biggest pain in the @$$ out of any of the mods you can do.

#24 ·
Ready to pull the trigger and purchase the Cobb Intercooler. Guess what? Out of stock everywhere. Cobb says 3 to 4 weeks but said 3-7 days last week. Does anyone have a source at Cobb to check on availability of Cobb IC? Cobb refers me to the website.

#26 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and installed both the Cobb IC and MP Concepts upper and lower grilles on my 2018 Mustang EB. I ended up jacking the car on the pinch weld. Raised the front in two stages; jacking up one side then the other. Used the jack stands in stages also; first at the lowest setting then raised it by four teeth and that was sufficient to work under the front end. It was a long day but turned out great. Thanks for everyone’s help and input on this Mod. Next Mod will be are a set of Steeda Full-Length Low-Profile Chassis Jacking Rails and Steeda Ultralite 2-Point G-Trac Brace Ecoboost Automatic/GT500 (2018-2020).

#27 ·
Thats how I did mine. Kindda. Drove it straight up the ramps in the front drive and had plenty of room to install it. Took a few hours rolling around on my back in gale force winds but it was no real biggy to do. One thing I would strongly advise. Get a pro tune. Its day v night and to be honest I was concerned by the amount of ping I had on just stage one OTS. I no each car is different but it was enough for me to say na time for a pro tune.

#28 ·
The Cobb Intercooler install went well. I had previously installed a Resonator Delete Y-Pipe (MRT Engineered Performance #90M100) and a Ford Performance by K&N Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (American Muscle #M-9601-M). Also added MagnaFlow 4”X9” oval (14” length) straight through mufflers. The Cobb Accessport V3 Stage 1 (93 octane) was an easy install and once the IC was in, I changed the ECU Map to Stage 2 (93 octane). It seems to run great so far.

#29 ·
Please monitor corrections on cylinder 2 and 4. You should see only minor negative corrections if any at all im talking less the 1 degree if your hitting negative 3 or 4 degrees you need a tune. Ping should also be next to 0. But not unusual to see higher as it can be as simple as road noise or loose exhaust brackets and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.