Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer, I installed a MagnaFlow Street Series Cat-Back exhaust on my 18 PP w/ MT, mainly for getting the sound I wanted. I'm currently running Cobb stage 2, with a Mishimoto IC, Airaid intake tube, and Cobb drop-in filter.

I recently picked up a CP-E QKspl Catted Downpipe, which I plan to install some time over the next few weeks, and then I'll be heading over to PD Tuning. :p

Anyhow, I have a few questions...

1. The MagnaFlow exhaust is 2.5", except where it connects to the stock downpipe, where it narrows to 2.25" (for maybe a 6" length). The new downpipe is 3". So, the idea of that narrower bottleneck irritates me! Does anyone know of a bolt-on solution that will transition from 3" to 2.5", or ideally, a Y-pipe that transitions from single 3" to dual 2.5"? If no bolt-on options exist, I guess I can get something fabricated.

2. I'm also planning on switching to one-step colder plugs. Are there any other suggested (and relatively affordable ;)) performance mods I could or should do at the same time as the downpipe install, before I go for the custom tune?

3. Any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for when installing a downpipe?

Thanks, as always! I enjoy reading and learning in this forum. 👍🏼

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last summer, I installed a MagnaFlow Street Series Cat-Back exhaust on my 18 PP w/ MT, mainly for getting the sound I wanted. I'm currently running Cobb stage 2, with a Mishimoto IC, Airaid intake tube, and Cobb drop-in filter.

I recently picked up a CP-E QKspl Catted Downpipe, which I plan to install some time over the next few weeks, and then I'll be heading over to PD Tuning. :p

Anyhow, I have a few questions...

1. The MagnaFlow exhaust is 2.5", except where it connects to the stock downpipe, where it narrows to 2.25" (for maybe a 6" length). The new downpipe is 3". So, the idea of that narrower bottleneck irritates me! Does anyone know of a bolt-on solution that will transition from 3" to 2.5", or ideally, a Y-pipe that transitions from single 3" to dual 2.5"? If no bolt-on options exist, I guess I can get something fabricated.

2. I'm also planning on switching to one-step colder plugs. Are there any other suggested (and relatively affordable ;)) performance mods I could or should do at the same time as the downpipe install, before I go for the custom tune?

3. Any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for when installing a downpipe?

Thanks, as always! I enjoy reading and learning in this forum. 👍🏼
1.Absolutly, get rid of the 2.25” section. Your local auto parts store should have 3”-2:5” reducers on the shelf. Simply cut the 2.25“ section off.
2.Waste gate spring upgrade.
3.Do not tighten anything until it’s fitted where you want it. If you “think” you’ll need a 02 sensor adapter, put it on before installing the downpipe. If you are going to wrap your downpipe for heat managemen, do it before installation.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I concur with the wastegate upgrade. Even if you don't necessarily get the 10lb spring (which u will need a custom tune for), you will notice a performance improvement even with the 7lb spring. The stock wastegate is SUPER preloaded.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for the input! 👍🏼 I'll be researching some waste gate spring options, and will definitely plan to cut the narrower exhaust pipe section out completely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts