·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not safe at all... But, it puts me into the mid 12s. On straight 93 octane, my personal best is 13.01 and on a mix of 91 pump gas and E85, also from the pump, my personal best is 12.61 (and that was with an undersized aftermarket Intercooler). This time, I'll be mixing X85 from VP racing fuel and 93 octane pump gas. This event will be about collecting data and championship points (plus bringing it all home in one piece!).
OK, now I have never set foot on a race track as a competitor and I have zero ability to take a car apart and put it back together so I wouldn't state that I have remotely the same knowledge that you have, but I wanted to ask about the E30 you are running.

What's the risk? From my research any car can run E15, so we know we can go that far. I've also read from multiple sources that our cars specifically can run E30 without issue. This is my understanding - the old standard of ethanol being corrosive and damaging the fuel system etc is supposedly hogwash. Ethanol is not corrosive at all, in and of itself. It does however attract a large amount of water and the water can cause corrosion and damage. Methanol is the alcohol fuel that is by itself corrosive. The other issue is that high ethanol content could make the car run lean, but my understanding is that up to E30, the fuel system, fuel pump and injectors can supply enough fuel for the car to run correctly. If it couldn't, there would be increase knock due to the heat build up due to lean conditions but if no knock is sensed, and if head temps are normal, there isn't an issue. In fact E30 should run cooler and present less issue for knock due to the cooling effect of the higher ethanol content.

As you might have guessed by this point, I tried E30 in my car, lol. As above, I saw no issues with knock, temps, AFR or anything at all. In fact, I had less random knock events and only one miniscule timing correction and less timing corrections overall, although I normally have very few. I will hypothesize that since I run a custom 93 tune, the ECU likely can enrich the mix more than might be typical with a stock tune and that may be part of why there were no issues, but on the other hand, I saw no lower AFR than I typically have, but did notice lower cylinder head temps which to me would indicate that the fuel indeed has a cooling effect.

In any case, here's some research saying E30 should be safe and I'd like to hear your thoughts on why it's not safe as I'm always trying to learn and get a broader perspective and your direct contacts with the tuner world and data from racing are invaluable. Thanks as aalways!

Study: E30 Use Safe for Gasoline Vehicles
Investigating the effect of E30 fuel on long term vehicle performance, adaptability and economic feasibility

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Finished my 93 octane pump gas tune! Now I'm getting ready to start with the E85 tune, and will be doing some testing next week at the Summit Dragway!!
Font Material property Screenshot Number Circle

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK, now I have never set foot on a race track as a competitor and I have zero ability to take a car apart and put it back together so I wouldn't state that I have remotely the same knowledge that you have, but I wanted to ask about the E30 you are running.

What's the risk? From my research any car can run E15, so we know we can go that far. I've also read from multiple sources that our cars specifically can run E30 without issue. This is my understanding - the old standard of ethanol being corrosive and damaging the fuel system etc is supposedly hogwash. Ethanol is not corrosive at all, in and of itself. It does however attract a large amount of water and the water can cause corrosion and damage. Methanol is the alcohol fuel that is by itself corrosive. The other issue is that high ethanol content could make the car run lean, but my understanding is that up to E30, the fuel system, fuel pump and injectors can supply enough fuel for the car to run correctly. If it couldn't, there would be increase knock due to the heat build up due to lean conditions but if no knock is sensed, and if head temps are normal, there isn't an issue. In fact E30 should run cooler and present less issue for knock due to the cooling effect of the higher ethanol content.

As you might have guessed by this point, I tried E30 in my car, lol. As above, I saw no issues with knock, temps, AFR or anything at all. In fact, I had less random knock events and only one miniscule timing correction and less timing corrections overall, although I normally have very few. I will hypothesize that since I run a custom 93 tune, the ECU likely can enrich the mix more than might be typical with a stock tune and that may be part of why there were no issues, but on the other hand, I saw no lower AFR than I typically have, but did notice lower cylinder head temps which to me would indicate that the fuel indeed has a cooling effect.

In any case, here's some research saying E30 should be safe and I'd like to hear your thoughts on why it's not safe as I'm always trying to learn and get a broader perspective and your direct contacts with the tuner world and data from racing are invaluable. Thanks as aalways!

Study: E30 Use Safe for Gasoline Vehicles
Investigating the effect of E30 fuel on long term vehicle performance, adaptability and economic feasibility
It has been recommended to me, that I should run 100% gasoline in every 10th tank of fuel. I assume, this is to flush out the contamination from ethanol (especially flex fuel).

Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Finished my 93 octane pump gas tune! Now I'm getting ready to start with the E85 tune, and will be doing some testing next week at the Summit Dragway!!
View attachment 42511
Broke my personal best 1/4 mile ET record (by .072 seconds, which calculates to about 4 HP) while running flex fuel, which only tested as E65 (or 95 octane). Hoping to do better with true E85 and additional tuning. My goal is 415+/- Calculated Horsepower with a 11.99 second ET.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Broke my personal best 1/4 mile ET record (by .072 seconds) while running flex fuel, which only tested as E65 (or 95 octane). Hoping to do better with true E85 and additional tuning.
Chin Hairstyle Muscle Musician Fashion

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Updating my air dams and 3x3x4 dual air intake in preparation for new Perceson Turbocharger. Nothing pretty or high tech, but to quote a votech instructor "Air is lazy and will take the path of least resistance". So, I'm directing it to where it is most beneficial. According to a wind tunnel report on the S550, the bottom grill has the highest air pressure and the top grill, 2nd highest.
Asphalt Building Mode of transport Urban design City

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Grille Radiator

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Black Vehicle Automotive air manifold
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

Reactions: gatornek

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Rear Seat delete near completion...
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Rear Seat delete near completion... View attachment 43042
Nice job!

FWIW, one of @WatchMyEco 's secrets was essentially turning his car into an aluminum can with a drivers seat. I'm pretty sure he even deleted the passenger seat, and ALL trimming. Anything that wasn't necessary. Might seem drastic, but as far as I know he built one of the fastest straight away Eco's recorded.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Nice job!

FWIW, one of @WatchMyEco 's secrets was essentially turning his car into an aluminum can with a drivers seat. I'm pretty sure he even deleted the passenger seat, and ALL trimming. Anything that wasn't necessary. Might seem drastic, but as far as I know he built one of the fastest straight away Eco's recorded.
It all adds up! Earlier this season, I lost to a Coyote by .0014 seconds, and at my power to weight ratio, that calculates to around 140 lbs. So, weight reduction is just as important as increasing HP.
However, in the NMRA class I run in, I'm required to weigh in at a minimum weight and retain the stock dash, carpet, console and I think door panels. The only seat required is the driver seat. Which is all I plan on leaving, in the future!??
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Cameras & optics

Unpackaged my eBay NOS Turbocharger. Searching for a spacer with an access port for an exhaust back pressure gauge, to install between the cylinder head and turbine flange.

Reactions: MD18EcoStang
41 - 53 of 53 Posts