Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I posted this in the Mustang Ecoboost subreddit, Crossposting here to get more visibility and input.)

I run OBD Fusion on my iphone and have been bouncing around trying to figure out the best combination of PID's to display to cover the following items. It's my intention to poll the community, get a list of valid workable PID's and distill it down to a single post that we can all use for active monitoring for the mustang Ecoboost. So with all that in mind: OBD Fusion users, What PID's are essential? I'd ultimately like to monitor:

OAR (Octane Adjust Rating)

Knock count ( is it necessary to monitor all cyl, or can we roll this up to an aggregate PID?)

IAT (intake Air Temp)

Charge Air Temp

Actual Boost (knowing the Ford gauge is not entirely accurate and has lag)

A/F Ratio

Low Side Fuel Pressure (guarding against the Low Side Fuel Pressure sensor failure that seems common, I know Adam from Tune Plus had a decent post about it some time ago, but I don't remember if it was a reddit or forum post on Mustangecoboost.net)

What am I missing, and what PID's should we be using to monitor the above? I'm looking for OBD Fusion specific, Since Im using my car as the testbed for these dashboards and usability & as I am not using a COBB or other device. Additionally, I am running the Ford Performance Tune with mild baseline mods (IC, BOV, Hi Flow Filter) so this can serve as Ultimately a guide I think would help us gather actual data and give us a "standard" set of PID's to monitor and gauge against.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
You could eliminate IAT (intake Air Temp) and A/F Ratio, since they are already available on the centre dash display.
That would free up screen space for other PIDs on the small iPhone screen.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GF, thats a good point. What I'm aiming to do is be able to display all of the readings across a single screen. I normally leave my center dash display on the boost gauge, but i know its laggy and not always 100% accurate, so suppose I could change that display and put the other readings on the dashboard. I could in theory move up to a Ipad mini or one of the Iphone Max models for a little more real estate, depending on how much screen area I'll actually need to make it readable.

Whats more important to me however is knowing exactly what PIDs I should be scanning to get the most accurate data, and thats where im struggling. Knowing all the points we need to monitor to have an exact idea of performance, Knock, OAR, Fuel Pressure, Boost Air temp, spark advance/retardation, etc. and their priority of importance.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Not sure how I missed this thread. I have a few thoughts, as I've been using OBDFusion for a few years now as my obd dashboard, datalogger, and code reader. All on my iphone.

To begin with, and I learned this actually not until very recently, its ALL ABOUT the quality of the 'dongle'. I cheaped at the beginning and got some generic adapter that used wi-fi. That cost me in usability on multiple fronts. First, if you're using an iphone and a dongle with a wifi adapter...iphone has adapted very strict protocols about an applications ability to use wifi in the background. What this would mean, is that if I ever had to shuffle the OBDFUsion to the back, so I can temporarily look at something else (like change music?), the dongle would usually disconnect. This might not be an issue if your an Android person, but if you use iphone...stick with BLUETOOTH! Second, the cheap adapter has hard limitations in the amount of data it can process at any given time, and also will either not see the full spectrum of available PID's (OBDFusion will automatically scan your car to see) or just wont' be able to load all of them in due to maybe memory or buffer limitations in the dongle hardware. So I actually was missing PID's before like Equivalence Ratio (AFR) or even Cyl 1 knock count (even though I had cyl 2, 3, and 4! lol). Previously (and I thought it was normal) it would take me about a FULL MINUTE just to connect to the dongle. It was annoying and it was a barrier to daily datalogging.

I did some research and finally shelled out for the OBDLINK MX+. It is one of the most expensive dongles, but my gosh...what a difference. The time intervals on my datalogs are in the fractions of a second now, and I am able to get a full 20 PID's logged, and another 10 or so to show on my dashboard. I had to keep it to about 10 before. Also, the app connects to the dongle in a matter of less than a handful of seconds.

Here is the list of datalogged PIDs:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Slope Circle
Font Line Screenshot Technology Terrestrial plant
Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Slope Screenshot

Font Rectangle Slope Screenshot Circle
Font Screenshot Technology Terrestrial plant Darkness
Font Slope Rectangle Technology Circle

Font Rectangle Slope Technology Circle
Font Technology Rectangle Screenshot Circle
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Circle

Font Screenshot Slope Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Here are some of the different ways the app can talk to the dongle and the PIDs that the app be able to read, as long as the dongle has visibility.

As you can see, there is still $50 worth of PID and/or diagnostics I could purchase, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Font Darkness Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number
Font Technology Multimedia Screenshot Computer
Font Screenshot Software Darkness Multimedia

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Gator, I am having the same problem you had previously with my veepeak adapter, looks like I'll splurge on the OBDlink MX one. I would be interested in the specific PIDs you show on your dashboards are, the descriptions arent searchable. I have noticed that the boost pressure is measured in a couple of different places and I'm looking to get exact numbers from the gauge, rather than the delayed readings from the dash boost digital gauge and the cumulative misfire count that you are showing on 2nd dashboard. I got into some bad 93 octane gas this weekend during a road trip to GA that tanked my OAR, from -1.00 to -0.73 and read several knock events across all 4 cyl but i just want to make sure that it all sorts itself out now that i have some solid sunoco 93 back in there. I also ordered new pre gapped plugs from Adam to replace the NGK's i put in earlier this year, just to be safe but i was very alarmed at how quickly my knock and OAR changed over a single tank of gas. I'll reset KAM with my Procal when i replace the plugs and see how it looks.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I am having the same problem you had previously with my veepeak adapter, looks like I'll splurge on the OBDlink MX one. I would be interested in the specific PIDs you show on your dashboards are, the descriptions arent searchable. I have noticed that the boost pressure is measured in a couple of different places and I'm looking to get exact numbers from the gauge, rather than the delayed readings from the dash boost digital gauge and the cumulative misfire count that you are showing on 2nd dashboard.
For sure. You will notice a difference in upgrading the adapter. Once you upgrade, make sure you have the $10 Ford Diagnostic add-on, make sure you select OBDLinkMX + as your device, and 'Automatic' as protocol. Then simply perform a rescan of your car, and you will see it accumulate a bunch more PIDs. After that, its simply about going into the "Ford PIDs" section in your logging settings, and I simply did searches for "misfire" and "knock" and selected just about everything that came up. However, I did have to edit some names to make them fit in the display square. Make sure you do all that and let me know if you're still running into issues with PIDs.

I'll reset KAM with my Procal when i replace the plugs and see how it looks.
What version of procal are you using? Could you send me screenshots on this? Last time I went to investigate on my procal (I did this in 2017, so its still running the ProCal 3 on an old Windows 8 laptop I've kept around), I could not find KAM reset. I did find "Reset all Adaptations" in Forscan, but couldn't get a clear answer on what exactly this did, so haven't wanted to risk it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to check what ver it is, they gave it to me when i got my tune, give me a day or so.

Reactions: gatornek
1 - 9 of 9 Posts