Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this week I noticed a coolant leak. Coolant was visibly leaking, so I took it in to ford. They claim the issue was a "degas bottle leaking". I'm out of warranty and they quoted me $450 for repairs. I looked up the part number and it's literally a coolant tank. Is that what they consider the "degas bottle". If that's the case I can buy a coolant tank and replace it myself. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So this week I noticed a coolant leak. Coolant was visibly leaking, so I took it in to ford. They claim the issue was a "degas bottle leaking". I'm out of warranty and they quoted me $450 for repairs. I looked up the part number and it's literally a coolant tank. Is that what they consider the "degas bottle". If that's the case I can buy a coolant tank and replace it myself. What are your thoughts?
It's easy enough to replace. I did mine in lesss then 2 hours. Basic hand tools should get the job done. The Mishimoto one has a sight tube to help check coolent level in the tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's easy enough to replace. I did mine in lesss then 2 hours. Basic hand tools should get the job done. The Mishimoto one has a sight tube to help check coolent level in the tank.
But I just want to make sure it's just a coolant tank. I've never heard the term degas bottle before. So are they basically saying the coolant tank is leaking?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
But I just want to make sure it's just a coolant tank. I've never heard the term degas bottle before. So are they basically saying the coolant tank is leaking?
Well... You'd have to keep an eye on the tank and see if coolent is leaking from it. Check periodically and see if the level keeps getting lower.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... You'd have to keep an eye on the tank and see if coolent is leaking from it. Check periodically and see if the level keeps getting lower.
It's already been inspected by ford. They did a pressure test and determined that the "degas bottle" is the source of the leak. Coolant has been gradually leaking the entire past week. I just couldn't determine where from.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have the Mishi coolant tank too. Easy install, and it's been working fine for a couple of years now, no leaks.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have the Mishi coolant tank too. Easy install, and it's been working fine for a couple of years now, no leaks.
View attachment 37052
I see you got the colored pulley from Boomba before they discontinued them!👀

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
They call them degas bottles these days because are directly connected to the cooling system and operate at cooling system pressure. Coolant flows through them allowing any trapped air to be released into the bottle, hence the name degas.

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They call them degas bottles these days because are directly connected to the cooling system and operate at cooling system pressure. Coolant flows through them allowing any trapped air to be released into the bottle, hence the name degas.

Dave
So if i buy a new coolant tank i can do it myself?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So if i buy a new coolant tank i can do it myself?
That is a ridiculous quote. Those people are thieves. If its TRULY just your overflow tank (aka degas bottle), you can buy one for $10 here.

2015-2017 Mustang GT Coolant Overflow Tank Assembly | eBay

I didn't install an aftermarket tank, but I bought an OEM one from that same ebay site, and painted it. I bought a small hand pump to pump out the coolant in the bottle only, and left the hoses lifted and slightly clamped. It was pretty easy.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like thievery to me, considering I would think so in CDN funds, never mind US$. I cannot imagine that taking more than 90 minutes on flat rate. Unless the bottle new from Ford is some outrageous price, I don’t see where they came up with that number.

·
Super Moderator
6,116 Posts
As long as you buy one intended for the 2.3 Ecoboost. A lot of generic ones are intended to operate ambient air pressure not the 20 psi of the cooling system.

Dave
That is good info. I didn't realize it was operating at pressure. I've never opened it hot. ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I see you got the colored pulley from Boomba before they discontinued them!👀
Yeah, I got the very last set of lightweight pulleys they had. I really wanted the blue ones but they were all gone, along with all the silvers, and all the blacks, so it was red or nothing.

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK the dealer will attempt to rob you every time. It's like a gamble or a bluff. And they do it with a straight face. If you are out of warranty stay out of the dealership. Most state laws require the mechanic to give an estimate, which means they are stuck diagnosing. Neighborhood guys can handle if you don't want to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dealership estimates are based on time required to complete the job in the shop guide. The guide lists step-by-step instructions and an estimated time to complete a given job. The time listed is enough for the newest, least experienced tech, which means if you have a tech that's done the job a time or two (s)he will likely complete the job in much less time. But they have to give you an estimate that covers their expected costs because (in most states) they can't charge you more than a certain percentage over the estimate. In IL it's 10%.

A couple of posters here said they were able to replace their tanks in a couple of hours. I would judge someone willing to tackle a job like that without instructions to be a fairly experienced wrench, so assume the shop guide expects this job to take 2.5-3 hours for a newby. I don't know what your local dealership charges for shop time, but rates around the country can range from $75-$200 per hour. So do the math:

3 hours at $125/hr = $375. That leaves $75 for the parts.

Is unreasonable? Yes. But it is what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts