Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L
I extracted spark plug and pulled down the borescope. Don't understand what's this circle down there. One surface is kind of wet and dirty, don't know why. Could anyone share knowledge, please.
Thanks!

Automotive tire Fluid Wheel Gas Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
The first pic idk its weird. Hard to tell if that is a crack or a hard build up of something white. Are you having issues?

The wet resembles the blow by fluid that is being collected in the catch can on tuned cars. But just a guess.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi guys,
I have 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L
I extracted spark plug and pulled down the borescope. Don't understand what's this circle down there. One surface is kind of wet and dirty, don't know why. Could anyone share knowledge, please.
Thanks!

View attachment 40898
I'd be extra cautious about the two tone one with the line across the middle. Can't say that I've seen that before!?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first pic idk its weird. Hard to tell if that is a crack or a hard build up of something white. Are you having issues?

The wet resembles the blow by fluid that is being collected in the catch can on tuned cars. But just a guess.
Hi Strokercrate,
Well, my issue is cold idle is kind of rough. I feel bad sitting in a 2009 Camry and not feeling any vibrations at all.
Also trying to take care of the car. I got it recently "certified from a dealership". So just trying to see where the car needs attention.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm having trouble getting oriented in these photos; that first photo is really confusing. Can you tells us exactly what we're looking at? Are these only the piston tops, or are we also seeing the cylinder walls?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having trouble getting oriented in these photos; that first photo is really confusing. Can you tells us exactly what we're looking at? Are these only the piston tops, or are we also seeing the cylinder walls?
Hi MWSletten,
Yeah, we can see both: piston tops and cylinder walls. Imagine pulling down a camera through spark plug hole.

I actually went for diagnostics. They told me that it's coolant leaking into the cylinder. Thats basically why we can see this crack. I just hope the damage is not so big, since coolant is not a good lubricant. I put couple kilos miles on it. Dealership pre-certification is disappointing. Hope my extended warranty will cover repairs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, we can see both: piston tops and cylinder walls.
Ok, your tech beat me to it. Those cylinder walls look pretty gnarly; I fear your engine is going to need a lot of TLC to get back to normal. It would be helpful if your shop can provide some ideas on why you got coolant in your cylinders (blown head gasket?). Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi MWSletten,
Yeah, we can see both: piston tops and cylinder walls. Imagine pulling down a camera through spark plug hole.

I actually went for diagnostics. They told me that it's coolant leaking into the cylinder. Thats basically why we can see this crack. I just hope the damage is not so big, since coolant is not a good lubricant. I put couple kilos miles on it. Dealership pre-certification is disappointing. Hope my extended warranty will cover repairs.
Have you pulled your intake off from the side of your motor and looked at the back side of your valves?
I removed my intake yesterday, and found 3 dry chambers and 1 wet chamber (chamber #4).
Is your piston in question, located in cylinder #4...?
Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Have you pulled your intake off from the side of your motor and looked at the back side of your valves?
I removed my intake yesterday, and found 3 dry chambers and 1 wet chamber (chamber #4).
Thanks!
Examples:
Cylinders 1,2,3) dry/light carbon
Astronomical object Sky Gas Circle Electric blue

Cylinder 4) wet/oily
Tints and shades Astronomical object Electric blue Pattern Font

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!
It's cylinder 3. Yeah, I did take off intake manifold too. Wanted to check my valves for carbon deposits. The valves look fine to me for now. I didn't recognize anything unusual.
Water Liquid Window Automotive tire Asphalt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, your tech beat me to it. Those cylinder walls look pretty gnarly; I fear your engine is going to need a lot of TLC to get back to normal. It would be helpful if your shop can provide some ideas on why you got coolant in your cylinders (blown head gasket?). Please keep us posted.
Yeah, that's what mechanic told me looking at my pictures first thing. He said, someone was running low on coolant, and that cuzed blown head gasket. I will keep you posted, hope we all get to know something new out of it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hope your plugs are fine, aka not oily or anything.
Was just wondering, since you have one piston different than the other three, if you might be picking up contamination from outside the cylinder.
Mine seems to be coming (or going to) the motor mount vacuum pump!??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use a Vividia VA-400; it's a bit more expensive, but it articulates to allow inspection of the valves. Here a pic of an exhaust valve from a previous inspection.

View attachment 40967
When did you get it? I don't think I want to invest in equipment much, since electric cars push hard with all the incentive from the government. Fuel is just no cheap anymore.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When did you get it? I don't think I want to invest in equipment much, since electric cars push hard with all the incentive from the government. Fuel is just no cheap anymore.
I've had it for a few years. I use it mainly to maintain the experimental aircraft I built. The pic is actually the exhaust valve for a Continental IO-550N engine.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I use a Vividia VA-400; it's a bit more expensive, but it articulates to allow inspection of the valves. Here a pic of an exhaust valve from a previous inspection.

View attachment 40967
Granted, what your showing me here is excellent quality....is it truly worth that much more money?? That's not really "a bit", as most of those cheapo ebay cameras go for about $50 bucks or so. This is $300. Is this quality heads and tails above what I would get with those cameras? @antonsolo looks fairly decent, but @Coyote Chaser quality does not look that great

1 - 20 of 25 Posts