Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just joined. i have a 2016 mustang ecoboost swapped 1992 fox body dirt track oval race car. the donor car had 20k on it. i have 6 wins to date using the stock tune. i used the ford performance controls pack kit, quick time bellhousing and T5 transmission. i fabricated solid motor mounts and used the ford performance coyote swap power steering bracket modified to fit the AC bracket mount holes on the ecoboost block to use a hydraulic power steering pump.

i'm using all the OEM plumbing except i have an aftermarket 3" catless downpipe into a 4" core diesel muffler. i also had to replace the OEM airbox for clearance and added a 4" cone style air filter. the OEM intercooler wouldn't fit so i'm using a treadstone tr8c intercooler. i'm running sabre chem 100 octane unleaded racing fuel and a pedal commander to help with throttle delay.

i've been racing a long time but the ecoboost engine is new to me. i'm still learning it's characteristics and adjusting the car to handle the additional weight vs. a 2.3 SOHC. yes, an aluminum/plastic ecoboost engine is 100lbs. heavier than an all cast iron old school 2.3 SOHC even with the balancer assembly removed. i liked the engine so much that i bought a velocity blue 2019 mustang ecoboost as a daily driver.

i'm still working on keeping it from getting too hot when the track is heavy. as far as i know, this is the first ever mini stock to be ecoboost powered.
20190427_093602.jpg
20180801_175449.jpg

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
That is very cool! Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
I am interested in details. I want to eco-boost swap a '83 GT-Turbo Fox.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm having trouble editing for a grammar error. says my post contains spam or something...

i also used an air to oil cooler which is a must on any turbocharged engine. IMO, ford should've put one on from the factory. plus, these engines have extremely high oil pressure which puts more heat in the oil.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20180715_112309.jpg
20180727_122731.jpg
I am interested in details. I want to eco-boost swap a '83 GT-Turbo Fox.
it's a little overwhelming at first but like anything you just have to start solving the issues one at a time. physically, the firewall needs modification to clear the primary fuel pump on the back of the head. motor mounts need to be custom fabricated. mine are solid. since i used a t5 trans, i used a urethane trans mount in the OEM crossmember. i used the trans mount to figure out the engine mounts. i mated the engine/trans with a quick time bellhousing and set it in the chassis(after cutting a portion of the firewall out) on a piece of 1/2" plywood resting on top of the rack. i fabricated solid motor mounts out of 3/16" plate. once they were in, i removed the plywood and have 1/2" of clearance between the oil pan and the rack. you can use the OEM flywheel and pressure plate but not the 23 spline clutch disc. i used a 79-85 mustang 5.0 clutch disc. it's 10 spline and fits perfectly in the recess on the ecoboost flywheel. i opted for a fidanza aluminum flywheel for less rotating weight and i also removed the OEM balance shaft assembly inside the oil pan. the transmission pilot bearing has to be machined from a v8 solid bronze bushing. a little has to be cut from the OD to fit inside the flywheel. the transmission input shaft doesn't pilot off the crankshaft. the pilot bushing presses into the flywheel instead. the depth of the quick time bellhousing allows for this. i used a new tremec z-spec trans but you can use any fox body v8 t5. since my swap is a barebones racecar, it's easier but it has been done in street fox body cars too.

i eliminated the troublesome PCV system and run a hose from the engine baffle through a catch can and then to an exhaust powered crankcase evac. the crankcase is sealed except for the evac hose. any gases leaving the crankcase exit through the exhaust.

i'm racing tonight so i don't have time to go into all the details but this is a start...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That’s a hell of a swap!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'm still learning it's characteristics and adjusting the car to handle the additional weight vs. a 2.3 SOHC. yes, an aluminum/plastic ecoboost engine is 100lbs. heavier than an all cast iron old school 2.3 SOHC even with the balancer assembly removed.
I am huge collector of data, and this observation doesn't really surprise me, but could you share how you tested that number, and if possible could I get precise weights of each engine? The data on old 2.3L Lima's is a little hit and miss when it comes to details.

Thanks can that is a very cool use of the powerplant!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am huge collector of data, and this observation doesn't really surprise me, but could you share how you tested that number, and if possible could I get precise weights of each engine? The data on old 2.3L Lima's is a little hit and miss when it comes to details.

Thanks can that is a very cool use of the powerplant!
i cannot give you exact numbers of each engine. we scale the entire car with 4 scales. one under each wheel. however, i can tell you that with the cast iron SOHC the car weighed 2360lbs with me in it, full of fuel and 200lbs of lead added to the rear for balance. our minimum is 2300lbs after the race. with the ecoboost engine the car is 2600lbs. i added another 90lbs to the rear to compensate for the added engine weight. some of the extra weight is due to the fact that the T5 trans is heavier than the RAD4 it replaced and the steel quicktime bellhousing is also heavier than the OEM cast aluminum one. i did remove the ecoboost gear driven balancer assembly in the oil pan, which is about 12lbs and replaced the 31lb OEM flywheel with a fidanza 13lb flywheel. plus, i added a steel power steering pump bracket and cast iron pump in place of the AC compressor. the 100lb difference is a rough guess based on all of these details. also, the SOHC engine i replaced has some lightweight stuff on it.....all lightweight esslinger pulleys, billet aluminum water pump and a 12lb clutch/flywheel assembly. the aftermarket intercooler and oil cooler is also responsible for a few extra lbs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is a great set of data points, and I completely understand the method, thank you for following up in detail.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20180115_101751.jpg
i'm posting this here to help a new forum user with his swap. i couldn't put a picture in a conversation. 6623boosted, ignore the smaller bronze bushing pictured at the bottom on top of the box. it was for another project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow this build is awesome. any vids of you racing it or the car running?
there's always someone live streaming the races on facebook. it's from creek county speedway. maybe you can do a search. i don't have a facebook account. stranglehold racing productions is one and kevin kerry mcsperitt is another.

·
Registered
134 Posts
there's always someone live streaming the races on facebook. it's from creek county speedway. maybe you can do a search. i don't have a facebook account. stranglehold racing productions is one and kevin kerry mcsperitt is another.
Is that the Kellyville track? I need to get out there and catch a race. I haven't been out there in years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome build! Thank you for posting info and photos.
We are putting an Ecoboost into a MGB with T5.
You mentioned you used a 79-93 Mustang Clutch Friction disc, which are usually 10.5" in diameter. (We also put 5.0's into MGB's)
The 2.3 Ecoboost friction disc is 9 7/8" and the flywheel space for the disc is 10".
Is the Fidanza flywheel space wider? Would you happen to have the friction disc part number that you used?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome build! Thank you for posting info and photos.
We are putting an Ecoboost into a MGB with T5.
You mentioned you used a 79-93 Mustang Clutch Friction disc, which are usually 10.5" in diameter. (We also put 5.0's into MGB's)
The 2.3 Ecoboost friction disc is 9 7/8" and the flywheel space for the disc is 10".
Is the Fidanza flywheel space wider? Would you happen to have the friction disc part number that you used?
Thank you in advance.
use a disc for a 1979-1985 mustang. it's 10"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts