Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2K left on my warranty. I have a 2018 PP. For the past few months I was feeling something different. I assumed my tires were nearing the end of their life as I heard that the performance of the PZeros Summer tires decreases significantly near the end of its life. I knew I was getting close to the end but I think I could have squeezed out another 3-5K out of them. I bought Nitto NT555 G2s and was disappointed with the performance versus the Pirellis. The car still doesn't feel right. I had dropped the car off at Ford to address a rusting issue and asked if they would check the suspension and they told me unless you can see physical damage I would have to pay the $195 labor rate to have a tech evaluate it. I'm a bit bummed that I had to pay for an evaluation. In previous experiences if I brought in a car for service under warranty and had a question, they usually looked into it. For close to $200 I can just replace them. So how do you test for shocks? I feel more body roll than I am comfortable with. I am just afraid to shell out the $200 and then they tell me that its within specs and now putting shocks is going to cost me even 0more. After installing the new tires I had the wheels aligned and the tech said he didn't see anything unusual and didn't feel anything wrong on the test drive. He thought if I felt something, then perhaps I should shell out the $200.

I just installed Boomba Racing vertical links and I love the improved ride but still feel that body roll.

If I go ahead and buy shocks, what do you recommend. I have no intent of lowering my springs. I did have my eye on the Steeda Pro Action Shocks and would really be interested in the adjustable versions, but that is some extra cash I really don't have lying around.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I would have to pay the $195 labor rate to have a tech evaluate it.
So how do you test for shocks?
A few things here. First, $195 for an hour of work is ridiculous. Plain & simple. Someone tells me that, my next question is which Medical school did they attend. Second, I would ask them myself, what exactly is the test they are going to do. Because as far as I know...and granted I am by no means a super knowledgeable car nerd, is to open your door, stand on the sill, and jump up and down on each side. Squeaking and jounce-iness is bad. Lastly, replacing your shocks will cost you more than $200. A lot more, if they go by that ridiculous rate. Its a bit of time intensive process, and don't forget you will have to get an alignment afterwards.

If you are concerned about the "body roll", I'm really not so sure how shock replacement is going to help that. Mitigating body roll is the job of the sway bar. I just installed adjustable Eibach endlinks on my Stang. You can tighten the sway bar up with them, and thus reduce body roll. I'm a total mechanic noob, and I did not find installing the endlinks that hard. But quite possibly you just need some new bushings, as they are usually the first thing to go.

Hope this helps.

TᕼE ᗷᒪᗩK ᑎITE Oᖴ ᗪᗩ' 305

1 - 2 of 2 Posts