Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ecoboost Convertible
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

New to the site and really enjoy the posts/content. I have not been able to find any exhaust options for a 2018 Eco Convertible and hope the community can provide some recommendations. I am personally a fan of the Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust but have seen this will not fit the convertible model. Looking for that aggressive tone that our 4 cylinder beats can provide. Appreciate any suggestions!

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
55 Posts
If you have access to a good custom muffler shop. You may want to look into a custom set up. Depending on how much they charge you could try several configurations vs. a higher priced catback, and it would all be welded vs. clamped.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Look at the @Moxman exhaust. He had a convertible where he put in a Magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator. I believe he even made a video. Search the forum.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Look at the @Moxman exhaust. He had a convertible where he put in a Magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator. I believe he even made a video. Search the forum.
Thanks for the shout-out! There are many references to my exhaust system on this forum. There are also links to my You Tube video, showing how to build this exhaust system. I show the part number for the muffler I used and did a drive test, to show how it sounds (which is GREAT!). I did the video, so convertible owners (and coupe owners) could get a feel for what we did; and for muffler shops to see how to build the system I have. I'm still pretty sure that most aftermarket exhaust systems will NOT fit the convertible? The convertible has bracing in the rear, near the differential, that the piping has to be snaked through and the aftermarket systems are not bent to fit. Check it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2017 ecoboost convertible and i just installed the mbrp race catback. It has a little rattle but it can be done it even has directions what to do for the convertible bracing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 2015 convertible and I installed a Magnaflow Street Series Cat-Back Exhaust. It is a 2.5" system that sounds nice to me. Not too loud, and not a fart can sound. If not tightened or hung properly, you will get a rattle. Mostly when starting from a stop.

·
Banned
17 Posts
The 2 most common are the Flowmaster Race Outlaws and the MBRP catbacks. I have the Flowmasters for 2 reasons I think they sound better than the MBRP and they cost less! But the Borla and some others sound better but cost A "LOT" more. For the little bit of better sound I went for the lower cost Flowmasters, same quality just not as good of sound but for the price you can't beat the Flowmasters!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New to the site and really enjoy the posts/content. I have not been able to find any exhaust options for a 2018 Eco Convertible and hope the community can provide some recommendations. I am personally a fan of the Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust but have seen this will not fit the convertible model. Looking for that aggressive tone that our 4 cylinder beats can provide. Appreciate any suggestions!
I found a used Magnaflow street cat back on Craigslist. I scored it for $300 as a takeoff from a leased car. I installed it on my 2017 convertible and am pleased with the deep non-Honda sound. I think some of the popular systems would be too loud for me in a convertible. It took quite a bit or trail and error to get where it didn’t rattle against the bracing.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I found a used Magnaflow street cat back on Craigslist. I scored it for $300 as a takeoff from a leased car. I installed it on my 2017 convertible and am pleased with the deep non-Honda sound. I think some of the popular systems would be too loud for me in a convertible. It took quite a bit or trail and error to get where it didn’t rattle against the bracing.
I to had to heat it up and move my Flowmasters to keep it from touching the car and rattling also!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the shout-out! There are many references to my exhaust system on this forum. There are also links to my You Tube video, showing how to build this exhaust system. I show the part number for the muffler I used and did a drive test, to show how it sounds (which is GREAT!). I did the video, so convertible owners (and coupe owners) could get a feel for what we did; and for muffler shops to see how to build the system I have. I'm still pretty sure that most aftermarket exhaust systems will NOT fit the convertible? The convertible has bracing in the rear, near the differential, that the piping has to be snaked through and the aftermarket systems are not bent to fit. Check it out.
thank you Moxman! Can you shoot me your link to the video?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the link for the video of Moxman's exhaust. I plan on having this built once we are through this Pandemic.

wow great video and great sound! I may have to mimic this setup, extremely impressive.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
55 Posts
wow great video and great sound! I may have to mimic this setup, extremely impressive.
Fyi, while the @Moxman is a great setup. You were originally interested in the Borla ATAK which is extremely aggressive compared to the former IIRC. With the former you're going to get a deep tone and some rumble at at idle, but when you really get on it people will notice. My neighbor at the time immediately noticed the low speed rumble and commented on it. What you're not gonna get is much in the way of crackle and pop (I've gotten a pop out of it here and there), or over the top exhaust noise. Which seems to be what you were initially going for.

Mind you the @Moxman seems to typically cost around $500 to be fabricated with tips. Also, MagnaFlow makes a 14" inch version of essentially the same muffler which you could swap out for the 18". This would give you more noise, and is something I occasionally ponder, but always wind up deciding it is too much for me.

The 14" version below:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Fyi, while the @Moxman is a great setup. You were originally interested in the Borla ATAK which is extremely aggressive compared to the former IIRC. With the former you're going to get a deep tone and some rumble at at idle, but when you really get on it people will notice. My neighbor at the time immediately noticed the low speed rumble and commented on it. What you're not gonna get is much in the way of crackle and pop (I've gotten a pop out of it here and there), or over the top exhaust noise. Which seems to be what you were initially going for.

Mind you the @Moxman seems to typically cost around $500 to be fabricated with tips. Also, MagnaFlow makes a 14" inch version of essentially the same muffler which you could swap out for the 18". This would give you more noise, and is something I occasionally ponder, but always wind up deciding it is too much for me.

The 14" version below:
Interesting that you mention the shorter muffler. We've recently been offering that to our customers as an option to their exhaust system upgrade. I drove one, with the shorter muffler, and thought it was a bit too loud for my taste. But...the key word is taste. We're all different; but thanks for bringing up the options available for us.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
55 Posts
Interesting that you mention the shorter muffler. We've recently been offering that to our customers as an option to their exhaust system upgrade. I drove one, with the shorter muffler, and thought it was a bit too loud for my taste. But...the key word is taste. We're all different; but thanks for bringing up the options available for us.
Out of curiosity how much louder would you say it is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts