Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I have a 2018 fastback that I bought new and it now has over 51,000 miles on it. I bought it new. Ford will allow me to purchase an extended warranty which will cover everything for another 75,000 miles (so I'll be at over 125,000 miles at expiration). The cost is $3868, which I can pay with no interest over 24 months. Since my current bumper-to-bumper has expired, it'll cost me $108 for an inspection. It's non-refundable, but will come out of the total price. If the inspection shows any issues (there shouldn't be any), I have 30 days to get them fixed before getting the warranty.

ANYway, for those of you that have a 2018 fastback and/or know of any issues with this car as it ages, would you recommend that I get this warranty, or is the car reliable enough that I can take my chances?

Any feedback/suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
680 Posts
I won't tell anyone what to do with their money, but I figure that I've saved enough by refusing every extended warranty ever offered to me for electronics, appliances, cars, etc..., to pay for everything that ever happened that would have been covered... many times over.

·
Registered
342 Posts
From my experience with this car, I'm glad I bought it with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Had the motor replaced a month after I bought it due to a common head gasket issue (52k miles, luckily under Ford warranty still), I still have brake fluid dripping in the car from a defective clutch master cylinder (which is also common, but neither Ford nor the aftermarket warranty will cover it since it's not technically powertrain...), just had the trans output shaft seal replaced through warranty at 62k miles because it started slinging fluid on my exhaust, had the common a/c evaporator replacement done when I bought it as well, etc.

If you can do a lot of your own work, not having a bumper-to-bumper warranty should be just fine. But if you're not mechanically inclined or plan to have shops do your repairs, I'd bet you can find an aftermarket bumper-to-bumper warranty for a fraction of what Ford wants. I wouldn't pay almost $4k, but I'd pay $1-2k. I'd at least want a powertrain warranty with the checkered history of these motors, but that's just me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn’t do it, however I do everything my self. My warranty is voided, but even if it was not, I would never use it anyways. For instance I have a rear pinion seal leak, and I would rather do it myself and learn, than bring it in for service. That’s just me tho, plus it’s a pain in the ass to get into a stealership for service IMO. I also can’t see there being close to $4000 in repairs you would need to get done, in 75k miles. Who knows tho. Maybe you should just put that money aside, in case you need to get some work done. You do what you want, I’m sure you just want to have that extra piece of mind, knowing your covered in case anything goes wrong in the future, which I totally get. However me myself would never do it. When I bought my mustang, they were begging me to get an extended warranty. I was like piss off, no way Jose LOL. I bought this car to modify, and they were still saying no problem. Pricks will say anything to get you to buy extra warranty’s ect LOL 😂 GL on your decision tho 🙂

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wanted to post a big thank you to those who weighed in on this. While having the warranty would give me peace of mind, I’ve decided to instead “pay myself” by setting the monthly payment aside and using it toward any repairs that may come up. Sure, I suppose something catastrophic could happen, that could happen after the end of the extended warranty too / and I’d be out twice. So, instead of essentially spending a definite $3000 and maybe never end up using it, I’ll set aside the money, have it if I need it, and will get to keep it if I don’t end up needing it.

Thanks again for helping me think through this.

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Administrator
6,614 Posts
Wanted to post a big thank you to those who weighed in on this. While having the warranty would give me peace of mind, I’ve decided to instead “pay myself” by setting the monthly payment aside and using it toward any repairs that may come up. Sure, I suppose something catastrophic could happen, that could happen after the end of the extended warranty too / and I’d be out twice. So, instead of essentially spending a definite $3000 and maybe never end up using it, I’ll set aside the money, have it if I need it, and will get to keep it if I don’t end up needing it.

Thanks again for helping me think through this.
I did the same and just bought my new shortblock with what I saved. Well done.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I purchased a Ford extended warranty for about CDN$2300 (taxes in) at the time of purchase. It takes me up to 7 years, 108K km and has a $100 deductible. I bought it for peace of mind over the top mechanism and the digital dash. If either of those crap out, I'm pretty sure it will pay for itself. I'm currently at about 32K km, and do not expect to run out of mileage on the warranty. To each his own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all - I have a 2018 fastback that I bought new and it now has over 51,000 miles on it. I bought it new. Ford will allow me to purchase an extended warranty which will cover everything for another 75,000 miles (so I'll be at over 125,000 miles at expiration). The cost is $3868, which I can pay with no interest over 24 months. Since my current bumper-to-bumper has expired, it'll cost me $108 for an inspection. It's non-refundable, but will come out of the total price. If the inspection shows any issues (there shouldn't be any), I have 30 days to get them fixed before getting the warranty.

ANYway, for those of you that have a 2018 fastback and/or know of any issues with this car as it ages, would you recommend that I get this warranty, or is the car reliable enough that I can take my chances?

Any feedback/suggestions welcome! Thanks!
I also have an '18 fast back EB, bought brand new with less that 20K on it. I have been contemplating extended warranty. The problem that I worry about is head gasket, block and cam. I'll stay tuned in to this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We tend to worry about every purchase maybe needing repair. But if you decline ALL extended warranties you will almost certainly come out ahead. I am 75 years old and have saved about $20,000 by declining these warranties. I have spent maybe $3,000 on repairs. Most expensive car repair was $900 to replace rear wheel hub on a Toyota Sienna van. I keep my cars 120-150K miles before selling and replacing with a low mileage used car. Just say no.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this thread is almost a year old but here is my take on extended warranties.

1. Extended warranties are like gambling in Las Vegas only here you are betting you are going to need the extended warranty and the manufacture (house) is betting you won't need it. Guess who wins this bet overwhelmingly, if you said the manufacture then winner winner chicken dinner.

2. If you are buying a car that has a known quality issue i.e. they are know to break down a lot, if for some reason you just have to have that car then and only then does an extended warranty make sense and pay off.

In the end the majority of people never use their extended warranty and they are huge profit centers for the dealers.

I remember when you could buy the best extended warranty for around $600 dollars, now they want thousands of dollars for the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a Ford extended warranty for about CDN$2300 (taxes in) at the time of purchase. It takes me up to 7 years, 108K km and has a $100 deductible. I bought it for peace of mind over the top mechanism and the digital dash. If either of those crap out, I'm pretty sure it will pay for itself. I'm currently at about 32K km, and do not expect to run out of mileage on the warranty. To each his own.
You blow a head gasket, you will be happy to have it. My dealer laughed at me when i said i want to get 200k out of my car because they said most likely with my track time I will blow the head gasket.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You blow a head gasket, you will be happy to have it. My dealer laughed at me when i said i want to get 200k out of my car because they said most likely with my track time I will blow the head gasket.
There is that too, which I became aware of following the purchase. There are, of course, any number of high cost repairs available to us as Mustang owners, and I'll be happy I had the warranty if any of them come up during its time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After I purchased my '17 EB 'vert, I purchased a 7 year/75000 "premium care" through Ziegler for around $2,400. I figure one or two repairs along the way will more than cover the cost. If I don't use it ... oh well!!

Ken

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
After I purchased my '17 EB 'vert, I purchased a 7 year/75000 "premium care" through Ziegler for around $2,400. I figure one or two repairs along the way will more than cover the cost. If I don't use it ... oh well!!

Ken
Same here. When I purchased my snowblower in 1999 (and still have it), friends poo-poo’d it. I told them if I never had to use it, it would be the best thousand dollars I ever spent. Of course, it has been well used over the past 23 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts