Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i'm pretty much a noob here to the new turbo's and 4 cylinder engines and mods in general. So i was reading over the web that Cold Air Intakes are actually illegal in california because of smog and emission restrictions. Now, heres the thing, I'm going for the Airaid CAI or A JLT, i want to know if anyone has had any problems using CAIs in Cali or any issues with law enforcement in that matter. Any response would be great. Much thanks, this forum has been such a big help so far!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I'm a rookie too but I'll give you my two cents. The only problem you may have is when you have to smog the car. Without a CARB sticker you would have to go back to stock. I'm going to wait a few more months and see if they do make them CARB legal before I buy one. If they don't then I will just have to swap it back in a few years when I get it smogged.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm a rookie too but I'll give you my two cents. The only problem you may have is when you have to smog the car. Without a CARB sticker you would have to go back to stock. I'm going to wait a few more months and see if they do make them CARB legal before I buy one. If they don't then I will just have to swap it back in a few years when I get it smogged.
Yeah, our cars will not need a smog check for a few more years. But that's really the only issue huh? Just the smog check? Easy uninstall and install back when dealing with smog.? Sounds great, it might have been a stupid question to begin with but im new to this type of stuff and i appreciate the response Buzzman!

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as I know. I have a CAI on my Toyota truck and its CARB legal. Unfortunately we live in a state that is so over regulated it takes forever for common sense to filter through. Why wouldn't a CAI that helps you getter better mileage and reduces smog be legal. I envy the non-Californians that don't have to put up with some of the stupidity that we endure. But then again, it's the golden state. Lol.

·
Banned
746 Posts
This is why I'm waiting for the Ford Racing CAI....It's supposed to be 50 state legal. Yes, unfortunately us Californians can only have 10 rounds in their Mustangs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wow...what a great topic. First off, all of us with new cars won't even have to think about a smog check in California for SIX years! After that, we will. It just so happens that I met with the folks from Airaid at the SEMA show. I asked them why their intake wasn't CARB approved. What they told me was interesting. They told me that their design has already been submitted for approval, and is simply waiting for testing and certification. They also told me that this process could take a year, or more. So then I asked them, how will I know when my intake system is approved and how do I get an E.O. sticker? They told me to keep checking their website to find out. When the approval is granted, we can submit documentation to Airaid; who will, in turn, send us an E.O.sticker. Sooo...the future of cold air intakes looks good for us CA guys and gals!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So Moxman, does that mean if we buy a CAI now that we can get the CARB decal when they finally get approval? Or do you already have one on the dl? Lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
So Moxman, does that mean if we buy a CAI now that we can get the CARB decal when they finally get approval? Or do you already have one on the dl? Lol
Yup...that's exactly what I mean. According to Airaid, all of their designs are submitted for approval and eventually get certified.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup...that's exactly what I mean. According to Airaid, all of their designs are submitted for approval and eventually get certified.
Wow, great information, If those words came from airaid company then i guess i can move forward with the purchase of my first CAI! :) You guys are great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would really like to get the Ford CAI and tuner so I may wait until January. I do like the Airaid though so it will depend on how anxious I get. Who am I kidding, I'll probably get the Airaid soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
..how about FORD warraty?.....is it still good for FORD or are they going to deny warranty work because it is a mod?....I can't get that youg guy that blew his engine and FORD deny any replacement or help at all.....poor guy he is in deep dodo....I should expensive dodo...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Really happy with my air raid cai!! I think it looks the best under the hood and like it keeps the dirt and dust off my filter more then most other cai I have had on my other vehicles ..its,a little more quite. But still hear it .sounds good

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
..how about FORD warraty?.....is it still good for FORD or are they going to deny warranty work because it is a mod?....I can't get that youg guy that blew his engine and FORD deny any replacement or help at all.....poor guy he is in deep dodo....I should expensive dodo...
As far as i know, ford will just not cover the warranty for the stock intake box after you install an after market. But all in all, I think the "buzzman" might be going the right way. I would rather just wait for the ford tuner along with the CAI from them. This is way i avoid any problems with them. Dealers and Ford in general can be real damn strict with their warranty coverage. The guy from the other forum pretty much went all out with his first mods, ended up with no car now. Sucks hearing those situations.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Really happy with my air raid cai!! I think it looks the best under the hood and like it keeps the dirt and dust off my filter more then most other cai I have had on my other vehicles ..its,a little more quite. But still hear it .sounds good
I agree with you 100%! I took my car to a show on Saturday and lots of guys commented on the classy appearance of the Airaid intake. They all commented on the sealed top cover with the clear plastic plate, so the filter is still visible. It is also quieter that most, which if fine with me; and has the most even curve for horsepower and torque gains. A winner on all levels! Speaking of winners, my car won for best engine. I was a little shocked, because there were some really nice cars there. But...the Mishimoto polished coolant tank, charge pipes, intercooler, the UPR polished strut tower covers, radiator brackets and fluid caps must have made an impression? I also hand-polished the metal coolant pipe that runs from the front to the back of the motor, the top of the ABS module and the metal shield that covers the turbo. They look great polished!

First show...first trophy!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I agree with you 100%! I took my car to a show on Saturday and lots of guys commented on the classy appearance of the Airaid intake. They all commented on the sealed top cover with the clear plastic plate, so the filter is still visible. It is also quieter that most, which if fine with me; and has the most even curve for horsepower and torque gains. A winner on all levels! Speaking of winners, my car won for best engine. I was a little shocked, because there were some really nice cars there. But...the Mishimoto polished coolant tank, charge pipes, intercooler, the UPR polished strut tower covers, radiator brackets and fluid caps must have made an impression? I also hand-polished the metal coolant pipe that runs from the front to the back of the motor, the top of the ABS module and the metal shield that covers the turbo. They look great polished!

That's that's awesome man congratulations!! Love to see some pics of your work

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yeah, i too would love to see the dress up! :D if you dont mind ofcourse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, so i'm pretty much a noob here to the new turbo's and 4 cylinder engines and mods in general. So i was reading over the web that Cold Air Intakes are actually illegal in california because of smog and emission restrictions. Now, heres the thing, I'm going for the Airaid CAI or A JLT, i want to know if anyone has had any problems using CAIs in Cali or any issues with law enforcement in that matter. Any response would be great. Much thanks, this forum has been such a big help so far!
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but here goes anyway. If it's the sound of an cai your after, or you like the way it looks then by all means purchase one. Some years ago I experimented with 2 cold air systems on my wife's 09' 3.0 Fusion. I found that neither made more power than simply installing a high flow filter, and slightly modifying the stock air box. A closed box cai, is just slightly better than open boxes. The stock eco air box picks up cold air from a great source, why put a filter in the engine bay to suck up hot air? The stock box has two problems, a super restrictive filter and a built in noise surpressor.

·
Banned
746 Posts
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but here goes anyway. If it's the sound of an cai your after, or you like the way it looks then by all means purchase one. Some years ago I experimented with 2 cold air systems on my wife's 09' 3.0 Fusion. I found that neither made more power than simply installing a high flow filter, and slightly modifying the stock air box. A closed box cai, is just slightly better than open boxes. The stock eco air box picks up cold air from a great source, why put a filter in the engine bay to suck up hot air? The stock box has two problems, a super restrictive filter and a built in noise surpressor.
Hey Red...Your Roush didn't come with any intake or other engine modifications? So its basically a PP with exhaust, scoops and body mods. Oh..and it says Roush. I guess my point is that if you spend 25k or 40k on an Ecoboost Mustang, we all have the same 310 HP motor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts