Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Long time lurker first time posting. I have a 2018 Ecoboost with the following mods. K&n intake, CVF race Inter cooler, MBRP catless downpipe, y pipe and tuned with tune plus.
About a week ago I turned on my car and it’s started right up but the exhaust was definitely sputtering until the car warmed up. It threw the cylinder 4 misfires code along with the code for Misfire at startup. I drove it a bit and it drove fine. Turned it on again later and it started as regular.
I swapped my 4 cylinder spark plug with the 1 and still threw that code the next day. Now this issue is not throwing me the code every time and regular starts are more common than the sputtering ones.
I live in Miami so plenty of shady garages here and I am out of warranty due to miles. The one shop I did find doesn’t have an opening till 2 weeks. Any one have any suggestions? I highly doubt it’s a head gasket issue since I see no milky oil, no smoke from the back only regular morning smoke and no knocks. I must add that on the CobbAP I have the gauge for misfires and most of the times it doesn’t go over 10. One time on a start I did see 45. It’s very inconsistent. Any input would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Doesn’t seem to be tune related as it’s been running with a tune for a few months already
Anymore with these computers and stuff its hard to tell. I use to work on cars but I'm so lost these days. My car is also in the garage and I've not driven it in 2 months. Changed my innercooler and now has no boost . There is a grear fb group id recommended also posting in . Or get in touch with parker performance they are really great guys .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anymore with these computers and stuff its hard to tell. I use to work on cars but I'm so lost these days. My car is also in the garage and I've not driven it in 2 months. Changed my innercooler and now has no boost . There is a grear fb group id recommended also posting in . Or get in touch with parker performance they are really great guys . View attachment 37486
I’ll take a look at messaging Parker Performance. It’s just a really weird situation with it being so random. It even idles just fine. No leaks or smoke or milky oil. I’m thinking maybe carbon build up in the valves?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Hello everyone. Long time lurker first time posting. I have a 2018 Ecoboost with the following mods. K&n intake, CVF race Inter cooler, MBRP catless downpipe, y pipe and tuned with tune plus.
About a week ago I turned on my car and it’s started right up but the exhaust was definitely sputtering until the car warmed up. It threw the cylinder 4 misfires code along with the code for Misfire at startup. I drove it a bit and it drove fine. Turned it on again later and it started as regular.
I swapped my 4 cylinder spark plug with the 1 and still threw that code the next day. Now this issue is not throwing me the code every time and regular starts are more common than the sputtering ones.
I live in Miami so plenty of shady garages here and I am out of warranty due to miles. The one shop I did find doesn’t have an opening till 2 weeks. Any one have any suggestions? I highly doubt it’s a head gasket issue since I see no milky oil, no smoke from the back only regular morning smoke and no knocks. I must add that on the CobbAP I have the gauge for misfires and most of the times it doesn’t go over 10. One time on a start I did see 45. It’s very inconsistent. Any input would be highly appreciated.
Im in Miami also. Does your AC automatically start up when you start the car? If so, try to make sure the AC is off, and see if the problem may curtail a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im in Miami also. Does your AC automatically start up when you start the car? If so, try to make sure the AC is off, and see if the problem may curtail a bit.
Since I have a convertible I typically have my ac off. But I usually turn on my car via remote so the ac does turn on when I do that. I’ll set the remote start to not turn on and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Since I have a convertible I typically have my ac off. But I usually turn on my car via remote so the ac does turn on when I do that. I’ll set the remote start to not turn on and see if that does anything.
I've always monitored my car via datalogs and tools since I've just about owned it. My car came with the 4" SYNC1 screen/radio, so it didn't have climate control. I also NEVER noted a misfire during that period. When I upgraded my dash to the 10" SYNC3 radio, the vendor who helped me do it, set the climate control for full AC when I remote start. Ever since then, I've noted a handful of misfires when I remote start the car, get inside, and hook up my tool. But its only during that startup period. A "misfire" as the Ford ECU sees it, is not a COMPLETE misfire of the combustion event on a particular cylinder. Its basically that the combustion was not as FULL & CLEAN, and didn't generate the expected torque it thought it should have. I chalked it up to a cold start on a car, and trying to run the AC, full blast, at the same moment. Give it a try and see if it cleans it up a bit.
Blog : Misfires and the Ecoboost, when should you worry? : Stratified Automotive Controls

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always monitored my car via datalogs and tools since I've just about owned it. My car came with the 4" SYNC1 screen/radio, so it didn't have climate control. I also NEVER noted a misfire during that period. When I upgraded my dash to the 10" SYNC3 radio, the vendor who helped me do it, set the climate control for full AC when I remote start. Ever since then, I've noted a handful of misfires when I remote start the car, get inside, and hook up my tool. But its only during that startup period. A "misfire" as the Ford ECU sees it, is not a COMPLETE misfire of the combustion event on a particular cylinder. Its basically that the combustion was not as FULL & CLEAN, and didn't generate the expected torque it thought it should have. I chalked it up to a cold start on a car, and trying to run the AC, full blast, at the same moment. Give it a try and see if it cleans it up a bit.
Blog : Misfires and the Ecoboost, when should you worry? : Stratified Automotive Controls
Definitely will be trying that. The only time it worries me and shows signs of something wrong is in the cold starts where it would stutter for about ten seconds until the engine warms and then it’s all good from there. Again it’s random and it would only happen during cold starts. I hope turning off the ac would resolve something

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you live in Miami what mechanic do you use? I’m new to Miami as I lived on Broward and had a mechanic up there but now it’s too far for me to going to sunrise from homestead

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Definitely will be trying that. The only time it worries me and shows signs of something wrong is in the cold starts where it would stutter for about ten seconds until the engine warms and then it’s all good from there. Again it’s random and it would only happen during cold starts. I hope turning off the ac would resolve something
Check that out first, see if it cleans that up some, and if you are still experiencing "stuttering", I would let your tuner know. Make sure to tell them that you live in a raging inferno during the summer. I think this car struggles a bit to idle, when its sucking in disgustingly hot and humid air. But that's just a supposition of mine. He might be able to clean up the idle on the tune.

Since you live in Miami what mechanic do you use? I’m new to Miami as I lived on Broward and had a mechanic up there but now it’s too far for me to going to sunrise from homestead
I've never really had to take the car in for 'mechanic' work, per say. I can recommend you a garage that I've outsourced some modification installs to, when it was a bit too cumbersome to do it myself at the DIY garage. I've done most of the preventive maintenance myself (spark plugs, coolant flush, brake change). If you're car is still under warranty, I took mine to Kendall Ford for the AC condenser issue. If you are looking for 'modification work', I can recommend Elite Auto Repair, also in Kendall. I mean, I'm sure they can do 'mechanic' work also, but I can't vouch for certain that they understand the intricacies of this engine. They put in my catback and did some suspension work where the subframe had to be dropped (which is a bit of a pain).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check that out first, see if it cleans that up some, and if you are still experiencing "stuttering", I would let your tuner know. Make sure to tell them that you live in a raging inferno during the summer. I think this car struggles a bit to idle, when its sucking in disgustingly hot and humid air. But that's just a supposition of mine. He might be able to clean up the idle on the tune.

I've never really had to take the car in for 'mechanic' work, per say. I can recommend you a garage that I've outsourced some modification installs to, when it was a bit too cumbersome to do it myself at the DIY garage. I've done most of the preventive maintenance myself (spark plugs, coolant flush, brake change). If you're car is still under warranty, I took mine to Kendall Ford for the AC condenser issue. If you are looking for 'modification work', I can recommend Elite Auto Repair, also in Kendall. I mean, I'm sure they can do 'mechanic' work also, but I can't vouch for certain that they understand the intricacies of this engine. They put in my catback and did some suspension work where the subframe had to be dropped (which is a bit of a pain).
I spoke with Adam from tune plus and he said that it wouldn’t be a tune issue. At idle car the car seems fine. I only hear the stuttering from the exhaust on the cold start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So I tried the ac off on start and starting the engine without the key and it was good until today in the morning where the exhaust stuttered. I am really hoping it is not a blown head gasket but I just dont see the symptoms of one either.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
So I tried the ac off on start and starting the engine without the key and it was good until today in the morning where the exhaust stuttered. I am really hoping it is not a blown head gasket but I just dont see the symptoms of one either.
Some good checks for head gasket issues would be: your coolant level in your reservoir slowly diminishing, constant white smoke out the tailpipe (some on startup is normal), and you can also pull your plugs and check them. Could you possibly post a video of the stutter? To do so, you're going to probably have to host it on youtube and link it. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good checks for head gasket issues would be: your coolant level in your reservoir slowly diminishing, constant white smoke out the tailpipe (some on startup is normal), and you can also pull your plugs and check them. Could you possibly post a video of the stutter? To do so, you're going to probably have to host it on youtube and link it. Good luck.
my reservoir has stayed where is has been only lowering as usual. I dont see any bubbling either as other s have reported when they have a blown gasket. white smoke is present during startup but apart from the usual there is none at idle or when accelerating. I pulled my plugs and the 4th was a little burn but not covered in oil or cracked and still gapped. I will be posting the video tonight when i get home so you can take a look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
As you see on the cold start it stutters for a bit then it just goes into normal cold start idle.
I see what you're saying. That's a bit more 'stuttery' than a normal cold start. A couple of more questions for you: Do you have an aftermarket downpipe? If so, is it catted? When you pulled the plugs, did you check the gap on them? How many miles have you used these particular sparkplugs for? Is the "misfire" ALWAYS in cylinder 4? And lastly, WHEN did it start doing this?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts