Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying domestic go fast parts at affordable prices has not really been an option for Mustang Ecoboost owners , CVFab intends to correct this by releasing a line of their own quality upgrade parts that give you the looks and performance of the big names for prices that won't hurt the bank account. Cheap parts are available from China but there is risk to buyer because the parts dont go through proper quality control and product returns involve costly shipping to return the product back to China. CVF offers verified, quality parts with full domestic support for you the consumer.

CFV gave me an opportunity to evaluate their new intercooler charge pipe kit.

The kit included two hard pipes with a wrinkle black finish, 4 black silicone pipe couplers and 8 wormgear hose clamps in a rectangular white branded box.

I was warned that the pipes would be pre production versions so the quality of the wrinkle black finish wouldn't be as nice as the final production units but the pieces I received looked quite nice.

The hard pipes are mandrel bent aluminum with rolled lips and precision tig welds on all fittings, the cold side pipe has a threaded bung that gives the user the option to install an auxiliary sensor or injector, the bung is blocked with an included threaded plug from the factory.

To prep the new parts for install I put the pipes and silicone couplers in the sink and gave them a good wash with some dish soap. The silicone couplers can have a light coating of release agent on the inside of the hose from the manufacturing process that could possibly interfere with getting good slip proof joint and rinsing out new intake pieces is generally a good idea to make sure you dont accidentally install a pipe with a bit of packing material hidden inside.

I put the car on some ramps in the driveway and removed the lower splash shield then pulled out the airbox to establish enough room to get at all the fittings, the factory pipes came out easily.

With the factory pipes out of the car I mocked up the new pipes beside them to get an idea of orientation and transferred over the blow off solenoid adding a dab of blue medium strength locktite on the Allen head retaining bolts.

The new pipes required some fiddling to establish the proper depth of the hard pipe in the silicone couplers, a small flat blade screw driver will help get the silicone couplers over the ends of the intercooler as the fit is tight, take some time to ensure the clamps are secured behind the rolled edge of the pipes and intercooler fittings or else you risk having a pipe blowing off at high boost.

Performance evaluation proved to be impossible due to my odb bluetooth adapter deciding to stop working rendering all my monitoring apps useless and temperatures sitting at icy 33f removed any chances of getting good traction, the car ran happily though during a rest drive to make sure the fittings were secure.

Overall, I am very happy with the pipes, they get rid of the ugly factory pipes, provide an easier path for charge air to travel, plastic and rubber is replaced with more reliable aluminum and silicone and my intercooler upgrade is now rounded out with a set of pipes to match.

Home | CVF - Premium Quality Fabricated Products Online
CV Fabrication

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
Nice review.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you for the review and great photos. CVF appears to be a strong competitor in Eco Boost performance products and that competition is in our financial favor. Now I have an "off- thread" question: Why do you use a crankcase vent on your oil fill tube?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I have an "off- thread" question: Why do you use a crankcase vent on your oil fill tube?
There is a one way check valve inside that releases pressure that the PCV system may not be able to handle during times like a cold start in -4f weather or when the engine is at 6000rpm and 23 pounds of boost.
After a round of hard driving you may find the dipstick popped up or new spot of oil on the edge of timing cover caused by excessive crankcase pressure.
The manufacturer claims some horsepower gain due to the reduction of crankcase pressure and its parasitic effects but that would never be felt under normal conditions, I use it more for looks and reliability.

CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit for 2015-2016 Mustang EcoBoost

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the car for a longer drive today and gave her a bit of a shakedown.

My odb bluetooth adapter is dead so I only have the dash gauges to go by.

My intake air temps while cruising were 8c/48f, ambient is 6c/42f, charge temps are unknown.

Mid range throttle response feels more aggressive than usual.
Induction noise sounds a little more throaty and aggressive
The sound the bov makes on release has changed, it is more abrupt now. With the plastic hose it made a bit if a high pitched fart noise, now that tight fart is gone
Peak boost is not shown on the digital display but I saw 23.6 for a split second in the real time readings, torque pro would show 23.4 for peak boost on the old pipes.
A quick 0 to 60 run on the track app yielded a 5.1 with the tires squealing off the start 1/4 mile times were a no go because of heavy traffic.

Car details
2017 base model
6R80 transmission with 3.15 rear diff.
18 inch wheels, stock all season Goodyears.

Review of my current mods

-Ford performance calibration kit which includes a tune and the high flow GT350 airbox and filter.
-Resonator delete with high flow dynomax 17733 mufflers.
-Stock Motorcraft plugs regapped to .028.
-Mishimoto clone intercooler.
-CFM crankcase breather with checkvalve.
-CVF intercooler pipe kit.
-94 octane Husky performance fuel.
-Quaker state ultimate durability 5w30 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Took the car for a longer drive today and gave her a bit of a shakedown.

My odb bluetooth adapter is dead so I only have the dash gauges to go by.

My intake air temps while cruising were 8c/48f, ambient is 6c/42f, charge temps are unknown.

Mid range throttle response feels more aggressive than usual.
Induction noise sounds a little more throaty and aggressive
The sound the bov makes on release has changed, it is more abrupt now. With the plastic hose it made a bit if a high pitched fart noise, now that tight fart is gone
Peak boost is not shown on the digital display but I saw 23.6 for a split second in the real time readings, torque pro would show 23.4 for peak boost on the old pipes.
A quick 0 to 60 run on the track app yielded a 5.1 with the tires squealing off the start 1/4 mile times were a no go because of heavy traffic.

Car details
2017 base model
6R80 transmission with 3.15 rear diff.
18 inch wheels, stock all season Goodyears.

Review of my current mods

-Ford performance calibration kit which includes a tune and the high flow GT350 airbox and filter.
-Resonator delete with high flow dynomax 17733 mufflers.
-Stock Motorcraft plugs regapped to .028.
-Mishimoto clone intercooler.
-CFM crankcase breather with checkvalve.
-CVF intercooler pipe kit.
-94 octane Husky performance fuel.
-Quaker state ultimate durability 5w30 synthetic oil.

+1 no more tight fart. Gonna let the engineers know they're changin' lives over here :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quick question about the cold side charge pipe. Does it matter which way it goes on? I flipped it back and forth, but seems like it's designed, so the meth port ends up in same place regardless. However, figured i would ask anyways, because i always second guess the way i installed mine LOL 🤓

·
Registered
306 Posts
I struggled trying to figure out which end was supposed to be up. The pipe is not completely symmetrical, but close enough that it's just not obvious which end they intended to go where. And worse yet, it "fits" either way. It sure would be nice if they'd mark it somehow or stamp some sort of indicator on one end.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quick question about the cold side charge pipe. Does it matter which way it goes on? I flipped it back and forth, but seems like it's designed, so the meth port ends up in same place regardless. However, figured i would ask anyways, because i always second guess the way i installed mine LOL 🤓
You want the NPT bung in the middle of the pipe facing in towards the engine bay.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The pictures show worm clamps, but the website says T-bolt clamps, can you verify what type of clamps this kit comes with? Do these still fit using your CVF Throttle Body spacer? Looks like a great price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The original kit had worm gear clamps, but we changed to t-bolt after compiling customer feedback - that's what's in the kit at the moment.

Fits fine with the TB spacer as well - feel free to give me a shout via PM if you've got questions!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just installed cvfab race innercooler. Wss excited to go for a drive just to find out i have loss of power /no boost.. redone charge pipes yesterday and vacuum/boost guage got to 0. Before it was 19 to 10 range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts