Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing a catch can does anyone know the size of hose needed and
what type it should be?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you using a cheap universal can that doesnt come with its own lines? A proper can't should come with the correct lines and connectors ready for install.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you using a cheap universal can that doesnt come with its own lines? A proper can't should come with the correct lines and connectors ready for install.
Yes this can does not come with any hoses. It should be quite straightforward to splice the existing hoses. Just need to know the size and type.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Watch Thread
  1. Kjewer1
    Kjewer1

First Name:KevinVehicle(s):2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle TalonJoined:May 30, 2015Location:MAPosts:161Likes Received:51
    0 0 0
    #1Kjewer1, Feb 26, 2016
    I thought I would share my catch can project for people that are interested in this sort of thing. There are kits that can be bought, but I had something else in mind for this car. These particular catch cans (JCS Fabrication) I've been using on DSMs for many years now, and I like to stick with what I already know works. I like these simple projects too, so it was a no brainer to pick one up for this car.

This is the VS3 can with small sight glass, and I got it with the interchangeable breather outlet (for open use) and coalescing filter (for closed system use). It's a multi-chambered design that has been proven to work very well for many years. I specified the inlet and outlet fittings I wanted to use. These are configurable when ordering to suit all kinds of projects. I use these on the race car, my street truck, etc.

Filtered outlet:

IMG_20160223_171305859_zpszxej4mrk.jpg

Open breather outlet:

IMG_20160223_171937067_zps4uiqkgp2.jpg

I had it shipped with no mounting bracket, so I could make something to fit the car. This is very simple, but effective. It hooks into a hole in the inner fender, and bolts to a threaded hole that was used by the factory airbox. It's very stable and isn't going anywhere.

IMG_20160225_141252545_zpsp7xiqujt.jpg

IMG_20160223_183249349_zpsvlkfx0dj.jpg

Using the same lines and fittings I used previously when I "temporarily" stole a similar but larger JCS catch can from the race car 6 months ago, it plugged right in. The PCV is gutted and modified. I believe I talked more about that in my engine build thread. The modifications to the PVC work well, I get very little oil in the can. 5% of the contents are oil, 95% are water and fuel.

IMG_20160225_141252545_zpsp7xiqujt.jpg

There is a second inlet that I have some ideas for. And I have plans to try the filtered outlet and pull a vacuum on it at idle and cruise, but still VTA under boost. That should keep some of the water and fuel out of the can, and restore the original PCV functionality most of the time. With the filtered outlet there is zero chance of any oil getting to the intake.

If I did it again I would move the sight glass to the "front" side of the can, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with the whole package.
    :)
    Kevin Jewer
    15 EB Mustang - 12.7 (tune only); 11.98 at 113
    92 Eagle Talon - 7.92 at 180
I copied this from Mustang6G, Kevin Jewer is the guy you need to ask over there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watch Thread
  1. Kjewer1
    Kjewer1

First Name:KevinVehicle(s):2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle TalonJoined:May 30, 2015Location:MAPosts:161Likes Received:51
    0 0 0
    #1Kjewer1, Feb 26, 2016

Kevin Jewer
I copied this from Mustang6G, Kevin Jewer is the guy you need to ask over there.
Looking at the factory pipe (see pic) the ends are pushed onto the connectors. So was going to just renew pipes using factory connectors. However I have since found the connectors hence wanting to know the pipe size before removing the factory unit.
819A72B6-A43C-4FFF-B48A-6D6DCF5AC7C7.jpeg

·
Registered
403 Posts
That hose is not exactly pushed onto those connectors.....it is a tight fit and then they are heated to shrink the plastic pipe around the connector for a tight seal, they can be a real PITA to get right, only reason I know this is we had to start repairing this type of piping because some are not available for some cars.
If you are already aware of this then ignore it! Not trying to offend. As to the size I do not know, other than measuring the inside diameter. I just went and looked at my JLT catchcan and it doesn’t say. Sorry.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watch Thread
  1. Kjewer1
    Kjewer1

0 0 0
    #1Kjewer1, Feb 26, 2016

Kevin Jewer
That hose is not exactly pushed onto those connectors.....it is a tight fit and then they are heated to shrink the plastic pipe around the connector for a tight seal, they can be a real PITA to get right, only reason I know this is we had to start repairing this type of piping because some are not available for some cars.
If you are already aware of this then ignore it! Not trying to offend. As to the size I do not know, other than measuring the inside diameter. I just went and looked at my JLT catchcan and it doesn’t say. Sorry.
I found it the push on connectors are 12mm or 1/2 inch. You can buy them separately with barbs very cheaply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts