Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is lots of misunderstanding concerning the door latch issue. It is a NHTSA/DOT mandated "RECALL". It doesn't matter if your car has 200,000 miles on it and is out of warranty- it is a RECALL and Ford is required by law to fix each and every affected car.
I don't know which year models are covered by the RECALL but your Ford dealer can enter your VIN in his Ford computer and it will tell him every RECALL that has been issued for that VIN and it tells him if each and every RECALL has been fixed. I took my '15 in due to overheating shortly before it reached the 50,000 mile mark and the dealer told me about the RECALL on the door latches. My doors had never popped open while driving. They replaced the thermostat under warranty and the door latches under the RECALL.
If your Ford dealer tells you that your car is not covered by the door latch RECALL and your door(s) are opening while driving notify the NHTSA/DOT. If enough people with cars not covered by the RECALL complain to NHTSA/DOT they will order Ford to extend the RECALL to cover the cars that were not covered under the initial RECALL.
Have I clarified the difference between a RECALL and a warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for any advice. I have a 2017 Ecoboost premium convertible. I have recently had the problem of driving usually on the highway and my passenger door unlatches. I hear it and the the door open warning appears on the dash. So I have to pull over on the highway and open the door the rest of the way and shut it. It’s quite scary and annoying. Today it happened twice in a 35 minute commute. And I am positive the door is always shut to begin with. Today was the 7/8th time in the past two months.
I had called Ford and was told there were no recalls. Any advice? Currently at 80k miles so I am over the warranty, isn’t this a safety issue?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I completed the inspection on mine this morning. Fortunately, it is not included. It was a PITA to read those numbers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Holy mackerel!
I received a letter from Ford today telling me that my car was brought in for repair or replacement of the door latches under Recall 16S30. A FoMoCo investigation has revealed that some of the latches WERE NOT REPLACED or may NOT have been replaced CORRECTLY! So dealerships are billing Ford for the parts & labor to replace the latches but they're not doing the job!
There are some photos telling me how to copy a number off of the latches and then go to a website to identify them.

I wrote down the numbers (5147 on both latches) and went to the website. When I enter my VIN I get an error message!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I purchased my 2016 in June 2018 and in July 2018, the passenger's side door popped up. This side continues to be a problem on the highway. My driver's side opened once or twice. This is so dangerous! I researched it and there was a recall on 2015. I took it to Ford, but they didn't see anything wrong nor did they find a recall for the 2016. They said I could pay to replace the part and labor and Ford would reimburse me. Smh. I've called the Ford manufacturer and the same thing...nothing. They opened a case but I haven't heard anything since. That was in 2018. Just yesterday I took it to a mechanic that specializes in Ford cars. He couldn't find anything wrong. It seems as if we all need to get come together and continue to complain to Ford and get this dangerous situation resolved!

Hello everyone! I have a 2018 ford mustang premium convertible ecoboost. The passenger door keeps popping open as well while driving at highway speeds. Has anyone found a fix to this problem? I see multiple post about the problem but no solutions. I have been a troll on this sight for a while reading. I signed up today. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
12 Posts
There is a new recall on top of the original recall because many dealers have been less than truthful about performing the original recall. Since then they have extended the door latch recall to most models and not just the previous fusion, escape, transit. It’s a huge problem and will take some time to get done. Dealers must submit photos of the door latches to Ford before getting approval as of now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really wonder if the parts know the difference. Hopefully, Ford will 'adjust' their recall statement. Otherwise, it's time to hire a full time passenger to hold that door shut (duct tape?).
My 2018 Ecoboost premium convertible doing the same on passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I purchased my 2016 in June 2018 and in July 2018, the passenger's side door popped up. This side continues to be a problem on the highway. My driver's side opened once or twice. This is so dangerous! I researched it and there was a recall on 2015. I took it to Ford, but they didn't see anything wrong nor did they find a recall for the 2016. They said I could pay to replace the part and labor and Ford would reimburse me. Smh. I've called the Ford manufacturer and the same thing...nothing. They opened a case but I haven't heard anything since. That was in 2018. Just yesterday I took it to a mechanic that specializes in Ford cars. He couldn't find anything wrong. It seems as if we all need to get come together and continue to complain to Ford and get this dangerous situation resolved!
Got the same car, SAME PROBLEM!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same happened to me twice, driving from Miami to Orlando. Same year and model

Looking for any advice. I have a 2017 Ecoboost premium convertible. I have recently had the problem of driving usually on the highway and my passenger door unlatches. I hear it and the the door open warning appears on the dash. So I have to pull over on the highway and open the door the rest of the way and shut it. It’s quite scary and annoying. Today it happened twice in a 35 minute commute. And I am positive the door is always shut to begin with. Today was the 7/8th time in the past two months.
I had called Ford and was told there were no recalls. Any advice? Currently at 80k miles so I am over the warranty, isn’t this a safety issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a new recall on top of the original recall because many dealers have been less than truthful about performing the original recall. Since then they have extended the door latch recall to most models and not just the previous fusion, escape, transit. It’s a huge problem and will take some time to get done. Dealers must submit photos of the door latches to Ford before getting approval as of now.
I don’t know that it was “less than truthful” but that they didn’t perform/weren’t required to perform specific traceability. This is how they identify subsequent recalls which is why the second is documentation first and repair second. Sounds like at a minimum these latches are a continued problem if the replacement batches are also bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford Motor Company has discovered a problem with the door latch assembly in select vehicles from the past few model years, including the 2015 Ford Mustang fastback, the 2013-2015 Ford Focus, the 2013-2015 Ford Escape and a few other low volume models. Interestingly, this recall will only apply to vehicles located in select areas around the country where ambient air temperatures are, on average, the highest in the country.
The Door Latch Recall Explained
Ford engineers have discovered that when the door latch assemblies of the 2015 Mustang and the rest of the vehicles listed below are exposed to long periods of very high temperatures, there is a small component inside of the latch assembly called the pawl spring tab which is more prone to breaking. Should the pawl spring tab break, the door latch will not secure the door in place, allowing the door to fall back open.
This problem is most likely to happen when the owner of the Ford Mustang or one of these other Motor Company vehicles slams the door shut, so in those cases, it is more of a painful inconvenience than a safety issue.
However, if the tab breaks in a fashion where the driver or passenger of the Mustang is able to get the door to seem like it is properly latched – the door could call open when the vehicle is in motion. That creates a far greater safety risk and unfortunately, Ford has received reports of one accident and one injury which could be related to this recall.
The key factor to this recall is a high ambient temperature, so the vehicles recalled are only those which are or have been registered in select states with hotter climates. Right now, those locations are limited to Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.
The Fix
To solve this problem, the Ford dealership will replace the door latch assembly with a new unit, presumably with a pawl spring tab which is more resilient in high temperatures.
Vehicles Included
The vehicles included in this new Ford Motor Company door latch recall are listed below. Keep in mind that if you have one of the vehicles on the list below, but you do not live in one of the states listed above, you vehicle may not be included in this recall. If you live in a state bordering one of the states mentioned above, you should contact your local Ford dealership to see if your vehicle might be included in the recall.
2015 Ford Mustang
2014-2016 Ford Transit Connect
2012-2015 Ford Focus
2012-2015 Ford Escape
2012-2015 Ford C-Max
2015 Lincoln MKC

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Ecoboost Convertible as well and on a recent trip, first my wife’s door unlatched while on the highway, then mine. Already spent 1600 to replace a/c condenser and now this….REALLY!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
2018 ecoboost premium convertible here.
This unlatching in highway happened multiple times, with the message "Drivers door ajar".
I took the card to Ford dealer, paid $150 for service and they did nothing.
Recall for 2017 has been issued already (NHTSA Campaign 17V168000) but I didn't see any for the 2018s.
I recommend all 2018 and later owners to report their problems at the NHTSA. Perhaps with this we can expedite the recall.
I will show this to the Ford dealer today to see what they say....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My complaint number I filed in August with the NHTSA is 11429960. Everyone need to go on their website and complain.

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
61 Posts
The other day I got a recall letter for the door issue. But so far my doors have been ok. But time will tell. So the recall is out there.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts