Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my THIRD Mustang - a very gently used 2016 EcoBoost Convertible with 33,000 miles on it - ABSOLUETLEY LOVE IT!!!

NOTE - My first two Mustangs were a 1967 Coupe (6 cylinder with a 3 speed on the floor - All "show" and No "Go" but a nice little daily driver that I bought for $100 bucks in 1978, and a 68 coupe with the 289 V-8 (if I remember correctly) that I bought for parts... Great cars - loved them both......

Anyways - I digress - I just bought a used 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Convertible that I'm in LOVE with - Aaaaaaand HOLY SCHNIKIES does this BEAST have some POWER for a TurboCharged 4 cylinder engine !!!

Ok - enough gushing.........

My question to all of you reading this far - is this - "IF" I install one of those AirRaid style Cold Air Box systems for the intake, add some kind of a Tuner and install some kind of Cat-Back High Performance Exhaust system - Will the addition of all of those parts/systems (originally designed and advertised to "boost" horsepower) actually DECREASE the MPG capability of new my daily driver? Will there be a "trade off" of Increased Horse Power for Decreased MPG? (I'm thinking the answer is obviously "yes" but I want to hear what WAY more Knowledgable folks in this arena have to say on this topic).

I use my new Stang to commute here in Arizona - approx. 300 miles per week from Phoenix (1000' altitude) to Prescott (5400' altitude). I work in Prescott during the week and go home on the weekends to the Valley - so there's a "hill climb and a downhill run each week - hence "one of the reasons" that I bought my Stang (the "advertised 30mpg - which when I drive the "speed limit" - I am actually achieving).... (OK - The "coolness factor" however was the MAJOR reason I bought it over an Audi A8 or a Volvo C70 or a Scion xB) - wink wink nudge nudge !!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments

Az Combat Medic

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm going to defer to some of the more knowledgeable folks here, but I don't believe adding those sort of mods would in themselves decrease fuel economy. What I do believe is that you'll get lower fuel economy because your foot will tend to be a bit heavier knowing all you have to do is touch the throttle and off she goes :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If professionally tuned (rather than a canned off-the-shelf tune), then yes, a tune can also increase fuel economy.
However, in reality, you have so much fun in a tuned car, that you tend to drive it harder, so fuel savings are not so apparent.
The secret with any forced induction car is to stay off boost most of the time if you want good fuel economy.

To give you an example, I had my last car professionally tuned by one of the best tuners in the country.
I had larger injectors, CAI, downpipe, and a catback exhaust installed.
The car was dynoed before the mods and tune and it made 249 Kws (333Hp) at the wheels with 622Nm (458 Lb ft) of torque.
After the tune and mods, on the same day and conditions, it made 290Kws (389Hp) at the wheels and a whopping 776Nm (572Lb ft) of torque, on a max of 17 PSI boost.

After the tune and mods, my average fuel economy was better by around 2litres/100Kms, in normal daily driving with an even mix of city and highway.
But if I planted the foot, then, of course, fuel economy went out the window. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,237 Posts
My two cents on the topic.

It all depends on the driver. The increased performance can be used to actually get you better fuel economy, provided that after you modify it you can keep yourself from enjoying the extra power too much. I'm a terrible example. My driving style is a bit more spirited than is necessary for good mileage. I just can't bring myself to go slow enough to keep the MPGs up...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My cruising mileage stayed about the same after a plug swap, cat back and Ford performance tune with gt350 airbox.

It wasnt until I upgraded the intercooler that I saw a considerable increase in economy from 28 or 29mpg to 34mpg.

That increase in economy is subject to scrutiny though.

In North America the refineries switch to winter formations that have elevated levels of ethanol and butane, the transition back to summer gas is supposed to be complete by June 1rst, my intercooler went in on June 5th and i didn't get the car until Iate summer 2017.

Currently the car is getting cruising mileage of 28mpg in miserable sub zero temperatures with winter gas.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
So I just got my THIRD Mustang - a very gently used 2016 EcoBoost Convertible with 33,000 miles on it - ABSOLUETLEY LOVE IT!!!

NOTE - My first two Mustangs were a 1967 Coupe (6 cylinder with a 3 speed on the floor - All "show" and No "Go" but a nice little daily driver that I bought for $100 bucks in 1978, and a 68 coupe with the 289 V-8 (if I remember correctly) that I bought for parts... Great cars - loved them both......

Anyways - I digress - I just bought a used 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Convertible that I'm in LOVE with - Aaaaaaand HOLY SCHNIKIES does this BEAST have some POWER for a TurboCharged 4 cylinder engine !!!

Ok - enough gushing.........

My question to all of you reading this far - is this - "IF" I install one of those AirRaid style Cold Air Box systems for the intake, add some kind of a Tuner and install some kind of Cat-Back High Performance Exhaust system - Will the addition of all of those parts/systems (originally designed and advertised to "boost" horsepower) actually DECREASE the MPG capability of new my daily driver? Will there be a "trade off" of Increased Horse Power for Decreased MPG? (I'm thinking the answer is obviously "yes" but I want to hear what WAY more Knowledgable folks in this arena have to say on this topic).

I use my new Stang to commute here in Arizona - approx. 300 miles per week from Phoenix (1000' altitude) to Prescott (5400' altitude). I work in Prescott during the week and go home on the weekends to the Valley - so there's a "hill climb and a downhill run each week - hence "one of the reasons" that I bought my Stang (the "advertised 30mpg - which when I drive the "speed limit" - I am actually achieving).... (OK - The "coolness factor" however was the MAJOR reason I bought it over an Audi A8 or a Volvo C70 or a Scion xB) - wink wink nudge nudge !!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments

Az Combat Medic
Welcome to the forum! No, mines actually getting better.
I have the Airaid Cai and Magnaflow exhaust plus the stage 1 Cobbs tune. I went from 25.3 mph to 26.1 in just 2 weeks.
Even though I feel I'm standing on it more, it's getting better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a CAI and a upgraded exhaust plus intercooler and my mileage did drop to 28 mpg. All of that is completely my fault because of my foot! When I pay attention to how I drive, I average about 31 mpg.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have been driving turbo 4cyl compacts continuously since 1985. They have all been tuned, had a CAI and exhaust. I have gotten the same or better fuel.economy on all of them after the novelty of the extra power wore off.

Dave

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have Cobb tune Stage 2 with their CAI and IC, and MBRP street catback with stock DP. My mileage is as good or better than it was stock. Like the others here have said, you just have to restrain the impulse to enjoy the extra HP at every opportunity.

Reactions: Bill_B

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have CAI, IC, Sport Catback & tune. I feel my fuel economy has gotten slightly better.

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
I've not noticed any differences...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
If professionally tuned (rather than a canned off-the-shelf tune), then yes, a tune can also increase fuel economy.
However, in reality, you have so much fun in a tuned car, that you tend to drive it harder, so fuel savings are not so apparent.
The secret with any forced induction car is to stay off boost most of the time if you want good fuel economy.

To give you an example, I had my last car professionally tuned by one of the best tuners in the country.
I had larger injectors, CAI, downpipe, and a catback exhaust installed.
The car was dynoed before the mods and tune and it made 249 Kws (333Hp) at the wheels with 622Nm (458 Lb ft) of torque.
After the tune and mods, on the same day and conditions, it made 290Kws (389Hp) at the wheels and a whopping 776Nm (572Lb ft) of torque, on a max of 17 PSI boost.

After the tune and mods, my average fuel economy was better by around 2litres/100Kms, in normal daily driving with an even mix of city and highway.
But if I planted the foot, then, of course, fuel economy went out the window. :)
You can't be talking about a 2.3 Ecoboost here. Those HP/Torque /Boost numbers just don't make sense. But as far as everything else you are dead right. What kind of car was it?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You can't be talking about a 2.3 Ecoboost here. Those HP/Torque /Boost numbers just don't make sense. But as far as everything else you are dead right. What kind of car was it?
No it was no an Ecoboost... It was an inline 6, 4-0 litre turbo Ford Falcon XR6. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts