Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just saw and found out today there’s a crack on the passenger side of the front of my engine and can’t figure what part it is can anybody help me out? Greatly appreciated thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just took a look at mine and the area you pictured is part of the front cover (or timing cover). Judging by the tapped hole in the block behind it I'm assuming it is an unused boss used for mounting an accessory, maybe for another platform?? Looking at your pics it does look like it's got small cracks and the area has lost the ability to keep a seal. Without seeing it up close, those cracks might just be only surface imperfection but It does appear to have lost it's seal. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that’s what I was thinking but wasent to sure about it, it’s seemed to let oil out for sure I’d say a 4-5 area up and down and about 2-3 wide of oil marks on it. Where would I possibly be able to buy this part? And I’m trying to figure out if that was a factory problem? Do you think this would pull timing from not sealed causing power loss?

·
Super Moderator
3,560 Posts
yep, looks like cracks in the timing cover. It'll cause some oil loss and a bit of a mess, but shouldn't affect performance.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Shouldn’t that be covered under power train warranty, assuming the OP is still within mileage limits?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Shouldn’t that be covered under power train warranty, assuming the OP is still within mileage limits?
Since the powertrain is covered for 5/60 it is possibly covered. You have to realize these cars are getting.older now and many are out of warranty.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yup...that's a leaking timing cover. This is a known problem with this engine. The crack, however, is not a known problem. Your powertrain warranty should cover that, provided you still have warranty left?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also...the cover, should you need one, is not expensive, even if purchased from the dealer. To do this job, however, there are several special tools needed. One tool is to hold the cams in place and the other is to be able to remove and properly index the crankshaft pully, upon reassembly. Again...hopefully you still have powertrain warranty left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a full bumper to bumper warranty on the car but the problem is I did not see this before installing my acessport a few days ago and noticed after showing a friend under the hood, do you think they will void it because of the acessport? I don’t think that’s something that caused it but I’m not sure how’d that go with a dealer

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have a full bumper to bumper warranty on the car but the problem is I did not see this before installing my acessport a few days ago and noticed after showing a friend under the hood, do you think they will void it because of the acessport? I don’t think that’s something that caused it but I’m not sure how’d that go with a dealer
Just remove the accessport from the car, take it in. They will see the issue and may not even put it on computer for that issue since there is a TSB on the engine leak.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Reactions: MadKaw
1 - 13 of 13 Posts