Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 with Cobb intake, Cobb intercooler, mbrp down pipe and high flow cat with full exhaust. Do I NEED to run a tune with these bolt on’s. Iv had bad experience with custom tunes before and don’t want to blow another motor. But also don’t want to blow a motor cause I didn’t put a tune on it. I’m not looking for power and to have the fastest car. I installed the parts cause I heard the intercooler was weak and intake and pipes just so the car has good air flow. Would really appreciate your guys 2 cents and if I should tune it or not. Again it’s not for speed, it’s more for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
977 Posts
Changing the intercooler and the exhaust will most likely void the warranty although they do have to prove that the modifications actually caused the fault and it can be as simple as

"The engine blew/part failed because it operated outside its factory perimeters and exceeded its factory limits because of the uprated none Ford approved FMIC and exhaust"

To get the best out of the mods I would get a tune. However it is not required. I recommend Ryan at PD tuning if you do.

Reactions: MattSin97

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I understand your warranty concerns and all, but with the level of bolt-ons you now have, it would seem a waste not to also add a tune to get the most from them.
If you don't want to go a Pro-tune (though highly recommended), the Cobb OTS Stage 3 tune would suit your mods.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello everyone
If your looking for a safe tune, consider the Ford Performance tune it’s not the most aggressive tune however it will add a good performance gain. I have a 2019 with these modes. CPE intercooler, Mishimoto charge pipes, airaid pipe from factory intake to turbo, Cobb cat back exhaust, 7lib turbo smart waste gate actuator, Mishimoto oil cooler and Ford tune with K&N air filter that came with tune. No cel lights car runs great has a nice gain in power.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a 2019 with Cobb intake, Cobb intercooler, mbrp down pipe and high flow cat with full exhaust. Do I NEED to run a tune with these bolt on’s. Iv had bad experience with custom tunes before and don’t want to blow another motor. But also don’t want to blow a motor cause I didn’t put a tune on it. I’m not looking for power and to have the fastest car. I installed the parts cause I heard the intercooler was weak and intake and pipes just so the car has good air flow. Would really appreciate your guys 2 cents and if I should tune it or not. Again it’s not for speed, it’s more for warranty purposes.
Each part should come with recommendations from the manufacturer on whether or not a tune is required. If the parts are direct replacement parts they should not require a tune or void a warranty. I just added a cp-e intercooler, charge pipes and mbrp race cat-back and the wastegate failed but Ford extended warranty is covering the repair because there is no connection between the mods I have and the failed wastegate. I have a cvf catted DP and Bama rev-x with 2 tunes but those are not installed yet. Had I flashed the ECU and changed the DP Ford may have denied the warranty and maybe the would have honored it, I don't know. The service advisor commented about Ford denying claims on modified engines after seeing my polished charge pipes. They asked who installed the parts and what parts were installed. I explained that the parts were installed by a certified mechanic at my local shop and they were direct replacement parts not "race" parts.

I will eventually be running all bolt-ons without the Bama tune for a while since I still have an extended warranty for another year. Once I flash the ECU I will most likely need to pay for a new engine if a failure occurs while under warranty. It will be interesting to see how this plays out since I have been bone stock for 5 years and now I am starting to add mods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changing the intercooler and the exhaust will most likely void the warranty although they do have to prove that the modifications actually caused the fault and it can be as simple as

"The engine blew/part failed because it operated outside its factory perimeters and exceeded its factory limits because of the uprated none Ford approved FMIC and exhaust"

To get the best out of the mods I would get a tune. However it is not required. I recommend Ryan at PD tuning if you do.
MSO I have a tuner already and Ryan did my previous tune on my motor that blew so very scared to tune it again. It’s running great now with no tune on it. I put the stage 3 Cobb tune on it just to see what it felt like and it deff added some power but if Ford sees I put a tune on it again and blow the engine I’m not getting a 2nd motor that’s for sure lol. I really lucked out on the first motor....I’m really worried about the motor running to lean with the mods I have done but hear the ecu can handle it. I’m swapping out the low fuel pressure sensor today because that could have been the fault of the first motor. According to Ryan I had 0 knocks on the last tune he sent me so no idea how the motor blew but had 3 nice size holes in the bottom of the block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each part should come with recommendations from the manufacturer on whether or not a tune is required. If the parts are direct replacement parts they should not require a tune or void a warranty. I just added a cp-e intercooler, charge pipes and mbrp race cat-back and the wastegate failed but Ford extended warranty is covering the repair because there is no connection between the mods I have and the failed wastegate. I have a cvf catted DP and Bama rev-x with 2 tunes but those are not installed yet. Had I flashed the ECU and changed the DP Ford may have denied the warranty and maybe the would have honored it, I don't know. The service advisor commented about Ford denying claims on modified engines after seeing my polished charge pipes. They asked who installed the parts and what parts were installed. I explained that the parts were installed by a certified mechanic at my local shop and they were direct replacement parts not "race" parts.

I will eventually be running all bolt-ons without the Bama tune for a while since I still have an extended warranty for another year. Once I flash the ECU I will most likely need to pay for a new engine if a failure occurs while under warranty. It will be interesting to see how this plays out since I have been bone stock for 5 years and now I am starting to add mods.
On your exhaust did you have the turbo down pipe or just cat back? I have the high flow catted down pipe and race exhaust and keep throwing a p0420 code. Do you have the same code?

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
977 Posts
MSO I have a tuner already and Ryan did my previous tune on my motor that blew so very scared to tune it again. It’s running great now with no tune on it. I put the stage 3 Cobb tune on it just to see what it felt like and it deff added some power but if Ford sees I put a tune on it again and blow the engine I’m not getting a 2nd motor that’s for sure lol. I really lucked out on the first motor....I’m really worried about the motor running to lean with the mods I have done but hear the ecu can handle it. I’m swapping out the low fuel pressure sensor today because that could have been the fault of the first motor. According to Ryan I had 0 knocks on the last tune he sent me so no idea how the motor blew but had 3 nice size holes in the bottom of the block.
Sorry to hear about you experience

So you have put the stage 3 OTS tune on but have reflashed back to stock?

Hate to tell you this but Ford can still see you have done this as soon as they plug it in.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
233 Posts
I'm so, so, so damn close to picking up an Accessport and start testing the waters with the OTS stage 2 91 octane, eventually working with a pro-tuner:unsure:. I too have some real concerns with LSPI & ecoboom along with throwing caution to the wind with the powertrain portion of my extended warranty.

Actually just shot a local dealer an inquiry on possibly trading mine for a 2011 GT manual with a super low 23k miles. Then immediately started thinking about the money spent thus far and how much would be thrown away trading for little more than a deep exhaust tone and of course, no warranty....on any part of the damn car:rolleyes:

Back to the start of my post. The more and more I think about it, why not go with a tuner? If the worst case happens, I can pick up a 2.0L (closed-deck or semi-closed deck?) beefed up short block for a few grand and for a couple more G's labor to get it finished. Sure it'll suck major balls, but I'll have a much stronger bottom end and pretty much everything ready for a safe, reliable 400hp.
Replacing a windowed block with the standard 2.3L "Achilles heel" doesn't make sense if it's always going to be creeping around the corner, waiting to happen again. Right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On your exhaust did you have the turbo down pipe or just cat back? I have the high flow catted down pipe and race exhaust and keep throwing a p0420 code. Do you have the same code?
Sorry insole the car and haven’t been on here in while. But I had full race cat down pipe to the full mbrp race series. But never any code problems. My dad had that same code with his intake. When he routed it back in it would throw a 0420 and take take it out and he is fine. It’s crazy how demanding that Lil motor was. If I could do it all again I woke run the big turbo for sure. Once you do everything else you can feel it holding you back. I finally asked Ryan at PD a novel idea want a soft tune for driving to work and must say the car ran the best like that. The power band was like a Honda, super linear think he got 415 tq and 380 hp at 25 lbs of boost. Hope that helps. I’ll log back in in ages days and see if you have any questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts