Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little backstory...

A few months ago I noticed that my 2017 Mustang EcoBoost Premium was making a racket upon cold starting. Felt like the whole car was shaking and it was definitely shaking the exhaust. I thought it was weird but chalked it up to weird one off situation. But then while I was driving to work I noticed it was considerably down on power.

I decided to call my local dealer at work and setup an appointment. After a 10 hour shift I got back in the car to go home and it started right up...with a check engine light. Told the dealer about the light when I dropped it off and it turned out to be a cylinder 4 misfire. They ended up replacing the cylinder 4 coil pack and spark plug. I went on my merry way...

Well last Wednesday it did the same thing, engine shook really bad and i got to work and made another appointment. As I was starting the car to go home, another check engine light. I made sure they knew i was experiencing the same issues as before and I guess they took a better look this time because I’m being told they found coolant in cylinders 3 & 4 this time.

As of right now, they are waiting on approval from Ford to disassemble the engine so they can take pictures and send it back. They also don’t know the extent of the issue, but they made sure to mention it could be a head gasket or a crack in the block.

My main question is around what to expect going forward. I’ve had the car since August of 2017 when I bought it brand new. It’s got less than 16k miles on it (only a 4 mile commute everyday), but I do have extensive audio upgrades in it (Infinity Kappa Perfect 600, LC7i, and Dual Kicker 12” Comp-R’s and all the amps to make it all work) that were installed by a MECP Advanced tech as well as some wheel spacers i added. I’m worried about “technicalities” keeping me from getting my car repaired. This is my first NEW car so I’m pretty nervous about that. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
None of the mods you have done to the car would prevent Ford from covering the engine. I think you will find that Ford will pull through for you no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2016 EB blew up under Ford CPO 100K mile warranty at 61K miles. I have mishimoto catch can, mishi intercooler, Ford Performance cold ait intake, Magna flow exhaust. On a Ford tune. 3rd cyclinder is the culprit 70% of the time. I got no explanation of what the problem was. They replaced my engine under warranty. It took 46 days. Ford wanted to do a short block repair, my dealer lobbied for and got a long block replacement. Better for them. Part of what took so long. With 16K on the car you should be under warranty. If the dealer takes the engine apart and finds metal pieces in the cylinder and damage, they can ask for a ford inspector to come take a look. My service manager laid this out for me first thing. If your service manager doesn't bring this up you might try another dealership. You want a long block replacement. Nothing good going on with your block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts