Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching a video shared by Strockercrate on another thread. And they touched on a subject that I have had questions about!
When switching to E30 or E85 ethanol, what spark plugs and what spark plug gap is recommended? and why??
In the video they talked about reducing the spark plug gap to "24" or "23"...!??

·
Registered
258 Posts
First and foremost, I would say ask your tuner. The bottom line is the more horsepower your making, regardless of how you increased it, the more combustion pressure you'll have. At some point of increasing combustion pressure, you'll find the limit of the plug gap your using or the limit of your ignition coils. The cheapest fix at this point is to reduce the plug gaps, but how low of a plug gap can you go, before running in to other problems? When you start running in to other problems, it would make sense to go with a higher capacity coil.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm headed up to the Ford Dealership to pick up the 05W-50 motor oil I use in my 2018 Ecoboost Mustang. In 2018 this oil was optional for track use.... Now from information you guys have shared (and thank you!), the 2020 Mustang HPP and the Ford Focus RS, use this same oil as standard issue!
And it just got the wheels in my mind turning... Does the HPP & RS have other standard performance upgrades over the base Ecoboost? Spark Plugs and Coil Packs for example (a couple items I'm thinking of changing in the near future).

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled my plugs and cleaned them. Gap of plugs measured .29, reset gap to .26, will be testing at track, with E15 before making any additional modifications.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I went with the ngk rutheniums at .026. A little pricey, but I'm impressed so far.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jake, switching to those plugs, over the NGK iridium 6510, did you notice any differences? Those ruthenium’s are hard to get in Canada. I tried at the local Benson auto parts, and Napa. I’m just wondering if paying the extra cost to get a set shipped from the US, would be worth it. I appreciate your feedback. I’m also running 0.026 with pump ultra 94, or any other 91 with e10. I can’t really get ethanol easily around here, so I run VP madditive, because it’s 24.99 a bottle at crappy tire. Sometimes goes on sale for 19.99. Think how cheap that is in usd, it’s crazy. To OP I don’t think you need to change your coil packs, I’m pretty sure most high hp EB Mustangs, run the stock coil packs. Even Jesse Ringley’s 800whp one. I thought about changing mine, because they aren’t overly expensive and would look better, and I guess perform better, just not a necessary mod IMO. To each their own tho and really I don’t know the reason why you don’t need upgraded coil packs, I’ve just noticed lots of builds they just run the OEM ones.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Jake, switching to those plugs, over the NGK iridium 6510, did you notice any differences? Those ruthenium’s are hard to get in Canada. I tried at the local Benson auto parts, and Napa. I’m just wondering if paying the extra cost to get a set shipped from the US, would be worth it. I appreciate your feedback. I’m also running 0.026 with pump ultra 94, or any other 91 with e10. I can’t really get ethanol easily around here, so I run VP madditive, because it’s 24.99 a bottle at crappy tire. Sometimes goes on sale for 19.99. Think how cheap that is in usd, it’s crazy. To OP I don’t think you need to change your coil packs, I’m pretty sure most high hp EB Mustangs, run the stock coil packs. Even Jesse Ringley’s 800whp one. I thought about changing mine, because they aren’t overly expensive and would look better, and I guess perform better, just not a necessary mod IMO. To each their own tho and really I don’t know the reason why you don’t need upgraded coil packs, I’ve just noticed lots of builds they just run the OEM ones.
To be completely honest, I'm not sure if they are any better than the 6510's, but I wanted to give them a try. I had heard a lot of good things so I pulled the trigger at the same time I was doing an intercooler and the tune. I've never tried the 6510's, just jumped from factory ones. I will say they are better than factory, of course. At times, I got hesitation, and they didn't seem to keep a tight gap for me. To get them in Canada over the 6510's? I'm not sure I'd worry. The difference is likely undetectable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts