Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just announced last week that the catted version of their downpipe is finally available. I talked to @cvf-jason and today this box landed on my doorstep...

Big, bulky, but really well packed, with everything needed to make the swap happen.

The materials and welds look great.

And of course branded nicely.

Depending on the weather, I may actually get the chance to put this on this weekend! If not it'll be next year, with work and family events getting in the way. (Or if I get impatient, I'll pay a shop to do it, but I'm trying to avoid that.)

More write up here with photos and sound clips when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, not yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already made a couple of suggestions back to CVF on it, that will likely be in future versions of this pipe. The upper O2 sensor bung is a little close to the mounting flange bolt, and can cause clearance issues with tools. So, yes, I have "worked with it" a bit over the last couple of days, but am still running the stock pipe for the moment.
It'll be probably two weeks before I get a shot at full install.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
That thing is beautiful. Can't wait to hear (it) and how you like it.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Will you be getting a retune after you install it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've already made a couple of suggestions back to CVF on it, that will likely be in future versions of this pipe. The upper O2 sensor bung is a little close to the mounting flange bolt, and can cause clearance issues with tools. So, yes, I have "worked with it" a bit over the last couple of days, but am still running the stock pipe for the moment.
It'll be probably two weeks before I get a shot at full install.
Just to confirm, we absolutely take these suggestions from our customers into account and the design has been updated to apply this particular change in the future. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will you be getting a retune after you install it?
Yes. Once I have it in place, I will be doing a new data log and sending it in to Tune+ for any adjustments.

Reactions: ZStang

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful piece, curious how it will sound catted, I have heard uncatted and not a fan. I’m not sure what to do with my exhaust yet, I have a 2019 with active exhaust and I love the sound of it. Anybody have active exhaust and done this pipe?

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I finally did it, I installed the CVF catted downpipe today.

So far I really like it. Exhaust tone isn't changed very much, though volume is up a little. Take a listen to the clip:

I ran a sound meter in the car both before and after the install, and overall decibel level is a little higher on average. Before the down pipe I was averaging 65-75 decibels in highway driving. Now it's running from 65-80 decibels. Not really enough change to notice.

Of course as with any aftermarket part installation, I ran into a couple of issues, and I'll come clean, they're entirely on me. The Downpipe fit exactly as it is supposed to, it mated up perfectly to the turbo flange, all of the support points were exactly where they are supposed to be, and it perfectly clears the Steeda K-Brace under the car.

So.

Things to look out for:
1. on my first attempt at installation, I got the exhaust gasket pinched on one of the studs, so no matter how hard I cranked down on it the thing wouldn't seal. To fix this the second time around I used some red high temp RTV on the gasket to give it a little stick to the flange, so it didn't fall down and get in the way.
2. clearance on the exhaust bolts is tight. This is going to be the case, no matter whose pipe you go with, and using only hand tools means it's a slow install. On the turbo side I could not get my cordless impact in to use it. Underneath on the exhaust pipes having the cordless impact was awesome.
3. Be sure to get things tightened fully. Using hand tools you won't overtighten things, so give it a good go.
4. The stock flange and gasket is very different from what comes with the down pipe. I recommend getting some washers to use as shims so you don't have to crank the nuts all the way down to the flange.

Now for my final error...

yes, that's the stud. It's pulled out and stripped. I hand threaded the nuts on before tightening, and somehow still managed to foul the threads on the stud, causing it to catch. This then caused the stud to pull out. Why it's stripped like that, I have no clue. So now I have a "custom" exhaust, I threaded in a bolt and tightened it down to hold

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, and I haven't run the data logs yet. I plan on doing that later today, to see if more power will come from it when tune+ gets the data...

Reactions: ZStang and Bill_B

·
Registered
861 Posts
Let us know if there are any issues with CELs and how the performance feels after Adam gets done with the tune!

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let us know if there are any issues with CELs and how the performance feels after Adam gets done with the tune!
Absolutely.

No CEL off the bat driving it without changing the tune. I've been driving with the Access Port running since completing the install and watching things without any issues popping up. I still haven't sent Adam the necessary data logs to re-tune but will get there.

Driving it at the moment shows me that the exhaust noise has changed, so I'm still getting used to that. I've also noticed that I can hear the turbo spool much easier now than before. The stock cat takes out a lot of that sound.

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I finally got good data logs this afternoon and emailed them in to Tune+. I figure it will be a couple of days before they get back to me with the holiday, but that's OK.

·
Super Moderator
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the tune back from Adam for the downpipe and loaded it into the car this afternoon. It'll at least be a couple of days before I can get a good assessment of it, since it's 35 degrees and raining.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts