Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if you're like me, you think you can do all of the mechanical work on your car yourself, LOL! I recently replaced my intercooler myself, patted myself on the back that it went so well, although longer time than most, but I am nearing 73. I checked everything over yesterday after reading a couple of posts about the push pins in the fender wells and I found that I had two missing from each side! Wow, I was shocked, my first thought was that at least I didn't lose an inner fender well. Today I went to Ford to get replacements and found out why we get it wrong, there are six push/pull pins in each fender well, and for whatever reason, Ford decided that there should be four different sizes and part numbers for the pins, even the ones in a GT are a different part number than those in the ecoboost believe it or not. I bought all of the part numbers they had in stock, noting from the parts book where each was supposed to go. When it came to actually installing them I found that the parts book was wrong on two of them so I used my calipers to check the hole size and then used it to check the new pins to be sure I was putting the correct sized assembly in each hole. Luckily I got them right and I feel comfortable that I won't lose an inner fender at 100mph and ruin it. So just a note to all, be sure to mark the spot that you remove each push pin from so that you put that exact one goes back where it came from, even the parts people couldn't believe the differences in these push pins! If you use the wrong one in the wrong hole the wind at speed will push the fenderwell hard enough to push the pin out and eventually you will destroy the inner fender well when it starts contacting the tire!! I learned the easy way the way I figure it, or the lucky way! In either case, be careful. And thanks to those you who helped me with the intercooler change.

·
Read Only
246 Posts
Still, this is very good info and might save some time and pain to others. I am close to replacing the IC so this is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Well, if you're like me, you think you can do all of the mechanical work on your car yourself, LOL! I recently replaced my intercooler myself, patted myself on the back that it went so well, although longer time than most, but I am nearing 73. I checked everything over yesterday after reading a couple of posts about the push pins in the fender wells and I found that I had two missing from each side! Wow, I was shocked, my first thought was that at least I didn't lose an inner fender well. Today I went to Ford to get replacements and found out why we get it wrong, there are six push/pull pins in each fender well, and for whatever reason, Ford decided that there should be four different sizes and part numbers for the pins, even the ones in a GT are a different part number than those in the ecoboost believe it or not. I bought all of the part numbers they had in stock, noting from the parts book where each was supposed to go. When it came to actually installing them I found that the parts book was wrong on two of them so I used my calipers to check the hole size and then used it to check the new pins to be sure I was putting the correct sized assembly in each hole. Luckily I got them right and I feel comfortable that I won't lose an inner fender at 100mph and ruin it. So just a note to all, be sure to mark the spot that you remove each push pin from so that you put that exact one goes back where it came from, even the parts people couldn't believe the differences in these push pins! If you use the wrong one in the wrong hole the wind at speed will push the fenderwell hard enough to push the pin out and eventually you will destroy the inner fender well when it starts contacting the tire!! I learned the easy way the way I figure it, or the lucky way! In either case, be careful. And thanks to those you who helped me with the intercooler change.
I've actually run into this issue recently since I have probably removed my splash shield and fender shields about 3 or 4 times in the past couple of months. Anyway, I thought I had some spare clips that I bought, but they didn't end up working. It's fairly secure. But I'd like for it to have all the clips buttoned up.

If anyone can point me to the correct fender shield clips, I'd be much obliged. I'm good with the splash shield. Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
This kind of thing makes you wonder what they were thinking when they designed the thing. I mean, why wouldn't they all be the same size? I guess it goes hand in hand with the fact that there are two different sized fasteners for the four hold downs on the engine cover.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I haven't had a fender liner blow out at high speed, but I learned the hard way that a fat raccoon can destroy it in a split second.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
You can buy that entire set for what a few pieces will cost at Advance, O'Reilly's, etc.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought two of each size fits one fender well and it cost me $11.00. The problem is that I marked each bag with an item number and where it went they are E-4, E-6, and E-8, but of course, the book was wrong!! But I had enough from an old package of multi sizes I bought a few years back for my Prius and was able to find enough to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought two of each size fits one fender well and it cost me $11.00. The problem is that I marked each bag with an item number and where it went they are E-4, E-6, and E-8, but of course, the book was wrong!! But I had enough from an old package of multi sizes I bought a few years back for my Prius and was able to find enough to fit perfectly.
So now you have a hybrid Mustang!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd buy a hybrid ecoboost, that would be really novel!! Add 100hp of electric power to it and it'd be a jet, my Prius actually ran really good

·
Registered
367 Posts
We drove a Highlander Hybrid back in '06 when we were shopping. That thing was a rocket. Could've actually bought it for a smidge under sticker. Bought the 300C instead. I suspect the Highlander would have needed batteries in the 13 years we had the Chrysler.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just guessed by appearance (and description) and bought different bags of clips on eBay. Some of them matched, some didn't, but they were all pretty cheap.

Now I have hundreds of clips. I usually give away to friends at car meets.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I messed up the install on a set of Ford Performance M-16826-MA 2015-2019 Mustang Hood Struts on my 2018 Mustang EB. I had a problem with the passenger side lower bracket since I had to remove and reinstall a second time since the battery cover had to be trimmed twice. I mangled the hole where the oblong plate goes into the fender. I plan to remove the inner fender shield and get access to the lower strut bolt from below. Once I remove the oblong plate, I can use two flat washers and two lock washers with a hex nut to better fasten the bracket to the fender. Regarding the plastic rivets: part # W718365S300 ($2.50 each) fits the plastic cowl panel grille; part # W717823S300 ($2.50 each) is the large “push to release” rivet that fits the inner fender shield and part # W713610S300 ($3.00 each) is the longer rivet that fits the splash pan. I should have just bought the assortment from Amazon and been done with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts