Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Need some opinions from people that know:

These are winter tires from one of our company fleet SUVs. They were literally driven on for about 2 years without changing them out (so 365 days a year in Ontario, Canada). Do you believe the cracking of the treads in the photos make these tires unsafe to drive on? The cracking is pretty uniform all around the circumference of the tire on the outer tread. I suspect they're just cracking because of the firmer compound winters are made of and the drastic temperature changes these poor tires have had to endure. Unfortunately, this fleet vehicle is being passed to me for a quick road trip but I just want to be sure they're safe to drive on.

Thanks in advance!

20191203_150804.jpg

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I suspect they're just cracking because of the firmer compound winters are made of and the drastic temperature changes these poor tires have had to endure. Unfortunately, this fleet vehicle is being passed to me for a quick road trip but I just want to be sure they're safe to drive on.

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't drive anymore than around the block, certainly would not get on the highway.

FYI, winter tires are made of a rubber compound that stays soft and pliable in the cold weather, it allows them to conform to the road surface giving you improved traction on ice and snow.

Driving on winter tires in the summer the rubber compound gets even softer and tends to be torn up drastically reducing life expectancy.

Dave

·
Registered
512 Posts
+1 on the above. The only place I would drive those to (and slowly at that) is the nearest tire place to get them replaced. Those tires are proof positive why you shouldn't drive winter tires through the summer (although I see lots of them in parking lots here in Ontario).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I told our controller to authorize the replacement of all the tires. It's being taken care of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts