Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a VanTrue N2 Pro(https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-Infrared-1920x1080P-2560x1440P/dp/B0742J69SQ) dashcam as it was on sale..
That being said, I can't get the damn thing to work with my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang, the "auxiliary power unit" or cigarette lighter in both the center console and..the other place which I can't think of the name for.

Plugging in the adapter and the camera powers OFF the cigarette lighters- which I'm assuming means it's trying to draw far too much power.
The cigarette lighter powers back on when the dashcam is unplugged.

Help?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Well, it can't be the accessory power fuse being blown if you say that the power sockets, still supplies power when you unplug the dashcam adaptor?

Reading the specs of your particular dashcam, I noticed that the power adaptor is suitable for both 12 volt and 24 volt vehicle voltage systems.
Are you sure there is no setting on the adaptor (or micro switch) that selects 24 volt or 12 volt application?
You may have it set to 24 volts instead of the required 12 volts... Worth checking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it can't be the accessory power fuse being blown if you say that the power sockets, still supplies power when you unplug the dashcam adaptor?

Reading the specs of your particular dashcam, I noticed that the power adaptor is suitable for both 12 volt and 24 volt vehicle voltage systems.
Are you sure there is no setting on the adaptor (or micro switch) that selects 24 volt or 12 volt application?
You may have it set to 24 volts instead of the required 12 volts... Worth checking.
I'll have to see if there's some switch for that- I don't believe there to be though.
This has been a real pain in my ass lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
have you tried it in a different car?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I doubt it's the power draw. I downloaded the owner's manual PDF, and it doesn't specify much:

USB Port: USB2.0 (mini)
Battery: 250mAh 3.7V Polymer Li-ion battery

But, Why would these specs draw any more power than a smartphone? Especially those with any form of quick charge?

Is it possible the shape of the adapter is somehow shorting the cigarette lighter port? Or a defect with the adapter?

It seems you could use another power adapter as long as it provides a mini USB port? You could get one of these (+cable):
Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger with 24W Output, Aluminum Alloy Flush Fit & 4.8A Dual USB Ports for iPhone Xs/Max/XR/X, iPad Air/Pro, Samsung Galaxy Note8 and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it's the power draw. I downloaded the owner's manual PDF, and it doesn't specify much:

USB Port: USB2.0 (mini)
Battery: 250mAh 3.7V Polymer Li-ion battery

But, Why would these specs draw any more power than a smartphone? Especially those with any form of quick charge?

Is it possible the shape of the adapter is somehow shorting the cigarette lighter port? Or a defect with the adapter?

It seems you could use another power adapter as long as it provides a mini USB port? You could get one of these (+cable):
Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger with 24W Output, Aluminum Alloy Flush Fit & 4.8A Dual USB Ports for iPhone Xs/Max/XR/X, iPad Air/Pro, Samsung Galaxy Note8 and More: Cell Phones & Accessories
So I already went and purchased a different adapter- similar to that- and it still is doing the same thing

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would test the camera somewhere else outside of the car, like a wall charger.

And after that, I would test some other device in the car, like charging your phone.

Come back with the results of both tests.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Maybe the fault lies within the dashcam itself... Since you have tried another adaptor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sounds like a ground loop and/or faulty product.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Was there any resolution for this issue. The Vantrue is actually one of the cameras I am considering for our cars.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As for someone who has spent a considerable amount of time researching dash-cams, features and installations, I can say I think you are going about this the wrong way.

According to the info on the amazon site, this camera has a parking mode feature:
24 Hours Parking Mode & Auto LCD OFF】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to automatically record when it detects motion in front of your car. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won't be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function automatically takes photos at specified intervals.
IMO, I would abandon using the cig-adapter and go with a two or three wire install to take full functionality of the continuous recording (when car is running) and parking mode when the vehicle is off.

Amazon.com: Vantrue 10ft Mini USB 12V-24V to 5V Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Mini/ACS/ATO/Micro2 Add a Circuit Fuse Holders, Low Voltage Protection for Mini USB Dash Cams, GPS Navigator, Radar Detectors: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you look in my build thread you will see how I have my Thinkware F800 Pro D hardwired for both continuous and parking mode:
https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/paul-gs-2016-eb-prem-pony-pack-build-thread.18869/#post-200935

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was there any resolution for this issue. The Vantrue is actually one of the cameras I am considering for our cars.
Yes!
Sorry for not updating, I ended up charging it completely at home and using a different cig port adapter and it's been working fantastic since- no issues and no complaints

1 - 13 of 13 Posts