Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been looking into Catted Downpipes and was wondering some of y'all's experience out there.

The CVF catted downpipe is looking pretty good for the price.

Has anyone else used this downpipe or recommend any others?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think that may be the one with a flange. When I was researching downpipes, another forum member was having problems with leakage at the flange, which CVF took care of under warranty. You may want to search for "CVF downpipe" and see what comes up!

·
Registered
'72 Olympic Sprint Coupe (302ci V8) and '20 EcoBoost Fastback (2.3L I4)
10 Posts
I currently have the CVF catted on my '20. It bolts with a flat flange and comes with the needed gasket. You need to get a O2 sensor restrictor (I got: https://vibrantperformance.com/cata...=4786&osCsid=04b2d1803ee75061b1ac729de329fba6) or the CEL will turn on. The CEL warning is just that the cat is not working as efficiently as expected. It's only needed for the second sensor. Installation was pretty easy. I paired it with a MBRP Race cat-back. Installing both only took like 3-4 hours. To minimize chances of the downpipe leaking, tighten the first downpipe part (it comes in three pieces) to the turbo before connecting the bracket or rest of the pipes. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have the CVF catted on my '20. It bolts with a flat flange and comes with the needed gasket. You need to get a O2 sensor restrictor (I got: https://vibrantperformance.com/cata...=4786&osCsid=04b2d1803ee75061b1ac729de329fba6) or the CEL will turn on. The CEL warning is just that the cat is not working as efficiently as expected. It's only needed for the second sensor. Installation was pretty easy. I paired it with a MBRP Race cat-back. Installing both only took like 3-4 hours. To minimize chances of the downpipe leaking, tighten the first downpipe part (it comes in three pieces) to the turbo before connecting the bracket or rest of the pipes. Let me know if you have any questions.
Awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
177 Posts
How does the car feel after the DP install? What size insert did you use in the spacer?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you end up grabbing the CVF DP?

No, not yet. Hopefully getting in within a few weeks though! I need to talk with Ryan at PD Tuning to see how we are going to go about tuning for the downpipe. I'm not sure if the downpipe will be fine with the tune I have until a revision is sent. Have any of you done this before?

·
Registered
621 Posts
The 3" downpipe really woke up my Mustang! A 1/3 of a second quicker and 5 mph faster in the quarter mile.

Disclaimer: I also replaced the OEM catalytic converter with a high flow 200 cell catalytic converter, which may not be legal and also upgraded the OTS tune from stage 2 to stage 3, which may not be available.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3" downpipe really woke up my Mustang! A 1/3 of a second quicker and 5 mph faster in the quarter mile.

Disclaimer: I also replaced the OEM catalytic converter with a high flow 200 cell catalytic converter, which may not be legal and also upgraded the OTS tune from stage 2 to stage 3, which may not be available.
Awesome, good to know. Yeah, the CVF downpipe I was looking at also has a 200 cell catalytic converter. Did you by chance install the downpipe yourself? Just seeing if it is difficult or if I can knock it out by myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, I installed it myself. One thing I learned the hard way is to leave everything loose until you have it lined up and installed correctly, then tighten!

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
177 Posts
Awesome, good to know. Yeah, the CVF downpipe I was looking at also has a 200 cell catalytic converter. Did you by chance install the downpipe yourself? Just seeing if it is difficult or if I can knock it out by myself. Thanks!
I was talking with Jason and their DP is now a 3 piece design making it much easier to install. I will be installing it like this leaving the mounting bracket attached to the transmission, this gives the DP something to rest on while you tighten up the turbo flange bolts. Fit the rest together then come back and tighten all clamps and brackets.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Excellent! Let us know the advantages of the 5*tune over the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune!!
Something else I have been experimenting with is mixing fuel (93 octane and E85) and have had good initial results with. Since you have a pro tuner, you may want to ask him if it will be beneficial with your modifications??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent! Let us know the advantages of the 5*tune over the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune!!
Something else I have been experimenting with is mixing fuel (93 octane and E85) and have had good initial results with. Since you have a pro tuner, you may want to ask him if it will be beneficial with your modifications??
I just noticed I have a few E85 gas stations near my house, and I am tempted to try it out. Are there any downsides?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Currently I'm running 7 parts 93 octane and 1 part E85 on an OTS 93 octane stage 3 tune. Seems to be working well... I'll be doing some additional testing within the next few weeks. My goal is to start running E30 after getting a pro tune and perhaps even going all the way to E85 after that.

·
Registered
'72 Olympic Sprint Coupe (302ci V8) and '20 EcoBoost Fastback (2.3L I4)
10 Posts
Yes, I installed it myself. One thing I learned the hard way is to leave everything loose until you have it lined up and installed correctly, then tighten!
I concur that it's fairly easy to complete yourself with just a few tools and lift/jack stands. The hardest part is getting the stock resonator rubber hanger off the car. If you're only doing the downpipe you won't have to worry about that though.

And definitely leave everything loose at first. If you're going to use a restrictor, make sure you put it on first or you'll basically have to re-do the installation. At least for the restrictor design I used. It's really only need to keep the CEL off and pass emissions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts